Old 11 December 2009, 16:38   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Powerboat F1 deaths

Just seen this tragic event in Dubai- having provided spectator boats to the British events I have been close to these helms and despite safety cover they did not make it, very sad

Tragic deaths at Class 1 powerboating final Grand Prix
The sport of powerboating is reeling following the deaths of the two pilots of the Victory 1 powerboat while challenging for the World title in the final Grand Prix of the 2009 season.

The accident happened during the Dubai Grand Prix, the final round of the Class 1 World Powerboat Championship.The two pilots, Mohammad Al Mehairi from the UAE and Jean-Marc Sanchez of France representing the Dubai Victory Team, were involved in a high-speed crash during the early stages of the race at the Dubai International Marine Club, which was subsequently red flagged.

Safety personnel attended to both pilots at the scene. They were subsequently airlifted to a local hospital, where all efforts to resuscitate them were in vain.

The Victory Team, UIM, WPPA, DIMC and IOTA have expressed their deepest condolences to the families of both pilots.

As a mark of respect to both pilots and their families the event organisers have cancelled tomorrow's race and all event activities.

http://www.class-1.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=882
Old 11 December 2009, 22:53   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
At leat they were on the gas at the time I can think of worse ways ro go. Genuine condolences to those left behind
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote