Old 15 February 2009, 15:21   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Poor/bad customer service

Not sure if others have seen this problem recently. I have been busy getting boats ready for new season and have been out visiting shows and chandleries. I have called many companies who advertised the items I was seeking, varying from PFD's, gloves, covers and bits and bobs. I use regular companies who have remained good but did not stock the addtional items.
I then have to say that many companies failed to return calls, and prices for my review. I cannot make out if this has been a mistake or stupidity by a member of staff. The problem then lies with these companies going to the wall and the staff being laid off and possibly there was business to take but missed. Is this a wake up call for others who employ staff to re iterate the need to look after new and regulary customers?
This is not meant as a rant but to tell others of some experiences during this recession. Easy for me self employed means I need business to be paid. Hope others have better experiences and I have been unlucky recently, but safe to say I wont order from those companies who fail to talk to me (no one on Ribnet as far as I am aware)
Old 15 February 2009, 15:37   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I agree - its like companies are using the ' downturn' etc as an excuse for not caring anymore.

If I'm buying 'expensive' things I'm a one chance kind of guy , but for smaller stuff maybe 2 or three goes just to allow for those 'bad day' situations like being non-stop busy , some kind of drama etc.

Some places you get faultless service for a 90p bulb , at others a £900 bit of electrics doesn't seem worth buying. Mind you had my car seviced Friday quoted £500 quid ! Paid £400 as I just asked if they could do anything to make it cheaper ! I'm asking for discount on everything at the mo!

One point alot of people miss is (even if employed) - they should still do some work to get paid (not just turn up to a place of work ! )
Old 15 February 2009, 15:42   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
What I'm finding is a little different. I hate using phones, always have and always will so I email allot. I find a hell of allot of companies don't answer emails. And when I do ring they either say it's down to an over sight or hadn't checked emails! Why have an online outlet?
I used to find it allot with photographic supplies.

Mine is a rant
Old 15 February 2009, 15:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
What I'm finding is a little different. I hate using phones, always have and always will so I email allot. I find a hell of allot of companies don't answer emails. And when I do ring they either say it's down to an over sight or hadn't checked emails! Why have an online outlet?
I used to find it allot with photographic supplies.

Mine is a rant
I do find this too - alot of companies set things up then never bother using them properly, but I find that you can tell alot by phone manner as to what service you will get ( and you can ask for cheeky discounts ! )
Old 15 February 2009, 16:34   #5

Town: Coventry
Boat name: Eco XR24
Make: Eco-Marine
Length: 7m +
It may not be entirely the company's fault. We've had many conversations recently with people who've had problems with email not arriving or not being received. Possibly because of over-zealous spam filters - or because they receive so much spam that they accidentally delete real emails along with the junk. Please don't give up if you rely on email communication.

Our company, for example, has had real problems with people using btinternet and yahoo accounts which apparently randomly appear or disappear at will - and we're very aware that reflects badly on us!
Old 15 February 2009, 17:14   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I agree -

One point alot of people miss is (even if employed) - they should still do some work to get paid (not just turn up to a place of work ! )
Good point, shame a few others dont realise this
Old 22 February 2009, 20:34   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:

Absolutely I'm constantly astonished by people who think they are owed a living, even more so when they are contractors, like what I am.
Old 23 February 2009, 08:39   #8

As a follow up on this - I was pleading to get hold of some antifoul on here a week or so ago ( thanks to all who responded - job now done ). I called a local chandlers - had to leave a message as the answerphone said they were busy ' serving other customers' - right I called 3 times over the course of 3 hours !

They returned my call a WEEK later ! You could say they had missed the boat !

Just to add - this was no-one who was recommended on here
Old 23 February 2009, 09:32   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Things are getting very difficult, suppliers are now not holding stock and their distributors or the manufacturers are also holding back. Credit accounts are being withdrawn and payers are getting slower!

Even for a well meaning business it can be quite hard to have the right stuff at the right time.

On the subject of online shops, it is getting to be a full time job keeping the prices up to date - too slow and you stand to make a loss as some products shoot up by more than the margin.

Harsh times.
Old 23 February 2009, 09:58   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Natural selection

Quote:
As a follow up on this - I was pleading to get hold of some antifoul on here a week or so ago ( thanks to all who responded - job now done ). I called a local chandlers - had to leave a message as the answerphone said they were busy ' serving other customers' - right I called 3 times over the course of 3 hours !

They returned my call a WEEK later ! You could say they had missed the boat !

Just to add - this was no-one who was recommended on here
It,s 200 years since the birth of Charles Darwin,it's not just animal species his law of 'natural selection' apllies too!this type of shoddy practice,which we all experiance from time to time will ultimately put these operations on the scrap heap,now,quicker than ever.I just hope we as a nation learn in these hard economic times, service realy does count!
Old 23 February 2009, 10:42   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
It,s 200 years since the birth of Charles Darwin,it's not just animal species his law of 'natural selection' apllies too!this type of shoddy practice,which we all experiance from time to time will ultimately put these operations on the scrap heap,now,quicker than ever.I just hope we as a nation learn in these hard economic times, service realy does count!
I am not so sure it is that simple.

For many years marine goods have been steadily dropping in price, many businesses have geared up to attract customers based on price - because that is what the market demanded. We experienced long-standing customers buying electronics from unknown internet sellers for the sake of saving less that £1, only to come back to us because they had problems or questions that the "box shifters" could not deal with.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:53   #12

I think most people on here are relativley fortunate in that we can all in some way afford to have a RIB/ SIB/ boat of some kind etc, and most seem to quite willing to recognise the 'value' of decent service.

I dont mind paying a few quid more for a bit of decent service , but why would anyone pay more for not getting a service ? I think the market is changing .................service is becoming more important again .

I'd still always go to a place that gave me decent service, even if that service was a quick & polite response 'no' (ie they dont have or cant get what I want/ need).

People will will use the WEB as it can offer the same sort of 'non-service' as SOME local shops but at a cheaper price.

What value do people put on decent service ? personally I think its sometimes worth a fortune ! ( I went to buy a £300 bike on Sunday from Halfrauds - the service was so poor I just walked away - it would have taken them about 20 seconds to take my order - but no-one to be seen to speak to - I'm now buying online)
Old 23 February 2009, 14:50   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I think most people on here are relativley fortunate in that we can all in some way afford to have a RIB/ SIB/ boat of some kind etc, and most seem to quite willing to recognise the 'value' of decent service.

I dont mind paying a few quid more for a bit of decent service , but why would anyone pay more for not getting a service ? I think the market is changing .................service is becoming more important again .

I'd still always go to a place that gave me decent service, even if that service was a quick & polite response 'no' (ie they dont have or cant get what I want/ need).

People will will use the WEB as it can offer the same sort of 'non-service' as SOME local shops but at a cheaper price.

What value do people put on decent service ? personally I think its sometimes worth a fortune ! ( I went to buy a £300 bike on Sunday from Halfrauds - the service was so poor I just walked away - it would have taken them about 20 seconds to take my order - but no-one to be seen to speak to - I'm now buying online)
I'm with you on that one.I buy a lot online,but there's certain (non-online businesses) places I'll buy from even though they aren't the cheapest by a long way and it means a drive to get there.
I do it simply because the service goes above and beyond what you'd expect as they take pride in their business.
I also rather value the good advice and honest opinions given rather than having a sales agent without a clue trying to hard sell me something he knows nothing about.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2009, 14:53   #14

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I buy a lot online,but there's certain places I'll buy from even though they aren't the cheapest by a long way and it means a drive to get there.
????
Old 23 February 2009, 15:04   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
????
Edited

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote