Old 31 January 2008, 21:32   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Pretty rough out there

Weather must be worse than I thought. We had a 2hr powercut last night - the first in years.

Just been to check on my boat after seeing on the news waves breaking over our harbour wall. Everything fine thank God - wore a lifejacket on the pontoons as they move around a hell of a lot. A mate of mine likened it to one of those "fun house" moving walkways........

Just seen this on the news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/7221237.stm

Passengers and crew are being airlifted from a ferry in the Irish Sea after it was hit by a freak wave in bad weather.
The Riverdance, which sails from Warrenpoint in Northern Ireland to Heysham in Lancashire, is listing to 60 degrees after its cargo shifted.

Hope everyone gets off ok - a heli rescue in that weather can't be much fun!!!

Fairplay to the BBC they have provided this link to show where the ship is - suprised they have even heard of AIS.........

http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=livbay
Old 01 February 2008, 09:52   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Not that great here either - was planning to go out and see the final visit of the QE2 to these parts before it becomes part of the Dubai skyline, but they have just cancelled and bypassed due to forecast 45kt winds

Got to see it (just) but not what I hoped - was looking forwards to taking a better look from close up. Some of the new cruise ships might be bigger but they sure don't have the majesty of the old lady. Bit like comparing a Honda NSX to a Bentley.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 11:33   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I'm guessing Dave Mallett (Wavelength Training) will be involved with this one. It sounds like the winching operation would have been a nightmare
Old 01 February 2008, 15:52   #4

Apparently the ferry was hit by a "freak wave" - funny how many there are when it's a force 10................
Old 01 February 2008, 16:37   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
It's aground now on Blackpool north shore.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2008, 20:42   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Yep been there, done that etc etc
a tad cold and blowy down there ! - and now half the population of the uk has come to look at it. Place is gridlocked. Thank goodness for blues and twos
Old 03 February 2008, 19:07   #7

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Apparently it may still be aground for a few weeks. If anyone is offered any soggy "sea salt" flavour Chocolate digestives recommend you turn them down apparently they are the only item to be washed up so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449 small.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	32627  
Old 03 February 2008, 19:14   #8

I would love to know what right they have to stop someone walking along a public beach - do they actually have that right???

And remember to hand in any soggy biscuits you find to the nearest Police station.............
Old 03 February 2008, 22:00   #9

Quote:
I would love to know what right they have to stop someone walking along a public beach
exclusion order by secretary of state 500m radius from centre of vessel- you feel better now codders, now that you know?
You really want people walking in the whiplash area if the cableing breaks, or around the vessel while the Seaking is hovering and winching above them -which of course he wouldn't do and then we would get nowhere would we! Or perhaps kids under the wheels of the dutch salvage company's vehicles would make the newspaper story so much more interesting. And then there is the matter of a certain bit of sub sand pipework!
Old 03 February 2008, 22:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
exclusion order by secretary of state 500m radius from centre of vessel- you feel better now codders, now that you know?
You really want people walking in the whiplash area if the cableing breaks, or around the vessel while the Seaking is hovering and winching above them -which of course he wouldn't do and then we would get nowhere would we! Or perhaps kids under the wheels of the dutch salvage company's vehicles would make the newspaper story so much more interesting. And then there is the matter of a certain bit of sub sand pipework!
Obviously during the actual winching operation but what about the rest of the time??? It seems it may be there for a while............

Look at this video and tell me truthfully what harm could come to anyone walking on the beach

And it looks like it's a 400m zone. Not only that but it appears that this is a Maritime law - surely that would not apply above the HW mark??? They have even closed off part of the prom..........
Old 04 February 2008, 06:49   #11

They even closed the coast road for a 1/4 mile stretch causing chaos in the area, typical police over reaction if only they could put the same effort into crime detection as they do to p***ing the public about and another thing what about the cost I bet the overtime forms are getting a hammering rant rant rant rant
Old 04 February 2008, 20:48   #12

Fred- complete rubbish, that prom has no exit at the end and hasnt had for weeks cos of tramway repairs-with the heavy plant now manouevering on site there is no exit at all after the barriers and is just one big cul-de-sac.
Codprawn - that bit of prom now bears absolutely no resembelance to how it was then. Full of steel cable trucks cranes etc ready to go onthe beach. It is now a construction site not a promenade.
Thats me finished with this thread.
Old 06 February 2008, 19:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Fred- complete rubbish, that prom has no exit at the end and hasnt had for weeks cos of tramway repairs-with the heavy plant now manouevering on site there is no exit at all after the barriers and is just one big cul-de-sac.
Codprawn - that bit of prom now bears absolutely no resembelance to how it was then. Full of steel cable trucks cranes etc ready to go onthe beach. It is now a construction site not a promenade.
Thats me finished with this thread.
I was up there a few weeks ago and despite the tram works was still able to drive down the promenade. last Sunday when i took the picture the police had closed a section of it ie there was a police van at one end and another at the other end stopping people from passing by so not complete rubbish
Old 06 February 2008, 20:04   #14

Nothing suprises me any more.

Last year the passenger ship Balmoral hit a submerged object by Swansea docks and started taking on water. The boat made it's way back to it's berth by the ferry terminal and the firebrigade and lifeboat attended to pump out the water. A very trivial event to be honest.

Opposite the berth is a breakwater which is very popular for people to stroll along or fish from. It is the other side of the river about 200yds away. ABP decided to send a security guard over to close the breakwater. Even the poor guard was so embarrassed that he kept telling people he couldn't really stop them if they wanted to pass so everyone did.

I would just love to know what sort of lunatic came up with the idea - what went through his tiny mind when he passed the order...........

Even better - when it was all over - the TV crews turned up and the lifeboat did a rerun just for the news!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050032.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	32717