Old 13 May 2005, 21:49   #1

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
non-paying auction bidder

I recently sold a large lot of marine equipment on the US eBay site to a person living in the UK, who owns a marine navigation and communication business. He has failed to make payment as promised and been untruthful in his communications. I intend to use the eBay non-payment process but wonder if there is an organization to report such behaviour in the UK. In the US we would contact the Better Business Bureau in his area, where anyone can check to see if there are reports of poor business practices. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 14 May 2005, 02:44   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
I recently sold a large lot of marine equipment on the US eBay site to a person living in the UK, who owns a marine navigation and communication business. He has failed to make payment as promised and been untruthful in his communications. I intend to use the eBay non-payment process but wonder if there is an organization to report such behaviour in the UK. In the US we would contact the Better Business Bureau in his area, where anyone can check to see if there are reports of poor business practices. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.
Depends if he is a ltd company or not - also exactly what went on. You could try suggesting bad publicity to him - ie by posting his details here for example but you would have to get your facts straight.

A solicitors letter can sometimes do the trick or failing that take him to the county court.

Legally the property remains YOURS until it is paid for - having said that with limited liability companies he could let the company go bankrupt and not pay a penny.

So many variables but I am sure people here will assist if we can - no decent person likes this sort of thing!!!
Old 14 May 2005, 11:52   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
If I were you I'd just relist it and try and sell it again. I've had this problem too many times to count on ebay now. It's useless trying to get any sort of come-back. It really gets to me; its an area which is is hugly flawed on ebay. I worry about leaving negative in such cases becasue the buyer normally returns the favor. Grrrr
Old 14 May 2005, 13:11   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Sunrider
You dont say if you sent the goods or not?
If not, just take Tims advice.

If you did send the goods, but he is refusing to make payment..............why don't you let us have his name, and we will send a couple of the lads round pour encourager les outres?
Old 14 May 2005, 13:40   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Ebay goes on about not contacting people outside of the Auction to "protect yourself" more like protect their commision. I have been cheated on ebay and they did nothing.

Forget it.
Old 14 May 2005, 13:46   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
Think I must have misread your post - if you have NOT sent him the goods then as has been suggested just relist them - you haven't REALLY lost anything - maybe get back in touch with the other bidders on ebay and offer them a second chance!!!
Old 14 May 2005, 13:59   #7

thanks for the helpful replies. I had not sent the equipment so the only impact is lost opportunity with other potential buyers, but I intend to relist the items or sell to others who have expressed interest.

My experience with eBay has been generally good - I've been involved in scores of transactions and have 100% postitive feedback, and had only one instance where a bid was a hoax. But that was a case of some kids in Alaska playing around with a computer. This bidder, however, appears to be an adult involved in the marine business on a daily basis - I feel a responsibility to ensure there are some consequences for his behaviour because it reflects and impacts all of us. In particular, this bidder stated, "....negative feedback is of little importance to us, we do not normally trade on ebay." This and other comments give me the feeling that his level of integrity depends on how many miles away he may be from the person he is dealing with. If there was local impact for his actions maybe he would reconsider before acting this way in the future.

I will definately stop in to see him next time I'm in the UK, just to see what kind of a person is on the other end of transactions like this - but I doubt anything would come of legal action so will not persue that option. Is there a trade association I could contact - and/or who would you contact to help determine if an individual or company was involved in questionable business practices in the UK?
Old 14 May 2005, 14:05   #8

The non-paying bidder gives an address in Chichester, West Sussex - does anyone live near that area who I might communicate with privately about this issue? If yes, please email me directly at sunrider@lisco.com. thanks.
Bryan
Old 14 May 2005, 14:54   #9

Town: nr Bristol
Length: no boat
Hi Bryan,

Check if he's a member of either the BMIF (British Marine Industries Federation) or their associated group BMEA (British Marine Electronics Association) - the BMIF are pretty good at dealing with members who mess others around.

If it helps, they're at www.britishmarine.co.uk

But as the others have said, I know it's a pain but at least you haven't really lost anything financially.

Cheers,
Old 14 May 2005, 15:09   #10

thank you...just what I was looking for....
Bryan
Old 14 May 2005, 15:10   #11

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
There is a Fair Trade Association for West Sussex.. But it's a voluntary thing.. You could contact West Sussex Trading Standards peeps, (clicky), to see if this company have been brought to their attention before.. It also maybe an idea to try and find out, (as they are trading as a business), whether or not they are in breach of contract.. The only problem there, is that your on the other side of the pond.. Another option is to "out" them on RIBnet..
Old 14 May 2005, 15:41   #12

thanks again for the helpful info - I've contacted each of the recommended organizations.
Old 14 May 2005, 23:42   #13

Town: London
Boat name: event horizon
Make: Custom
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard
send the boys in

Old 14 May 2005, 23:56   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Diss them here on RIBnet and wait to see if JK gets a solicitor's letter!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote