Old 13 February 2004, 08:58   #61

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hummer Details

Händler:
Eble hu. 4X4 Restauration
Flugplatz B27
D-77933 Lahr
Tel.: +49 - (0)7821 / 955030
Fax: +49 - (0)7821 / 955032

X US ARMY HUMMERS

They are Euro 25,000 but if you order more than one you get them for a bit less. If any is interested we can group together and make a bulk order so we can get them for a lot less.

Any one please let me know
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2004, 18:22   #62

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Davies
£49,999 inc VAT for the Hummer H2 (the civilian spec unit) - not bad for a car with a 6.0 litre V8, although it is 86.5" wide
And it'll p*ss over my Rangie off road
You have got to be joking.
Old 13 February 2004, 18:27   #63

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally posted by Jono
Manos,
You know Jack about 4x4s.. On my 12th LR product over 20 years, (nice shiny 110 Td5) and wife has Td4 Freelander. Have taken all my 4x4's off road both here and Europe (Alps/Pyrenees Etc) and would say that within the limits of its ground clearance (and with decent tyres natch!) the Freelander is one very competent vehicle. The lack of transfer box (high/low) does not hinder it very much on the slippery stuff. In fact on mud, wet grass, light snow it will leave my defender for dead. Traction control beats centre diff lock in these cases....... oh for another set of ARBs......
Rant over!!!

PS - 4x4 owner's have same blinkered loyalties as RIBs...

PPS - In the Pyrenees last time, there we were feeling all pleased with ourselves for mastering the Montgari trail, when a little Spanish renault van comes the other way loaded up with the family plus picnic. It ain't what you drive, it's how you drive it.
Got traction control on my 110 TD5 fantastic..
Old 13 February 2004, 19:39   #64

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisallse
You have got to be joking.
Joking about what? - the price or the off-road ability?
Price is what's quoted on American Car Import website. Remember I'm talking about the civilian spec machine here. And even if you don't think the H2 would beat my new Range Rover V8 off-road, I can assure you categorically that the military spec version most definitely WILL.

ps. but I'll happily take on your Defender and beat it
Old 13 February 2004, 19:51   #65

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Well believe it or not........

I know one of the design engineers of both the original and the H2. His name is Ben Reedy and if anyone really wants to know more spercific details, let me know.
Old 17 February 2004, 22:00   #66

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Freelanders Off-Road

I'm on my second freelander.

this was my 1st - a diesel, used to take it all over the place - Compleatly standard - it used to amaze the traditional Landy folk.

The best day - and its a shame I dont have a photo - was when, at a site day, I towed a 110 Camel Trophey back to the top of the site when its fuel pump went!! He was a bit red faced in front of his camel mates!!

Now I have a 2.5L V6 - fitted with LPG conversion, Automatic, cruise control and its just great for towing and launching!!

Cheers
Jools
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freelander.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	4394  
Old 17 February 2004, 22:04   #67

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
and bringing things back to Ribs.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	freerib.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	4395  
Old 17 February 2004, 22:32   #68

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Its gripped, its sorted, lets offroad!

(Fast show devotees will know where I am coming from with that title )

I was into offroading before RIBS from early days of CCTV trailing whislt at Uni through knocking lumps of an old Daihatsu F20 through to buying a Series III LR. Unfortunately my mechanical abilities, patience and time were insufficient to keep it running so after some time on the drive becoming one with nature it got sold to the relief of my neighbours!

Would love to do some of the French offroad raids though although serious investment in kit required as I sold my 4x4 when I sold Blue Ice.

My perspective on the whole Land Rover thing was coloured completely through the experience of working there for 18 months or so after Ford took over. Quality was appalling (this is back in 2000). New Rangie owner (prev. model P38A) stood 55% chance of having to call out Roadside rescue in first 3 years! Assembly methods were primitive - esp. for Defenders (much use of ISO std Hammers in Body Construction.) From what I hear from current contacts in manufacturing things have improved a bit although the workforce seems intent on committing suicide as Uncle Henry is losing so much money he has limited patience these days....

I had two Disco's as company cars (and managed to keep em upright Jono ) which I loved and hated in equal measure. The image is still outstanding, the indefinable quality of a motoring icon. Td5 engine OK, permanent 4x4 and active suspension make for good handling for what it is (much better the Trooper but nowhere near X5 etc). But the ergonomics, quality of material in the interior, equipment levels and fundamentally value for money are just awful. A £28k 4x4 with no aircon? Errm no I dont think so.
I had the chance to buy my last company car at a discount when I left in late 2001 but it was still poor vfm so I went Jap instead.

If I could justify a second motor for local work only then I'd have a Defender Td5 (or rather softtop V8) in a shot. Hummer? Too wide for Uk H2? watered down version to cater for America's obsession with SUV's Pointless thing.

