Old 28 March 2005, 20:18   #1

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Oi Ginger coastie !!

Or any other coasty type person. I need a question answered please . Do the UK coastguard give their people "special training" to drive on road when using blue lights and sirens ? I had a near miss with the Irish coatguards (toss**s) driving the 4x4 to an incident. I was on my motorbike and the toss*r nearly cleaved me out of it !. It now transpires that they get no training at all for emergency car or 4x4 driving.
Old 28 March 2005, 20:58   #2

St. Johns Ambulance drivers get no training for driving with blue lights either.
Old 29 March 2005, 08:08   #3

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Our drivers get no extra training for driving under blues & twos. They are expected to drive normally, not exceeding speed limits etc...

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2005, 08:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
Our drivers get no extra training for driving under blues & twos. They are expected to drive normally, not exceeding speed limits etc...

I suspect thats what Dublin will tell me as well Not very good when the "red mist " rises in their eyes !
Old 29 March 2005, 10:49   #5

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
St. Johns Ambulance drivers get no training for driving with blue lights either.
Nor do the Red Cross!
Scary as hell ain't it!!

Regards
Old 29 March 2005, 11:04   #6

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
Quote:
A friend of mine works for St John's and has a high speed driving course in May. Could be just cos its Guernsey and we're loaded , but it is a UK course...
Old 29 March 2005, 11:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
A friend of mine works for St John's and has a high speed driving course in May. Could be just cos its Guernsey and we're loaded , but it is a UK course...
I don't know if it's obligatory for some St Johns groups, they've made it obligatory since my last information, or if they just happen to run an optional course! When I was doing SJA, the guy that drove their ambulance hadn't done any course of any description.

Ah well.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
He is a lucky man then
Most get taken out by a driving instructor watched for 30mins, if he or she is happy with the level you get to drive on blues and two's.

Some of us in the VAS think its awful really.

Regards
Old 29 March 2005, 14:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
He is a lucky man then
Most get taken out by a driving instructor watched for 30mins, if he or she is happy with the level you get to drive on blues and two's.

Some of us in the VAS think its awful really.

Regards

John I'm with you on this. Having been trained by police instructors here I have a different perspective on other road users. I have emailed the head of the Irish coastguard last night but no response yet. I am surprised by the response to this thread from you guy's, thanks for all your comments.
Old 29 March 2005, 14:45   #10

IMHO I think it is is laughable to allow someone who trains 17-18 year olds to pass their driving test to say yes or no to someone driving on blue lights!!

Only people who should be allowed to do this are driver trainers within the emergency services.

Regards
Old 29 March 2005, 15:51   #11

I think I agree with you there John. It's not so much being trained to drive fast etc, more being trained in what other road users will do when they see a blue light, and how to react to that.

There is a hell of a difference between a police trained driver and someone who has just passed their test.
Old 29 March 2005, 16:47   #12
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have done a cut down version of the Mets driver training and never had so much fun on the north circular!

Not sure if I really came away with any more skills than somebody who has done the Institute of Advanced Drivers test.

I think the most usefull part was learing how to anticipate the unexpected drivers! The most strange part was how they were telling me to use the gears and hold the steering wheel properly. I felt like an old granny driving!

C
Old 29 March 2005, 17:45   #13

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
I don't think its personal

He just missed me as I was walking down Baggot St last week!!
Old 29 March 2005, 17:45   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why do people immediately think "Police Training" is so good? The standards have slipped considerably over the years - even for the "traffic cops". The big rise in accidents speaks for itself.

A very good mate of mine is a traffic cop and he is a truly brilliant driver - but he readily admits that the newer drivers don't have a clue.

I have witnessed traffic cops driving badly on many an occassion - refusing to indicate - tailgating - jumping red lights when NOT on call etc etc.

In fact I once had to take evasive action to avoid a Police traffic car jumping a red light when NOT on call - maybe I should have let him hit me - the implications would have been very interesting!!!
Old 29 March 2005, 18:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Why do people immediately think "Police Training" is so good? The standards have slipped considerably over the years - even for the "traffic cops". The big rise in accidents speaks for itself.

A very good mate of mine is a traffic cop and he is a truly brilliant driver - but he readily admits that the newer drivers don't have a clue.

I have witnessed traffic cops driving badly on many an occassion - refusing to indicate - tailgating - jumping red lights when NOT on call etc etc.

In fact I once had to take evasive action to avoid a Police traffic car jumping a red light when NOT on call - maybe I should have let him hit me - the implications would have been very interesting!!!
Maybe..... but you should try the wannabees (volunteer coastguards) skills.
Old 29 March 2005, 18:11   #16

I don't think it's a case of police training being good or otherwise, I think the point being made here is that if you are going to drive a vehicle with blue lights and sirens, you ought to have SOME training. Given that the police are the ones who do this training the most, that's why they were mentioned.

I agree that some police drivers aren't very good (as with 'normal' drivers) but the point is that it is a very different style of driving when cars are moving out of your way, and you have to have some idea how to react.
Old 29 March 2005, 18:15   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
I don't think it's a case of police training being good or otherwise, I think the point being made here is that if you are going to drive a vehicle with blue lights and sirens, you ought to have SOME training. Given that the police are the ones who do this training the most, that's why they were mentioned.

I agree that some police drivers aren't very good (as with 'normal' drivers) but the point is that it is a very different style of driving when cars are moving out of your way, and you have to have some idea how to react.
Very true - I have to admit I was very suprised to learn that no training of any description was needed!!!
Old 29 March 2005, 19:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Very true - I have to admit I was very suprised to learn that no training of any description was needed!!!
Oh it's needed alright .... just not given to them
Old 30 March 2005, 06:17   #19

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
I've sat and watched this thread for a while, but now I'm gonna get off the fence and say what I think....
Firstly, I will state that I passed my HGV with the “Yellow Leg Brigade” and went on to be a front-line appliance driver. I.e. "Blues and Twos" although these days, "twos" is more "Yelp and wail".
Training is NOT the issue, in my experience. It's all down to the personality and temperament of the individual. I know of well-trained and quite experienced drivers who get a rush of blood when the bells go down and are plain dangerous behind the wheel. Whilst I would never admit this at the time, I remember just how difficult it was to remain focused on the job in hand, safe driving, whilst answering a “persons reported” call. So before anyone criticises the drivers themselves, perhaps they should look more closely at the system of issuing authority to drive E.S. vehicle. Balancing the needs of the person involved in an emergency that needs a quick response against the safety of the public at large. If you think that’s an easy choice, think again. When one of our drivers was faced with a traffic offence we were ordered to adhere to “normal” traffic regulations for a while. The uproar from Joe Public was unbelievable. That is the same Joe Public who was baying for the blood of a colleague who had collided with a car whilst answering a call. You go figure…
As an instructor it is damned near impossible to tell how some people will react when the ol’ adrenaline is coursing through the veins. Perhaps a psychological and stress test ought to be considered before a driver is qualified to drive any emergency vehicle…..
Old 30 March 2005, 08:37   #20
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
One thing I have to say is the guys driving fire engines do seem to be pretty good. The speeds they drive at in such a massive bit of kit is amazing! That said I`ve never ever seen them driven in a reckless or dangerous manner.

I was recently stopped by a police panda car for doing 60 in a 50 on the way to a chemical spill at the request of London Fire Brigade, the Met police and the Local Borough. (both the Fire Brigade and the Met requested assistance "as soon as possible") I mean fair enough for stopping me but he was up for accepting my reason for speeding nor did he stop the guy in the Smart Car which overtook me at warp factor 10? (He turned off the main road so I imagine he couldn't be arsed chasing him!)

C