Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 10 August 2004, 16:19   #1

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Non Ribby, but BARGAIN plasma

Was in Currys today looking for a new toaster for the boat and came across an LG 42" plasma TV, for sale at £2499 code MZ42PZ10/14, I thought that was cheap and bought it, BUT when it came up on the till it had been reduced today by £1,000 to £1,497!! So if anyone is looking for a plasma TV then pop down to Currys, I don't think there will be too many left at that price I hope it helps someone.

P.S. The plasma is NOT for the boat but includes TV tuner, speakers and table top stand. The shop assistant got a shock so prepare your assistant for what will appear on his screen. They have just had a new system in and there are a lot of cock ups at the moment, but I'm a happy 1
Old 10 August 2004, 16:23   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Oh dear here we go again....................
Old 10 August 2004, 16:53   #3

Boat name: Blug IV
Make: Humber (Big)
Length: 10m +
Engine: Seagull X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Oh dear here we go again....................
What's wrong with that post?

I think it's very useful and informative and am going to rush down to Currys and get one.

I can watch all my favourite "home made" videos on it.

From Blug
Old 10 August 2004, 16:55   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
B*****r.
I was hoping that his credibility blob would go red having just zapped it.
You wouldn't have thought he would want a big TV, him being Chief Photographer of The Playboy Club would you?
Old 10 August 2004, 17:44   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Plasma tvs are OK but the quality just isn't as good as a big CRT - much better than rear projection though.

That is a good price for a big Plasma screen - very good price - just remember they only last about 5 years and having them refilled is NOT an option!

Just remember there is all sorts of new technology involviong thin film etc just around the corner - complete walls and roll up screens here we go!
Old 10 August 2004, 22:56   #6

Town: Dublin & Kerry
Boat name: Limanda
Make: Arvor & Valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: IB 85hp dsl; 8hp Yam
"they only last about 5 years"
Not true. Check the specs but the latest Panasonic models for instance have a life of 50,000 hours+ - that's about 14 years watching 10 hours per day.

"having them refilled is NOT an option"
True - but scare stories about gas "leaking out" are about as credible as the ones about the fluid leaking out of LCDs!

"there is all sorts of new technology involviong thin film etc just around the corner"
Around the corner = about ten years.

Mike
Old 11 August 2004, 00:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
"they only last about 5 years"
Not true. Check the specs but the latest Panasonic models for instance have a life of 50,000 hours+ - that's about 14 years watching 10 hours per day.

So they say - a lot depends on type of usage - brightness etc.

"there is all sorts of new technology involviong thin film etc just around the corner"
Around the corner = about ten years.
Mike
Ten years!!! The way technology is advancing - look how far computers have come in 10 years!

OLED screens are already starting to come out - nice to see most of the research has been carried out in the UK

http://www.cdtltd.co.uk/default.asp
Old 11 August 2004, 08:43   #8

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5
Engine: Mercury 75
Send a message via MSN to Andy Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
they only last about 5 years and having them refilled is NOT an option!
codprawn, I am looking at Plasma screens at the moment. You appear to speak with authority - what is your source for this information? Have you been involved in development of this technology, or is it just a lay opinion?

Andy Beach
Old 11 August 2004, 09:03   #9

Alan, Brian, I am only trying to help fellow forum users, I don't understand why you have to get so personal and upset, why not ignore the thread if it is not of interest to you. The price of this unit makes it tempting, especially when it has been £1,000 more since launched a couple of months ago, it is less of a gamble than paying £3,999 like some are, and I don't really see the difference, although there must be some. Apparently there are only about 3 screen manufacturers and these are shared between the brands, I was told that the LG screen is the same as that in Sony TV's but have no personal knowledge.

For info you can see it here at John Lewis's, they say that they keep prices competitive and will price match, a £1,000 would test that (but unfortunately all sold out even at that price!)

http://johnlewis.co.uk/Shopping/Prod...U&Id=230195827
Old 11 August 2004, 09:37   #10

Boat name: Blug IV
Make: Humber (Big)
Length: 10m +
Engine: Seagull X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Alan, Brian, I am only trying to help fellow forum users, I don't understand why you have to get so personal and upset,
I couldn't agree more.

Blug
Old 11 August 2004, 10:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Beach
codprawn, I am looking at Plasma screens at the moment. You appear to speak with authority - what is your source for this information? Have you been involved in development of this technology, or is it just a lay opinion?

Andy Beach
Have not been involved in their development as such but similar things in the past.

The prob with plasma screens is that they gradually get dimmer and dimmer - 5 years is considered to be a rule of thumb point where they have reached about 50% brightness.

So much depends on usage - the screens automatically brightens and darkens depending on room light levels - it doesn't take a genius to realise that in direct sunlight the screen has to be at maximum brightness which will reduce it's life - conversely watching in a darkened room will greatly improve life.

£2500 is a lot to spend - if you can pick one up for £1400 I would go for it!

Personally unless you have a very big room I would still go for a Sony 32 or 36 100hz widescreen - got to be the best picture you will EVER see - knocks spots off a Plasma.

Having said that plasmas do have some great points - pretty good picture - different league to rear projection - good viewing angles and wall mounted - a 36" Sony CRT is HUGE!!!!
Old 11 August 2004, 12:33   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
The last time I looked at the title of this website it was RIBnet. This means we talk about things to do with RIB’s, other boats and various, nautical related things.
Try though I might, I don’t think I could fit a 42” plasma TV on my rib, but perhaps I ought to tell you about Sainsbury’s current offer of 3 one-litre bottles of flavoured water for only £1.50 (instead of the normal 59p per litre). Now this clearly represents a super bargain. Not only will the bottles not leak plasma gas, but I will undoubtedly get full value from them before 5 years are up! Maybe even while boating!
The point at issue here, PeterB, Flanker, or whatever your name is this week, that you rudely and persistently bore everyone to death by badgering repeatedly, people that I respect on this forum, by your irrelevant and sadly misguided questions. I am clearly not only talking about this particular thread, but your postings taken as a whole.
This campaign of yours may drive away from this website respected, qualified and experienced people without whose advice we would all be the poorer.
People are normally born with two eyes and only one mouth. It is wisest that we all use them in that ratio.
Old 11 August 2004, 13:15   #13

Sorry if upset anyone and apologise if I did. I did note the heading as non ribby to save any person that would not be interested from looking. Seems these people are STILL looking, with 340 views, it must been interesting to some on here or surely they would ignore it, or am I missing something here? It is funny however that this thread has remained on the positive side even after having my credibility bashed by some. I have also had PM's and positive credibility on a number of other posts so there must be different views to yours on the forum as well. My thread about the TV was to enable someone looking for one to have more money to spend on boating, maybe not logical to some, but that was the reason, looking after mates e.t.c.?
Old 11 August 2004, 14:46   #14

What an absolutely ridiculous post!! Have you forgotten to take your pills today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
The last time I looked at the title of this website it was RIBnet. This means we talk about things to do with RIB’s, other boats and various, nautical related things.
Try though I might, I don’t think I could fit a 42” plasma TV on my rib, but perhaps I ought to tell you about Sainsbury’s current offer of 3 one-litre bottles of flavoured water for only £1.50 (instead of the normal 59p per litre). Now this clearly represents a super bargain. Not only will the bottles not leak plasma gas, but I will undoubtedly get full value from them before 5 years are up! Maybe even while boating!
The point at issue here, PeterB, Flanker, or whatever your name is this week, that you rudely and persistently bore everyone to death by badgering repeatedly, people that I respect on this forum, by your irrelevant and sadly misguided questions. I am clearly not only talking about this particular thread, but your postings taken as a whole.
This campaign of yours may drive away from this website respected, qualified and experienced people without whose advice we would all be the poorer.
People are normally born with two eyes and only one mouth. It is wisest that we all use them in that ratio.
Old 11 August 2004, 17:03   #15

Engine: 200
Hear Hear Brian - Well said.

Old 11 August 2004, 17:10   #16

Errr, does a 260 Zodiac and 3.5hp Mercury get me into the ribby club If so then I've got one, so Hi, I'm Pete
Old 11 August 2004, 18:13   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
well said Brian, this has nothing to do with Ribnet, hopefully JK will delete it on his return.

Pete
Old 11 August 2004, 18:59   #18

Pete7, can we please not leave this debate, I have apologised, I can't remove it, three people I know have bought these today so I doubt there are any left anyway. It just seems plain daft that this uninteresting thread is in the top 20% of those read on the last full page of threads with 505 views now, makes you wonder doesn't it? It just seems childish the way this is going with threats to 'tell teacher when he gets back', I shall not be contributing to this thread again, so perhaps the bitching can now stop and not spoil the forum. Had nobody replied or been interested it would have died it's own death, I take responsibility for putting it here, but there could have been polite ways of mentioning that it should not be here without rudeness and petty bitching.
Old 11 August 2004, 19:03   #19

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
PeteB perhaps JK could move your thread to the 'Other Stuff' bit as most people look for boat-related topics here. It will give him something to do instead of lying on the beach sunning himself

Missus
Old 11 August 2004, 19:06   #20

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Peteb, you might find this a useful forum for a hard boat owner.

http://www.boatmadforum.co.uk/

Pete