Old 19 March 2009, 17:07   #21

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
How come no one kicks up a fuss about fishermen over here taking pot shots at seals when they go near nets?
I've seen perfectly good cod with a slash down the side from where a seal has been "playing" with it.
Its quite a common occurence here for headless seals to turn up floating around, the head having mysteriously been selectively nibbled off by crabs
The big hole between the eyes may be related, or not
Old 19 March 2009, 17:28   #22

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
What about halal meat as well, no different to whacking a seal.
Old 19 March 2009, 19:56   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Nature has a way of naturally controlling species numbers. If the prey you feed on decline then your species numbers decline due to starvation or lack of breeding.
I'm not sure it would be any more acceptable to watch seals starve to death either. However you missed one part of how nature limits population numbers. As one species proliferates its predators will also normally do well, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with the seals predators - quite possibly due to man's influence.

Quote:
Seals aren't clubbed to death to enable the survival of their species.
no - but possibly to help the survival of some fish species. If you don't like overfishing I assume you only eat line caught fish.
Old 19 March 2009, 20:28   #24

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
"Its quite a common occurence here for headless seals to turn up floating around, the head having mysteriously been selectively nibbled off by crabs
The big hole between the eyes may be related, or not "

There`are clearly those who oppose the cull , and even those that support it , but why anyone would think it amusing to see a dead mammal in the water is beyond me ?

Oscar`Wilde said something like....." We are all of us in the gutter , but some are face up , looking at the stars ! "

Perhaps it's time to close the thread ?
Old 19 March 2009, 22:22   #25

Its called cynicism not amusement. What I do find amusing is the thought put across earlier that being shot to death makes being dead any better..........
I neither support or oppose the cull as I do not have enough objective info to make that judgement and I suspect very few people on here do either.
I am very aware that hunting, mammals or not, is thought about very differently on the other side of the pond and am reluctant to rush into judgement on an issue when I do not have all of the relevant info, free of spin from either side.
Old 19 March 2009, 23:40   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Its called cynicism not amusement. What I do find amusing is the thought put across earlier that being shot to death makes being dead any better..........
I neither support or oppose the cull as I do not have enough objective info to make that judgement and I suspect very few people on here do either.
I am very aware that hunting, mammals or not, is thought about very differently on the other side of the pond and am reluctant to rush into judgement on an issue when I do not have all of the relevant info, free of spin from either side.
Which would you prefer - one swift shot through the head or a long drawn out painfull death - the end result is the same so does it matter? Having watched my mother die a very unpleasent death I know which way I would prefer!!!
Old 20 March 2009, 04:29   #27

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
the facts...

an excerpt from;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakapik

"Although it is often claimed that the hakapik is an inhumane hunting tool, it is favored by sealers because it allows them to kill the seal without damaging the pelt. Also, with a rifle the sealer runs the risk of hurting, but not killing the seal, causing them to flee, wounded, back into the ocean to die slowly. Further, studies by American veterinary scientists on the use of the Hakapik on the seal hunt carried out on Pribilof Islands of Alaska suggested that it is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely when used correctly.[2] A report by members of the Canadian Medical Veterinary Association in September 2002 corroborated this claim.[3]"
Old 20 March 2009, 13:15   #28

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I've hesitated about joining this debate because it's generally not one that is subject of rational discussion by it's nature, but......

The Canadian seal hunt is very closely regulated. One of the fallacy's promoted by the 'antis' is that seals are clubbed - they are not, they are shot. Another fallacy is that cute and cuddly whitecoats are hunted - again whitecoats haven't been hunted for several years.

I'm surprised Googleprawn didn't come up with this himself as he's not usually one to let the spin get in the way of the facts or his opinions.

Bern, You're entitled to your opinions and to protest the seal hunt. Do note that the HSUS, IFAW, Seashepherd etc make a lot of money out of images of cute fluffly seals being killed. In some ways they have as much invested in the hunt as the fishermen themselves. If it is banned where will their funds come from?

I hold no particular candle for the hunt but having lived in Newfoundland for 5 years or so, I have an appreciation for the part that it plays in the rural fishing economy. It's also true that hunting of any animal here and in the US (& indeed parts of Europe) is less of an issue than it is in the UK. I chalk that down to an increasingly urbanised and detached from nature population looking down it's nose at people who are closer to the land (or the sea.)

Economics are likely to kill the hunt, at least in the short term as the price of pelts is at an all time low.

Finally, what is the most ecologically sound clothing choice. A sealskin coat, from a sustainable hunt or goretex and thermaloft from non-renewable resources?
Old 20 March 2009, 14:53   #29

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... One of the fallacy's promoted by the 'antis' is that seals are clubbed - they are not, they are shot. ......
Somewhat at odds with what the post above yours intimates, listed as "The Facts"... and from someone who is "pro".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I chalk that down to an increasingly urbanised and detached from nature population looking down it's nose at people who are closer to the land (or the sea.)
..or you could chalk it down to civilised society viewing the barbarians from across the Pond...
Old 20 March 2009, 15:36   #30

Town: Winnipeg
Make: Gemini Dive 470
Engine: Yamaha 40 2str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post

..or you could chalk it down to civilised society viewing the barbarians from across the Pond...

Classy as always...
Old 20 March 2009, 18:02   #31

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubrOnCrakberry View Post

Classy as always...

.... I thought your first response was quite amusing... you see, even the Canadians are getting the hang of this humour business.... that's humour for our Colonial cousins south of the border.
Old 20 March 2009, 19:25   #32

Quote:
.... I thought your first response was quite amusing...
Well then, as you wish...
Old 20 March 2009, 19:30   #33

Quote:

So it boils down to NARBs (North American Redneck Barbarians) vs. ET (Eurotrash).
Old 20 March 2009, 21:58   #34

I resent being called American, even North American........
There is a border at the north end of the US for a reason
Old 25 March 2009, 02:39   #35

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Why not protest something closer to home...like whaling by Norway?
Old 25 March 2009, 02:55   #36

No photos of that plastered everywhere.
Old 25 March 2009, 13:18   #37

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7961442.stm

Just seen this - wish they had given him a much longer spell in jail.

A fisherman who clubbed 21 grey seal pups to death on a remote Scottish island has been jailed for 80 days.

Jimmy Stewart, 47, admitted mutilating, beating and crushing the animals on the Shetland island of East Linga.
Old 06 April 2009, 05:57   #38

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7981598.stm