Old 27 September 2012, 08:23   #1

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Pan Pan Medico

Hello

We don't use PAN PAN Medico any more. This is referenced in Tim Bartlett's RYA VHF Handbook.

When I look at references on Ofcom they still say we do but their documentation is around 8 - 12 years old. So I guess out of date?

Can anyone lead me to the official reference or document that covers this protocol. I am presuming that it will be in some ISO/ITU doc?

Thanks

Gary
Old 27 September 2012, 10:25   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I'm sure if you put out a Pan-pan medico call you're not going to get told off by the CG. IMHO when the brown stuff is hitting the fan , protocol goes out t' window.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2012, 13:11   #3

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
there are a few words that stop the world and people have your attention
MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
and PAN PAN PAN
Once spoken you tend to get the full attention of everyone.
not matter what follows :-)
Old 28 September 2012, 21:54   #4

Length: 3m +
You are asking to prove something that no longer exists --> tricky unless ITU specifically say it doesn't exist instead of stop refering to it.

http://www.gmdss.com.au/ITU%20DSC%20op%20spec.pdf doesn't refer to it, so it doesn't exist...?

But as everyone says if its used no-one cares. Even if someone had never heard of it it starts PAN PAN thats enough to say "I might need some help here" and then the content of the message presumably says "I've got a casualty that I want some advice about"

I understood the reason it was dropped was because sometimes people PAN PAN MEDICOd when a MAYDAY was more appropriate. (People resist the M! word at all costs...) i.e. someone having a heart attack the boat asks for advice which then takes time to organise when a a helo could already have been starting its engines...
Old 01 October 2012, 18:23   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
The Coastguard took over many functions of the BT Coast Radio Stations when they closed, including the MF 2182kHz distress watch, the Navtex system, Safety broadcasts and medical link calls.
Previously medical link calls were attended to by the coast stations with their ability to "patch" into the telephone system in order to get direct medical advice over the phone/radio to the vessel. Medico was the keyword for them to take the call and patch if neccesary. When the ability to link to the direct medical advice was transferred to the coastguard all pan pans would go to them, medico or otherwise, and the term became obsolete.
There was a notice that I might have a copy of somewhere when I get ashore.
Old 01 October 2012, 18:58   #6

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I almost put out a Pan Pan Medico myself the other day when coming back from France on my jet ski. I had the worst stomach pains I've ever experienced; I could barely hold on. Luckily when I had tied up at St. Catherine's things worked their way through and after letting rip a few times I felt a lot better. I'm sure Jersey Coastguard would have been sympathetic to my man-wind issues, however.
Old 01 October 2012, 21:19   #7

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Engine: Yam 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
The Coastguard took over many functions of the BT Coast Radio Stations when they closed, including the MF 2182kHz distress watch, the Navtex system, Safety broadcasts and medical link calls.
Previously medical link calls were attended to by the coast stations with their ability to "patch" into the telephone system in order to get direct medical advice over the phone/radio to the vessel. Medico was the keyword for them to take the call and patch if neccesary. When the ability to link to the direct medical advice was transferred to the coastguard all pan pans would go to them, medico or otherwise, and the term became obsolete.
There was a notice that I might have a copy of somewhere when I get ashore.
Thanks. That would be good. The question was an academic one for an exam paper. I know the practical aspects but did not know how the phrase was phased out.

Gary
Old 31 January 2014, 09:09   #8

Town: Glenrothes
Length: no boat
The term PAN PAN Medico is still used and has never stopped being used, all transmissions using the term Pan Pan medico are, in UK Territorial waters, co-ordinated by HM Coastguard. Any vessel or person contacting HM Coastguard with a medical related problem are connect through to the relevant medical authority to speak to the Duty doctor, the Coastguard monitor the transmission between the casualty and the doctor to be fully aware of the decision. If deemed necessary for evacuation the Coastguard will arrange the helicopter or Lifeboat to transfer them shoreside. If medical evacuation is not deemed necessary then medical facilities will be arranged to meet the vessel on its arrival at port.

The two medical authorities until Sept 2012 are one in Plymouth and one in Aberdeen.

I hope this clarifies the situation and that it is still procedure

rgds
Old 31 January 2014, 09:20   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
I almost put out a Pan Pan Medico myself the other day when coming back from France on my jet ski. I had the worst stomach pains I've ever experienced; I could barely hold on. Luckily when I had tied up at St. Catherine's things worked their way through and after letting rip a few times I felt a lot better. I'm sure Jersey Coastguard would have been sympathetic to my man-wind issues, however.
Did you get nappy rash. :whisling:
Old 31 January 2014, 09:24   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsnomad View Post
The term PAN PAN Medico is still used and has never stopped being used, all transmissions using the term Pan Pan medico are, in UK Territorial waters, co-ordinated by HM Coastguard. Any vessel or person contacting HM Coastguard with a medical related problem are connect through to the relevant medical authority to speak to the Duty doctor, the Coastguard monitor the transmission between the casualty and the doctor to be fully aware of the decision. If deemed necessary for evacuation the Coastguard will arrange the helicopter or Lifeboat to transfer them shoreside. If medical evacuation is not deemed necessary then medical facilities will be arranged to meet the vessel on its arrival at port.

