Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallse
Fair enough
What? You can't let us down by not fighting your corner, Chris! What happened to that undying brand loyalty for Land Rovers?

I think there's a bit more to the MoD story than just reliability.... in a war situation, equipment servicing goes hand in hand with suppply chain management, and anything unrepairable gets buried and left behind. The tax payer then just supplies a new unit. A major problem that's dogged the MoD is the dangerous handling characteristics of the Land Rover Wolf with off-road tyres when driven on tarmac - many serious injuries and fatalities have occurred. This is probably more pertinent than the reliability issues - a REME workshop can repair almost anything, but not broken squaddies.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2004, 22:23   #43

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
If Daniel wants to buy a L200 thats fine by me, but i stand by what i said and i think Daniel agreed with me that the Landy is the best 4x4, as for the MOD problem with tyres, I think that not only can't you fix squaddies you also can't teach them to drive Remember when they used to drive the TD's under water and blow up the engines

LAND ROVER THE BEST 4X4 BY FAR.... and its on my windscreen to prove it
Old 13 September 2004, 23:10   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Good old moddy Landy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	8160   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	8161  
Old 14 September 2004, 07:54   #45
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Disco V L200

Having owned various jeep , 92 Disco , 96 lwb trooper , 95 swb pajero , 02 l200 , and been a big LR fan , and love 110, and 90 I have to say , But it is like compairing apples to oranges.

With the Disco , the cluch went(from blown oil seal), then the cluch fork broke, then the cluch slave cylinder went, then steering damper, and finaly it needed wheel bearings in the front......... Sold it and never look back

I have covered a couple of hunderd thousand miles in Jap 4x4 and the only part I have ever replaced is a cv jiont rubber........

I towed a j24 sail boat From Italy to Ireland (l200) , and I had the option of using 2 year old RR , but AA Ireland refused cover!!!! L 200 no problems.

OK the Jap stuff might not be techainal as agile as a LR or RR , but 90% of the time these 4x4 spend there life on tarmac, not up a mountan or in up to there ears in mud, I am a builder and tow a lot, I am in sites a lot, and I also do about 22,000 miles per year.......

I would not swap the comfert of a Jap jeep for a Defender, or risk scratching and dinging a disco or RR on a site..........

JAP jeeps are overall far superiour to any LR product ...... to to people who say RR to me , I would like to piont out Toyota VX landcruser....... might not be as pretty but it much better all over, infact I know a few ribs with the same engine !

my cousin has bough 2 new RR one in 2001 and one in 2004 , the 2001, was replaced after 3 months with a new one , over 60 problems , and the 2004 has had 47 faults repared, things like passanger window wont open every time , driver door handle coming off when you open the door , etc .........

HAving said all that against LR products, they do have a certain class that no Jap jeep maker can touch...... MY wish list is defender 110 crew cab , followed by the new RR,

As for the L200 , its just good, reliable, comfetable, and does exactly what it say on the tin, so to speek , with no suprises , and AC, EW, CD, rear diff lock etc etc
Old 14 September 2004, 08:01   #46

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I will not change my DAIHATSU 2.8TDL for any other. Has done 130000 miles from new, been to Greecve and back 3 times during that period (two towing a boat), and the only thing we replaced has been the thermostat.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2004, 18:53   #47

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Porsche Cayenne?

I've had a look at both the Cayenne and the VW Touareg.

No comparison!

The Cayenne may be quicker but - according to Press comment - the Touareg is "better" in just about every area except absolute performance. I have to agree with them!

I guess it is a matter of personal taste really, but IMHO, the Touareg is fitted out to a higher standard and is every bit a "luxury" car. It also gets some superb reviews for both its on road and off road performance.

I tried a V10 5 litre diesel recently. Not because I wanted to buy that model but because I wanted to try the air suspension and check out the relative road noise between a diesel and a petrol version. Wow! At 7.8 seconds 0-62 for such a heavy car, it has what might be described as petrol-like performance!

In case anyone is interested. I have now ordered a 3 litre diesel Touareg (due out shortly) for delivery in February.

Regards,

Chris.
Old 27 September 2004, 00:42   #48

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
speaking of the Porsche 4 x 4 thing I touched one today with my wing mirror in a lane and it exploded into fragments totally disintergrated without a scratch to the one on my boxer van.

They must be made of eggshells.
Old 27 September 2004, 01:50   #49

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5
landrover lost the 101 replacement as the 130 defender was not up to the job
merc have it with the little gs truck

land rover have set up a full inspection and test centre at a mod base for putting right problems on brand new wolfs before they hit service read LRO.
they find five out of ten wolfs have unfit for service problems
the mod have expressed concern about wolfs having to be return to dealers
for repairs my local agent as about four wolfs each time i go from woolwich
not good during a war

the royal salute guns are now pulled by german merc gs trucks with 30 k service intervals
By Merc GS trucks I assume you mean the Pinzgauers? If so they are NOT Merc but believe it or not built by a British company!!!
Old 27 September 2004, 01:54   #50

Have missed most of this thread but can't believe people are reffering to these VW/Porsche things as offroaders!

They are great cars - I have drivena v10 Tuoraeg for quite a few miles - it was great but what exactly is it? Too high to be a sports cars - way too low to be an offroader!

There is no way either would go the places my 110 would! By the way my 110 still refuses to leak oil or breakdown!
Old 27 September 2004, 08:52   #51

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
By Merc GS trucks I assume you mean the Pinzgauers? If so they are NOT Merc but believe it or not built by a British company!!!

Do you mean built? Or assembled? We had a Pinz to replace our 6 Wheel 110 for towing the Argo to jobs. Slooooooow..... but then it was one of the Austrian built ones.. perhaps that's the difference? Are they still using VW components?
Old 27 September 2004, 09:11   #52

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepSol
speaking of the Porsche 4 x 4 thing I touched one today with my wing mirror in a lane and it exploded into fragments totally disintergrated without a scratch to the one on my boxer van.

They must be made of eggshells.

I hope you stopped and left your address!
Old 27 September 2004, 09:37   #53

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Of course.

Happened to be the Chairman of a very large corporation. He owns a Sunseeker Predator 65.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Do you mean built? Or assembled? We had a Pinz to replace our 6 Wheel 110 for towing the Argo to jobs. Slooooooow..... but then it was one of the Austrian built ones.. perhaps that's the difference? Are they still using VW components?
Totally British built but still use a VW engine - they bought the rights to the thing and have added their own improvements!