Enough rambling. I'm off in my V*lvo!
Alan
Old 17 February 2004, 22:59   #69

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: Its gripped, its sorted, lets offroad!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I'd have a Defender Td5 (or rather softtop V8) in a shot.
Alan, I couldn't really see you as Lara Croft!!
http://www.landyonline.co.za/specs/d...tombraider.htm
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2004, 23:06   #70

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I,ve had a trooper, and I/ve got a disco and a 110 (all old) but I really want a Patrol. The trooper engine was superb by the way (it may well wind up in the 110)
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2004, 23:10   #71

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Wave
I,ve had a trooper
And the poor lad couldn't sit down for days afterwards. Really Stuart, you shouldn't share that sordid stuff on the 'net!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2004, 08:38   #72
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Land Rover Quality

We've got a Discovery II, and although it has had more 'niggles' than you would expect from a new car - most have been trivial, and down to lack of attention to detail in production. Irritating, but easily sort-outable (power steering securing clip coming loose, sun-roof not being fitted properly, and a bit of fascia between the front seats only being secured with 2 screws instead of the designed spec of 4).

I'm quite impressed with the off-road ability of the Disco - I've off-roaded a SIII LWB and a Defender 90 SWB, and the 'out of the box' Disco with road tyres and traction control is very impressive. On the driving day, I couldn't get it cross-axled or stuck anywhere on the course - traction control got it out every time!!

The pricing/std seems to be more reasonable as well (XS has aircon, CD player, electric stuff, etc) - the equivalent Jeep Grand Cherokee was about £3k more expensive.

Plus - I hope it will more than man-enough to tow my RIB when it turns up!!

Dylan...

P.S. While on LR Quality - they say there are only 2 man made objects you can see from space, the Great Wall of China, and the panel gaps on ANY Solihull product!!
Old 18 February 2004, 09:43   #73

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Re.Freelanders offroad

Jools

Great to see a Freelander with mud on it, well done! Having seen them in action at the Land Rover Experience centres at Eastnor Castle and Milton Keynes I have to say they are remarkably capable off-road, albeit within the limitations of their ground clearance.

With regard to quality control issues, all I can say is that my Range Rover has now covered 13,000 completely trouble-free miles and is the only new car I've bought which hasn't been back to the dealer's at least twice in the first six months. The quality, ride, handling etc. bear absolutely no comparison to the outgoing model, thankfully, but does show what the boys at Solihull are capable of producing if they're given the requisite financial resources - £1bn in this case. Oh, and a little help from the Germans
Old 18 February 2004, 10:03   #74

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
This old girl is been going around since 1978.
By the way any knows where I can get some cheap spares (fly wheel, baring and clutch)?
Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old girl.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	4399  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2004, 12:28   #75

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I also have a Freelander but the 1.8 petrol version and must say that since the meet in Plymouth have not done any towing or even attempted to launch/recover. This particular model is no good for recovery up a steep slip and this I learnt in Plymouth . As for towing well I towed my Seahawk all the way from Poland in 2002 and no problems

The Littlehampton Marina fortunately have their own tractors to do this and until I change the vehicle no towing to other areas.

Andre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102-0281_img.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	4401  
Old 18 February 2004, 14:11   #76

Jono, did you.........

have to start this thread. What a load of bolloks everyone is talking. I've only got a crappy VW Golf GTi which as you yourself know has recovered me from various inclines of slips, launched and recovered me form various beaches (soft and hard) as well as propelling me from A2B and at tremendous rate of knots when needed. Ohh for a 4x4 (unfortunately my boss won't let me have one - image and all that). So anyway, I've ordered a new Audi A4 which will continue to work in very much the same way as all the 4x4 I see towing ribs. As someone says on here, "it's not how big it is, it's how you use it" !
Old 18 February 2004, 14:19   #77
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Re: Jono, did you.........

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
Ohh for a 4x4 (unfortunately my boss won't let me have one - image and all that).

nnnnnn........ an yew av a gollf TGI. yorr bosss mus wont yew too luk lyke a pratt

gArf
Old 18 February 2004, 14:45   #78

You read my........

mind - thanks. Anyway, I've printed your comments and passed them to him. In anticipation of a P45 perhaps you can update me on the unemployment benefit scams you're currently running
Old 18 February 2004, 14:53   #79
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Re: You read my........

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
In anticipation of a P45 perhaps you can update me on the unemployment benefit scams you're currently running
az yorr a fkin scowser i wud av eckspektid yorr nollij inn dese maters too bee att deegree(hons) levvel. ifn yew gett de bullit yew cud orlways gow too gabon wiv monass
Old 18 February 2004, 15:04   #80

My boss has...........

just responded "if the cap fits wear it" Not quite a P45 but a telling sign. Gabon here I come....thanks to Parks I now know they won't be patroling for another 3 months so I can get on with some illegal fishing ! Do they have any cockle banks over there ?