The two medical authorities until Sept 2012 are one in Plymouth and one in Aberdeen.

I hope this clarifies the situation and that it is still procedure

rgds
Er - wrong actually. Pan pan medico was discontinued with the advent of DSC. In voice terms there are two calls - Mayday x3 or Pan x3. When you give the nature of distress there are the various options to choose which are now highly defined. I am sure if you merely shout help help on 16 someone may respond. If however you are unsure about basic issues of radio protocol you would be advised to visit the nearest RYA training establishment. Basic radio procedure needs training and practise.
Old 31 January 2014, 09:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Er - wrong actually. Pan pan medico was discontinued with the advent of DSC. In voice terms there are two calls - Mayday x3 or Pan x3. When you give the nature of distress there are the various options to choose which are now highly defined. I am sure if you merely shout help help on 16 someone may respond. If however you are unsure about basic issues of radio protocol you would be advised to visit the nearest RYA training establishment. Basic radio procedure needs training and practise.
No Im afraid that you are incorrect, my knowledge is based on 22 years experience as a Coastguard officer. If in doubt contact the nearest Coastguard station to yourself. This was the procedure that was used up until I was made redundant in 2012. As a Watch Manager I dealt with medical emergencies on numerous occasions.

The RYA's newest radio book has some glaring errors in it !
Old 31 January 2014, 09:58   #12

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post

Smart arse
Old 31 January 2014, 10:37   #13

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
The RYA write the book, not the rules. Who says they need to match.............

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 10:42   #14
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
There is no Such thing as Pan Pan Medico , as stated previously stated discontinued when coastguard took direct control of medical calls - Aberdeen & Portsmouth.

S.
Old 31 January 2014, 11:05   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
There is no Such thing as Pan Pan Medico , as stated previously stated discontinued when coastguard took direct control of medical calls - Aberdeen & Portsmouth.

S.
Correct - it is possible some blokes on coastguard watch fall asleep due to isolation - the world then passes them unnoticed.
Old 31 January 2014, 11:07   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Smart arse
Excuse me ! I resemble that!
Old 31 January 2014, 11:24   #17

Sorry SPR the RYA in their wisdom believed that the Panpan medico ceased to exist. HM Coastguard did not take control we took co-ordination. What we took over from the Coast Radio stations was the 'radio link call' procedure. Even before this date HM Coastguard was responsible for all 'medical evacuations'. There is no 'written' statement from the radio people nor the IMO to the fact that Pan Medico is no longer used. Until such time as I see it I will continue to state otherwise.

These links all show Medico, wikipedia might not be the best choice but it still highlights it.

Pan-pan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Handbook of Offshore Cruising: The Dream and Reality of Modern Ocean Cruising - Jim Howard - Google Books
RA292 - Non-GMDSS VHF Radiotelephone Procedures
http://www.rgyc.org.uk/forms/pg_37_2012.pdf

Indaba1991 if you cant come back with constructive information dont lower the tone with inane comments. HM Coastguard continue to give 24 hr cover to assist those in difficulty on the sea not to 'let the world' pass them by
Old 31 January 2014, 11:31   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsnomad View Post
Sorry SPR the RYA in their wisdom believed that the Panpan medico ceased to exist. HM Coastguard did not take control we took co-ordination. What we took over from the Coast Radio stations was the 'radio link call' procedure. Even before this date HM Coastguard was responsible for all 'medical evacuations'. There is no 'written' statement from the radio people nor the IMO to the fact that Pan Medico is no longer used. Until such time as I see it I will continue to state otherwise.

These links all show Medico, wikipedia might not be the best choice but it still highlights it.

Pan-pan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Handbook of Offshore Cruising: The Dream and Reality of Modern Ocean Cruising - Jim Howard - Google Books
RA292 - Non-GMDSS VHF Radiotelephone Procedures
http://www.rgyc.org.uk/forms/pg_37_2012.pdf

Indaba1991 if you cant come back with constructive information dont lower the tone with inane comments. HM Coastguard continue to give 24 hr cover to assist those in difficulty on the sea not to 'let the world' pass them by
Steady on mate - just a bit of ribbing! But I do suggest you do an up to date radio course. Pan Pan Medico has never been considered a correct radio term - it just crept in (in the UK) over the years. And you are right - wiki is really not the place to base all your judgements. And PS - I bet I know more coastguard and MCA people than you do.
Old 31 January 2014, 12:13   #19

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
this looks like it could get interesting kerny
Old 31 January 2014, 12:43   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
this looks like it could get interesting kerny
Well I think so - a disciple of Anthony Trollope?