Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Done a bit of DIY maintenance on mine today, the fan kept coming on every few mins so I Googled the problem and it said open up the tower and clean the dust out which I have done, there was about four years of dust in there put it all back together and its running like new. Glad I didn't tell Michael that he probably would have signed me up to one of them Virtual Doctor Gupta conracts

Old 21 June 2012, 15:29   #12
Administrator

Town: Pacific NW, USA
Length: under 3m
RIBase
Interrupt the caller or when they ask about your windows computer say "before we talk about that can you tell me what you're wearing". Then ask for detail...

Old 21 June 2012, 15:35   #13

Town: Midlands
Boat name: Viper
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 2x 90
I've had a few of these. Just asked them to give me a few more details from their investigations like what OS I'm running. Odd but they hung up then.
Old 21 June 2012, 17:34   #14

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interrupt the caller or when they ask about your windows computer say "before we talk about that can you tell me what you're wearing". Then ask for detail...
Old 22 June 2012, 03:07   #15

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: Dennis & no name
Make: Avon Sportboat & SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 3.5 & ??
Anyone that calls saying you have trouble with your computer is dodgy! My mum had a call from an Asian sounding Michael last Monday weirdly enough. Just glad she was suspicious and stopped the call.
Old 22 June 2012, 04:34   #16

Length: 7m +
I get on average two or three a week, as im an IT Security professional I would advise if you get any calls from people claiming to be from an IT Support centre or Microsoft to just put the phone down, these are all bogus. Dont have a go at them on the phone as they will and do get abusive and will repeatedly call you back.

Never follow any instructions they tell you to do.

If you do follow what they ask or buy from them you may find yourself on what is known as a 'suckers list' which is a list these people sell to other criminal gangs of people who are easily exploitable which will then cause more calls and cons.

The intention of these people is to scam you into either purchasing a service or anti-virus software that you dont need or even worse to attempt you to do actions which install a malicous program in the background which will collect any user id's and passwords you may use or other information on your computer. If you carry out there instructions you may find money missing from your bank account if youve used your computer for internet banking or use it to purchase goods over the internet. There are criminal gangs involved in this activity and it has become far more sophisticated over the years.

So just ignore them.

If you want to keep your computer safe from viruses and hackers then buy security software from a reputable source, anti-virus and a personal firewall and make sure these software packages are maintained, ensure you download latest patches regularly. Get a external hard drive and back up your important data regularly and if you have a laptop encrypt the hard drive to protect against theft.

Hope this helps.
Old 22 June 2012, 04:53   #17

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I get on average two or three a week, as im an IT Security professional I would advise if you get any calls from people claiming to be from an IT Support centre or Microsoft to just put the phone down, these are all bogus. Dont have a go at them on the phone as they will and do get abusive and will repeatedly call you back.

Never follow any instructions they tell you to do.

If you do follow what they ask or buy from them you may find yourself on what is known as a 'suckers list' which is a list these people sell to other criminal gangs of people who are easily exploitable which will then cause more calls and cons.

The intention of these people is to scam you into either purchasing a service or anti-virus software that you dont need or even worse to attempt you to do actions which install a malicous program in the background which will collect any user id's and passwords you may use or other information on your computer. If you carry out there instructions you may find money missing from your bank account if youve used your computer for internet banking or use it to purchase goods over the internet. There are criminal gangs involved in this activity and it has become far more sophisticated over the years.

So just ignore them.

If you want to keep your computer safe from viruses and hackers then buy security software from a reputable source, anti-virus and a personal firewall and make sure these software packages are maintained, ensure you download latest patches regularly. Get a external hard drive and back up your important data regularly and if you have a laptop encrypt the hard drive to protect against theft.

Hope this helps.
My thoughts exactly, they can't be genuine if they want to do all this by a phone call. I like Janet H's idea though, tell me what you are wearing.....Michael !! what colour are your underpants and do they match your turban