Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 November 2005, 08:50   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Copyright protection? Is that an issue for you?
I would have thought it would be for most people - or have you never burnt a CD compilation from other disks in your collection??? Ones you have of course purchased legitmately!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 08:56   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I would have thought it would be for most people - or have you never burnt a CD compilation from other disks in your collection??? Ones you have of course purchased legitmately!!!
Nope I've just put 'em on my Sony MP3 player.......

Accept that Sony don't want to allow you to pirate stuff and buy something else... not difficult is it?
__________________

__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:02   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Nope I've just put 'em on my Sony MP3 player.......

Accept that Sony don't want to allow you to pirate stuff and buy something else... not difficult is it?
But it is NOT just down to pirate stuff - Sony players are often very fussy about what media you put in them as well - for example when I went on holiday I hired a Vectra with an autochanger made by Sony - it refused to play half my disks - the cheaper Vectra with a single slot player worked with everything!!!

Mate of mine bought a high end Sony DVD player - he does commercial video stuff - wouldn't touch some of the disks he had made himself - the 50 player he bought from ASDA was fine.

People go out and buy a Sony thinking they are getting the best and find it won't do half of what they want - bit unfair on the people who don't know!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:14   #54
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Well.. I've got a Sony DVD player that I bought because the price was right and funnily enough it's never yet failed to play a single DVD that I've bought.... so it does exactly what it says on the tin. My MP3 player, certainly isn't "all singing all dancing", but I can load two hundred and something tunes it, throw in a triple A battery and plug it into the 'bike's Autocom and enjoy my music as I ride... It also does what it says on the tin! I don't know, or care, about the quality of the sound compared to, for instance CD, tape or record, because a) My hearing isn't that clever and b) I don't listen to it in a sound proof, or even quiet, environment...
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:36   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Well.. I've got a Sony DVD player that I bought because the price was right and funnily enough it's never yet failed to play a single DVD that I've bought.... so it does exactly what it says on the tin. My MP3 player, certainly isn't "all singing all dancing", but I can load two hundred and something tunes it, throw in a triple A battery and plug it into the 'bike's Autocom and enjoy my music as I ride... It also does what it says on the tin! I don't know, or care, about the quality of the sound compared to, for instance CD, tape or record, because a) My hearing isn't that clever and b) I don't listen to it in a sound proof, or even quiet, environment...
Oh yes they work fine on DVDs bought from a shop - but there are plenty of other things people want to do and are often prevented to by sony's annoying policies. For example you may decide to burn a collection of videos you have downloaded off ribnet onto DVD and then watch them on TV later - or you may want to burn a DVD of your latest RIB cruise or whatever.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:48   #56
Member
 
Andy Moore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Oh yes they work fine on DVDs bought from a shop - but there are plenty of other things people want to do and are often prevented to by sony's annoying policies. For example you may decide to burn a collection of videos you have downloaded off ribnet onto DVD and then watch them on TV later - or you may want to burn a DVD of your latest RIB cruise or whatever.
...and you might want to play some cr*p bootleg blockbuster you bought from a bloke in the pub. I get your drift.
__________________
Andy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:50   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Im affraid I have to agree with codders on this one

I burn all my home movies to DVD using Sonic My DVD to author them (it came free with my dvd burner) and Nero to actually burn the discs.

Ive tried several brands or +R and -R dvds and I can only get a few brands of +R discs to work and no -R discs on my grandparents sony dvd player.

My grandad purchased sony against my advice because he like so many others think that if you pay more it must be better. But now they unfortunately are stuck and cant watch the dvds of their great grandchildren that I have made for them.

a 29.99 pacific-1002 dvd player from asda will play any disc - even ones that were not finalised or failed during the writing process - they are the best thing since sliced bread in my book.

ok they dont have progressive scan etc... but most peoples tvs wont notice the difference anyway.

check here for loads of info on dvd players http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....arch&#comments

wasnt this thread originally about ripping audio tracks from cd and tape to mp3 ??????????
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:53   #58
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
...and you might want to play some cr*p bootleg blockbuster you bought from a bloke in the pub. I get your drift.
some people might - but I don't go to pubs and I don't watch much TV or films either!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 10:12   #59
Member
 
MikeH's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackburn
Boat name: Hornet
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 55
Will this be OK

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my daughter (the new Sony - just out)

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArtic...site=odw_en_GB

Reasoning is.

Daughter thinks it looks cool.

Long battery life 35 hrs ( we go camping and boating without 240V)

We keep our music on a network so can play from any PC. This will synchronise with the existing files (I think - according to PC World it will but I'm not sure I believe them).

According to WHICH Sony has as good or better sound than the Ipod

Given the negative comment on Sony DVD & CD players, is this going to give us problems with compatibility?
__________________
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 10:26   #60
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Cod, that was a very interesting link.

(http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,...39235149,00.htm)

Sony's subversive activity unveiled. Seriously dodgy stuff.
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.