Old 02 November 2007, 16:32   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Postal Service Rant

Anyone noticed how bad the postal service has got recently. Notwithstanding the strikes it seems the Posties have become a law unto themselves.
I remember when you used to get First class post before you went to work and the second class would follow just before midday. That included most of the nineties. Now where I live we get one post a day and its delivered about 1100 hrs. Yet you can still pay for First and Second Class ! And my rant is that quite often we don't get anypost at all. I don't live in the middle of nowhere, I live in the South of England and expect the best of services because this is where most people live in this damn Country.
Am I expecting too much ? Maybe one of those Postmen that had to be bribed with a new car to get them to work might take a few moments out of their busy day to reply.
A couple of weeks ago I visited our local Post Office Collection point at 1400 hrs, because they had lost a parcel of mine, and it was like a ghost town. Everything was shut up.
Its about time the mail was sold off and we got some decent competition.
And why should I phone a 0870 number to get my mail forwarded. Its a god damn public service and I've already paid for it god knows how many times in taxes.
Old 02 November 2007, 16:39   #2

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Yeah, it's been terrible recently. I've a weekly magazine subscription and the mag normally arrives on a Friday. For the last three weeks it hasn't arrived until the following Thursday, so its a week out of date. Kind of useless as it's a politics / news mag.

Wouldn't surpirse me if the posties were on an unofficial go slow after their last strike. I used to be against competition in the mail service but I think it's the right way to go now. It'd help put a rocket up their arse.
Old 02 November 2007, 17:44   #3

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
A friend of mine tried to apply for a job as a postman the other day. She was told they could only e-mail her the application form! They *would not send it in the post*.

Talk about killing their own business.
Old 02 November 2007, 20:10   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That's progress for you....

It's incredible to think that back in Victorian days there was a much better service. I love reading the Sherlock Holmes stories and they always say about deliveries going on all day. and they even had a telephone!!!

"Then, in most places, there are two or three deliveries in a day. In London there are so many that the postman seems to be on his feet all day. But in London and a few other towns the postmen have one great advantage- there is no Sunday deñvery, so that the postman has that day for rest, and can go with his family to the house of God."
Old 03 November 2007, 13:15   #5

Well I got my mail today. Big pile dumped through the door.
I'd complain but its not as if it would do any good.
I also noticed the postie was using his own car to go from street to street. And I always though being a postie was a way of getting fit.
Old 03 November 2007, 19:23   #6

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
There's still a backlog from the strike in some areas which isn't helping at the moment.

However, there is a creeping re-organisation of postal serviices which is quite stealthy. For example, how many people are aware that Sunday/BH collections from boxes outside post offices are being withdrawn? Obviously it's not massively used but it's one of those things that when you need it, you really need it! Similar story with the collection desks - used to be open 6am-6.30pm so most people could go before or after work. Now - 7.00 - 1.00pm (too late for many lunch breaks even)

Most areas only have one delivery a day now and this tends to be later than before. In fact, if you don't like that, you should have supported the strike action because the revised working times will make delivery even later.

I don't think generally you can blame individual posties - I've found most of them pretty good (except the one who collects from the post office over the road from us - he's an awkward PITA jobsworth)

I'm sure there's parts of the service that are inefficient but I think that's the price you pay to get a decent service across a massive network. By reducing expected delivery standards, you can call it efficient because you then have less to do overall to maintain that service. lUnfortunately the senior management are on a drive to squeeze every last drop out of it (private equity style? . . .hmmm) I think this will produce a service quality and morale backlash that will just make things worse.

The roots of the problem go back years to when the govenrment was taking out £500m pa instead of leaving it in Royal Mail to invest in equipment and infrastructure.

Also if you use your local post office, keep your eyes open in case it's on the closure list - rolling programme across the country with Hants / IoW in progress at the moment. Make sure you complain if you want it to stay open.
Old 03 November 2007, 20:37   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I'd complain but its not as if it would do any good.
So you thought you would come on here and bump your gums instead

Afterall for just 32p you can post a letter at 5pm in southampton and it will normally arive at its UK destination the next day... or for as little as 22p you can send non urgent mail which will arrive a few days later.

I believe a similar sized letter travelling a similar distance in the US will cost you about 58cents for 3 days service, BUT over $4 to do it in 2 days - and $16 to send it next day!

Whilst the Swiss - reputed to have the most efficient service in europe - will charge you around 42p for their first class service and 36p for second class.
Old 03 November 2007, 20:48   #8

Are those other services subsidised ?

