Old 27 August 2007, 13:21   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Number Plates

Question: If you own 2 towing vehicles registered to you, but you pull a trailer with the others reggie number on it would you get pulled up for that because the trailer number didn't match the tow vehicle number (my suspicion), or does it not matter since they are both registered to you ?

Also, what happened to the old Q plates, and what modifications did they designate or be used to signify?
Old 27 August 2007, 15:21   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Car and trailer number plates must match.
Old 27 August 2007, 16:34   #3

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
I can't remember the exact Q plate wording, but it was along the lines of:

Quote:
A vehicle made up of parts, some or all of which were not new at the time of vehicle manufacture
If it was possible to prove the age of a vehicle (or its main component parts) it was possible to get a standard age specific number plate for it, but it (IIRC) involved a fair amount of paperwork.

To get a Q plate all you needed (at least in 1990) was a valid MOT cert for the vehicle and to take it to a vehicle licencing centre who would check the chassis number and engine number before issuing a Q plate. How you got from home to and from the MOT centre, and from home to the vehicle licencing centre was a whole legal grey area .

I don't know the current situation, but I believe they have tightened up the system significantly in terms of vehicle testing.
Old 27 August 2007, 17:07   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I sorta thought you were ok if the vehicles were registered to the same address, but its not sommat I have looked into as I would not want to give someone who is trying to meet his performance indicators/targets a reason to pull me!
Old 27 August 2007, 17:13   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
I can't remember the exact Q plate wording, but it was along the lines of:

If it was possible to prove the age of a vehicle (or its main component parts) it was possible to get a standard age specific number plate for it, but it (IIRC) involved a fair amount of paperwork.

To get a Q plate all you needed (at least in 1990) was a valid MOT cert for the vehicle and to take it to a vehicle licencing centre who would check the chassis number and engine number before issuing a Q plate. How you got from home to and from the MOT centre, and from home to the vehicle licencing centre was a whole legal grey area .

I don't know the current situation, but I believe they have tightened up the system significantly in terms of vehicle testing.
I love Q plates-they MOT on 1973 regulations and you can modify them as much as you like

You used to have to get to the MOT station (legally) by having the the chassis number on a registration plate.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2007, 17:39   #6

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
When I took my bike for its first MOT, I just had a blank number plate on it. The MOT tester said I should put the number of my other bike on it, so at least it would be traceable back to me.

When the woman at the licencing centre saw it she had a fit . Still gave me a q plate though.
Old 29 August 2007, 12:33   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
Car and trailer number plates must match.
60 quid fine and yes they will pull you cos it's easy money and the mismatched numbers indicate theft. Once they have gotten over the disapointment of not aprehending a thief. this usually takes 30 mins the only consolation is to book you for the number plate
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 13:23   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I wonder what they'd do if you had two number plates on the board? I've been known to do that on a couple of occasions as I couldn't get my plate over the top of Six's number plate that was fixed to the board. Both plates registered to the same address and one of them correct for the car...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2007, 13:34   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
60 quid fine and yes they will pull you cos it's easy money and the mismatched numbers indicate theft. Once they have gotten over the disapointment of not aprehending a thief. this usually takes 30 mins the only consolation is to book you for the number plate
Ahh but that's assuming you actually SEE a police car. Apart from the odd purge they are very conspicuous by their abscence - they think cameras are much better.

I know loads of people who don't bother with numberplates or anything else when towing and they never seem to get caught. Drove back with a mate of mine from Exeter a few years ago - his trailer had no number plates and the lights were flashing red bike LEDs - passed by a traffic car who took no notice at all - mind you it was raining........
Old 29 August 2007, 14:22   #10

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Ahh but that's assuming you actually SEE a police car. Apart from the odd purge they are very conspicuous by their abscence - they think cameras are much better.

That's quite true Cods.. I have been to the UK about 5 times in the last month and havnt seen a copper at all..Even in London they seem few and far between.. Are they becoming an extinct specis??.

eupa
Old 29 August 2007, 16:44   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post

That's quite true Cods.. I have been to the UK about 5 times in the last month and havnt seen a copper at all..Even in London they seem few and far between.. Are they becoming an extinct specis??.

eupa
Yes definitely. Was talking to an Italian bloke other day driving a Porsche 911 turbo registered in Nice. He was on his was to Dover from Swansea - said it usually takes him 3hrs at night. I started to warn him about cameras and then remembered his plates - no need to worry - he can cruise at 130mph!!!
Old 29 August 2007, 21:02   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

I know loads of people who don't bother with numberplates or anything else when towing and they never seem to get caught. Drove back with a mate of mine from Exeter a few years ago - his trailer had no number plates and the lights were flashing red bike LEDs - passed by a traffic car who took no notice at all - mind you it was raining........

Aghh it'sa like the old days a mate of C.od's.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2007, 07:38   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Question: If you own 2 towing vehicles registered to you, but you pull a trailer with the others reggie number on it would you get pulled up for that because the trailer number didn't match the tow vehicle number (my suspicion), or does it not matter since they are both registered to you ?

Also, what happened to the old Q plates, and what modifications did they designate or be used to signify?
there are going to pull you because you might of nicked the boat, they pull first ask questions later