Old 01 November 2012, 18:11   #11

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Eh?
I'm in the bilges and "immersion heaters" aren't.
Cosy.

Old 01 November 2012, 18:26   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I rented my old house for a while ( rathar then get stung with 5k early repayment fees ) . I did it all myself and there were issues - the cooker packed up - I drove to currys , bought a new one and took it round and wired it in ...in two hours... it was cheaper and better all round than trying to get it fixed.

If said landlord/agent cant chase a tradesman or find a decent one they shouldn't be doing it. In my exp of renting most dont really try as they know there is not much the tenant can do ( if they are decent themselves) ...

As for letting agents .....dont get me started - how much for a credit check/ referance !!!! They wanted to do one on me when I wasn't working....and had offered to oay the six months rent up front in advance-- they still insisted --250 for naff all ...except thier pure profit ...

Old 01 November 2012, 18:54   #13

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
I rented my old house for a while ( rathar then get stung with 5k early repayment fees ) . I did it all myself and there were issues - the cooker packed up - I drove to currys , bought a new one and took it round and wired it in ...in two hours... it was cheaper and better all round than trying to get it fixed.
For a start that would now be illegal assuming your not a certified electrician or gas safe engineer ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 01 November 2012, 19:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards

For a start that would now be illegal assuming your not a certified electrician or gas safe engineer ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
But wasn't at the time , and I think you are still allowed to do basic stuff at home....

Also had water leaks, dealt with myself, and electric rads fail.....so got someone in that after noon.
Old 01 November 2012, 19:05   #15

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post

Only if was a gas cooker!
Old 01 November 2012, 19:06   #16

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
out of interest part p allows for an exchange of switchgear by a competent person, a compentent person is someone who holds an electrical qualification .. as long as no fixed wiring is touched no certs are needed but i would carry out a visual inspection and test the circuit anyway. of course i could have the definition wrong
Old 01 November 2012, 19:12   #17

Anyhow....I wired the cooker in. it was and still is three wires. I also fixed the lights in my garage as theold strip lights had packed up...fixed wiring....best go I can hear the sirens........
Old 01 November 2012, 19:41   #18

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Anyhow....I wired the cooker in. it was and still is three wires. I also fixed the lights in my garage as theold strip lights had packed up...fixed wiring....best go I can hear the sirens........
Run pete!!
Old 02 November 2012, 03:58   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Unfortunately bingosucks is right. Under the regs all you can do these days is change a lightbulb unless you are a 'competent' person which in their eyes means you are a qualified sparky. Personally I think it is wrong and clearly most people don't care otherwise B&Q wouldn't do such a good trade in selling shiny sockets and light fittings to joe public.

And as for your mortgage, if you don't tell your mortgage company that you are letting your property out, they can get a bit uppity. Technically it would have been a change of mortgage to a by-to-let and therefore the 5k would have been due.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2012, 04:04   #20

Town: Plymouth
It's all about covering your arse which is even more important on house letting as its others at risk instead of yourself in your own home. I think your supposed to get a 2 yearly safety check on all electrical equipment and also gas etc now too.

Had it of been a plug in job its ok. Stupid but such is life nowadays