Old 20 November 2006, 13:54   #21

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Talking of ridiculous new charges get a look at this. It's going to screw London for good-hauliers can't afford to buy new trucks to cmply with this so London might well become a ghost town. Even the supermarkets don't completely comply.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/low-emission-zone/default.asp

No this is not a ridiculous charge.

As a Londoner born, living and working in London, I would rather have better air quality, and if this goes someway to improving air quality then I'm all for it.

It may cause some hardship to commercial operators, but if they want to operate in our city, then they should only be allowed to do so in a less polluting way.
Old 20 November 2006, 15:23   #22
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
You can't take the theory test if you can't read.
If you put the head phones on it reads the questions out to you, then is it A................., B........................, or C...........................

So providing you understand the question and you recognise the letter A, B or C, you could probably get through it.
Old 20 November 2006, 16:07   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post

As a Londoner born, living and working in London, I would rather have better air quality, and if this goes someway to improving air quality then I'm all for it.

It may cause some hardship to commercial operators, but if they want to operate in our city, then they should only be allowed to do so in a less polluting way.

Gas cookers/heaters and especially BBQs are responsible for far more air pollution - should they be taxed in a similar way?
Old 20 November 2006, 16:19   #24

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Maybe we should turn town centres in to Ghost Towns. Can't see what people see in them anyway. All overcrowded with dodgy people trying to empty your pockets and thats before you meet your local hoody.
Old 20 November 2006, 16:21   #25

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Gas cookers/heaters and especially BBQs are responsible for far more air pollution - should they be taxed in a similar way?
BBQ's? I had no idea they were so polluting!

I don't think residents of should be charged for these things, my point is that vehicles coming into London from outside and polluting our city should be charged if they are heavily polluting vehicles.

That's also why I am for the congestion charge...it stops a lot of people driving into london and congesting it even further. I think it should be raised much higher for non-residents.
Old 20 November 2006, 16:34   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

It may cause some hardship to commercial operators,
Don't be silly-we simply either won't go there or we'll pass the cost onto you.
It won't cause US any hardship at all but it'll sting YOU quite hard.

If you want it, you pay our prices. It's that simple. Without goods being transported in from outside you'll starve and freeze in the dark. If you make it impossible for us to make a profit by coming to London we'll just make it elsewhere. It's not a charity.

BTW-One 44 tonne artic carrying enough goods to fill 300 cars-or 25 transit vans uses the same amount of fuel as 3 medium sized cars. IE for the amount of space we take up on the road we actually use less fuel. There's a lot less trucks than there are cars too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2006, 16:45   #27
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
If you put the head phones on it reads the questions out to you, then is it A................., B........................, or C...........................

So providing you understand the question and you recognise the letter A, B or C, you could probably get through it.
That's bonkers.

When I took my HGV theory you had to be able to read-and I did it in a room full of 17 year old L-platers who also had to be able to read.

Old 20 November 2006, 17:06   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
BBQ's? I had no idea they were so polluting!
Just LOOK at them and use some logic!!! To make matters worse when does everyone decide to light up their BBQ? When it's hot and sunny with no wind. Causes me to cough my lungs up - similar to asthma.

In studies in California they reckon as much as 21% of their smog is caused by Barbeques - that's quite a bit considering there are a lot more vehicles than BBQs.

In London in the 1950s almost 12,000 people died in 1 year from smog caused by coal fires - far more than caused by vehicles now!!!
Old 20 November 2006, 17:12   #29

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
........BTW-One 44 tonne artic carrying enough goods to fill 300 cars-or 25 transit vans uses the same amount of fuel as 3 medium sized cars. IE for the amount of space we take up on the road we actually use less fuel. There's a lot less trucks than there are cars too.
Good point... but it overlooks a major problem that towns and cities.. especially the likes of London have and that is the roads are just not "big enough" for larger vehicles to negotiate easily.. they're not wide enough and the turns/islands are too "sharp".. not a lot can be done about it easily.. driving around some of the older parts of Birmingham over the weekend and you look at all the terraced housing with nothing but street parking available... add more than one car per household as the norm and you soon have congested, narrow streets.. add larger and larger vehicles and the result is chaos.
Trouble is no one (Government) has the balls to do something about it.. ban all private vehicle over a certain size.. there’s a start.. no off road parking for your house? No car!….or how about commercial vehicles making deliveries only between the hours of 3 and 5 in the morning.. so? …Who’s going to vote for this transport policy?
Old 20 November 2006, 19:14   #30

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Length: 5m +
Quote:
how about commercial vehicles making deliveries only between the hours of 3 and 5 in the morning..
If memory serves me correctly, lorries are banned from London over night
Old 20 November 2006, 19:54   #31
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Good point... but it overlooks a major problem that towns and cities.. especially the likes of London have and that is the roads are just not "big enough" for larger vehicles to negotiate easily.. they're not wide enough and the turns/islands are too "sharp".. not a lot can be done about it easily..
I've never had a problem with it...but then I only drive them... The only problems I usually come across in Birmingham are idiots who think allah will protect them as they wander into the road without looking-and idiots in cars.