150 million squid last year from the government to Royal mail.
Old 03 November 2007, 20:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Yup. Why not !
Old 03 November 2007, 20:51   #10

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:

Afterall for just 32p you can post a letter at 5pm in southampton and it will normally arive at its UK destination the next day... or for as little as 22p you can send non urgent mail which will arrive a few days later.

I believe a similar sized letter travelling a similar distance in the US will cost you about 58cents for 3 days service, BUT over $4 to do it in 2 days - and $16 to send it next day!

Whilst the Swiss - reputed to have the most efficient service in europe - will charge you around 42p for their first class service and 36p for second class.
Sorry Polly, you got that all wrong. 43 cents next day service in AZ,( maybe 2 days if you are out in the boonies) bear in mind that AZ is the size of England, 43 cents for all USA 2-3 days. I am talking about the mail service not private company like Fed-Ex. Typically, I get a letter from the UK in 3-4 days from post mark.
Old 03 November 2007, 21:33   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Sorry Polly, you got that all wrong. 43 cents next day service in AZ,( maybe 2 days if you are out in the boonies) bear in mind that AZ is the size of England, 43 cents for all USA 2-3 days. I am talking about the mail service not private company like Fed-Ex. Typically, I get a letter from the UK in 3-4 days from post mark.
I believe - although I may be misinformed - that 43 cents is not for a comparable size/weight to the UK 32p stamp? So for a letter that is up to 100g (thats about 4oz) and is standard A4 (or US Letter) folded in 3.
Old 03 November 2007, 22:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Are those other services subsidised ?

150 million squid last year from the government to Royal mail.
I am not sure. I believe they both have monopolies and I think they are both government owned?

As I understand the polical/accountancy spin the mail service (collection and delivery of mail) is profitable but the post office counters are not - especially in rural areas, the £150m subsidy is supposed to be to support that.

Given that the government is one of the major users of the postal service if that money had to be found from postage costs we as tax payers, and users of british goods and services would be paying it anyway.
Old 03 November 2007, 22:09   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:

Yup. Why not !
Because at least if you bumped your gums to the Royal Mail or your MP then there is a remote possibility that they would care!
Old 03 November 2007, 23:03   #14

I think thats a very remote possibility.
Old 03 November 2007, 23:06   #15

Anyway seeing as I've got to bump my gums locally with the parish council as regards, Railways, traffic calming and cycle paths. The monolith of a Post Office is not high on my list.

Personally if I know its important I send stuff via the private delivery services. At least then I know its going to get where its supposed to on time. Funny that the GPO can't manage that with their vast resources.
Old 04 November 2007, 00:28   #16

Polly
I just checked and the min. charge is 43 cents for a 3.3 oz. A4 letter.
Pretty close eh!
regards T.
Old 04 November 2007, 06:48   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Thing is, the post office isn't exactly helped by the staff it employs.

Having worked for them on many occasions I think the best description I can give the staff is lazy workshy ****s. When they leave the post office they usually come back when they realise how hard people are expected to work in the private sector.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2007, 09:33   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Polly
I just checked and the min. charge is 43 cents for a 3.3 oz. A4 letter.
Pretty close eh!
regards T.
OK I stand corrected. I suppose 2 years ago that would have been the same price as here - now since your ecconomy has starting going tits up it is about 20p!
Old 05 November 2007, 15:59   #19

Quote:
OK I stand corrected. I suppose 2 years ago that would have been the same price as here - now since your ecconomy has starting going tits up it is about 20p!
These comparisons can be very deceiving if you use the exchange rate. Bear in mind that the dollar has about the same purchasing power in the US as the pound has in the UK. I have done many comparisons ranging from property, grocerys, insurance, car repair etc. and find this to be gernerally true. So in fact, the 43 cents for a letter is much more expensive than the 32P in the UK. so this is an exception as is petrol, but in the other direction. However, it does apply to anywhere from 1/2 a mile to 3000 miles delivery.
An income of 40k ( either currency) per year will produce about the same standard of living in both countrys providing that income is derived in that country. However, if it is derived in the US and you are in the UK you will be a poor man. If it is derived in the UK and you are in the US then you are a rich man. Fortunately part of my income is derived in the UK. so I am laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 06 November 2007, 16:24   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Yup. Why not !
Well (since you asked!) because I, for one, am getting pretty bored of you using RIBnet to bitch, moan and whine about everything that you feel is wrong about the country, the government and life in general.

I'm sure that you sometimes have a fair point to make, but you do seem to find more things to feel aggrieved about than most. Either way, there are better places for it than RIBnet.

Please stop. This is a formal RIBnet ASBO

John