Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Perils of the sea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5091928.stm

Very close to home for me.

One bloke missing - the other managed to survive 11hrs in the water - boat sank at about 14.30 - he swam ashore 0245.

The waters are still pretty cold so to survive that long is a miracle. They always tell you NOT to try to swim as you will waste heat - but I bet he wouldn't have lasted 10 hrs without keeping moving!!!

The hunt has now been called off for the other poor bloke - thoughts of course to his family.
Old 18 June 2006, 22:22   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I heard the coastguard ask for anyone in the saundersfoot area to respond yesterday afternoon, and when my grandpa told me about this incident earlier, I put 2 and 2 together and assumed it was for the same incident, but looking at the timings, it's when the incident would have happened, but no one knew until later that night. Wonder what else was happening around there yesterday as well then?

There have been a few incidents round here recently - the last one being at strumble head where a sailor lost his life the other week

-Alex
Old 18 June 2006, 22:22   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I was around there at the time (on land) - the sea was flat calm. Hard to believe a trawler would sink and no distress call, etc.
Very sad news.
Old 18 June 2006, 22:26   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown
I heard the coastguard ask for anyone in the saundersfoot area to respond yesterday afternoon, and when my grandpa told me about this incident earlier, I put 2 and 2 together and assumed it was for the same incident, but looking at the timings, it's when the incident would have happened, but no one knew until later that night. Wonder what else was happening around there yesterday as well then?

There have been a few incidents round here recently - the last one being at strumble head where a sailor lost his life the other week

-Alex
I was at Saundersfoot and the RNLI D Class arrived at the beach in response to a call to rescue a child in a dinghy who had drifted out to sea. The child was brought back to the beach by a powerboat, who I assume picked up the coastguard's call? From the news footage, it appears that nobody knew about the Pendine incident until after midnight when they failed to return.