Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 14 May 2015, 11:11   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
New waterproof automatic drone camera

https://www.lily.camera/

It's not shipping for a while, but there's a presale deal. I accidentally appear to have ordered one. If you find yourself succumbing to temptation then maybe you could help subsidise my impulsiveness by using this affiliate link
http://www.lily.camera/?ct-referral-code=onSdX3aS
Old 14 May 2015, 12:49   #2

I fly these for a hobby and have been flying for 20 years, put simply there is nooooo way that footage was shot with that drone as there are times the camera is panning and tilting and it doesn't do that. What they have done well is effectively make 1 million quid on orders by those not in the know and the hope it will perform as they say.

For more evidence that it doesn't work and no way that took that footage see here- Lily: the $499 'selfie drone' that's your personal videographer | Technology | The Guardian

I am not saying it isn't possible but it isn't possible right now and certainly not as the video dictates.

GPS is only accurate to about 9ft and although that is good that means the drone could be 18ft out of shooting you up/down/left or right and not to mention the heading it is pointing could also be out too as the compass on these is somewhat primitive, the electronics with magnets further adding to the problem, especially at the money we are talking about here. This is chump change for something that flies.

If it was me I'd get a refund and sit tight for 6 months while the firmware revisions roll in. By which time the big players will already have other offerings on the table if it works well.

The legality of using one is also worth considering, someone was fined 3500 quid not long ago for his drone flying out of control and crashed near a sub base.....the dude was only a few miles away from it to begin with so somewhat self inflicted. Even though he had no control over the model he got the blame as if you put it in air you are responsible.

Cheers
Old 14 May 2015, 13:22   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I was dubious over how it would detect collisions, with no mention of any sensors capable of doing so, for example going through a tunnel or a forest, would it crash into something and destroy itself.

Also, the absence of removable batteries is the main disappointment. 20 minutes is fine, as long as I can have lots of them in rapid succession. Let me take multiple batteries and change them.

The concept does look really cool though.
Old 14 May 2015, 13:28   #4

No it can't avoid collisions, it is upto you to fly it not near anything.

Cheers
Old 14 May 2015, 13:37   #5
Administrator

It's a punt, but looks like it could be fun. This sort of tracking technology exists and works. Have a look at the Soloshot tracking tripod for a terrestrial product that's in production.

There's a slightly less disastrous demo video of the Lily here: Lily Is a Camera Drone That Wants to Make Shooting Fun - DIY Photography

Should be interesting to see how it develops.
Old 14 May 2015, 13:39   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
No it can't avoid collisions, it is upto you to fly it not near anything.
And assuming that it actually follows you, that shouldn't be too hard to manage. I'd guess that collision avoidance will be added sometime in future releases.
Old 14 May 2015, 13:44   #7

John, it is indeed a punt and as long as buyer knows that then happy days.

That tech in the tripod isnt close to what is needed in the drone though.

I just hate seeing people piss money away on misleading videos that I can offer an insight into.

Cheers
Old 14 May 2015, 13:45   #8

I think you'll really enjoy it John.
As with anything and everything the longer you wait the more bells and whistles you get for the same price but then it's no longer THE thing to have either.

If it had the removable battery I'd be all over it too!

You'll have to post your experiences with it so we can all get one and pay twice the price once they're out of pre-order!
Old 14 May 2015, 13:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And assuming that it actually follows you, that shouldn't be too hard to manage. I'd guess that collision avoidance will be added sometime in future releases.
I dont think it would be a problem TBH either.

You would have to think collision detection is the next step once they iron out the kinks with the basic product.

Keep your eye on DJI products, if anyone is going to bring one out soon it will be them.

Anyways, cool concept and look forward to more info.

Cheers
Old 14 May 2015, 14:06   #10

DJI look like they are for those who are seriously into it though, a bit of a price jump.

The airdog looks pretty cool, more expensive than the lilly and more similar to the dji phantom prices. Not waterproof but you can put your own gopro on it, replaceable batteries and with a proper gimbal. Also pre-order.
Old 14 May 2015, 14:07   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blootac View Post
You'll have to post your experiences with it so we can all get one and pay twice the price once they're out of pre-order!
Or buy something better and cheaper that will inevitably have hit the market by the time this thing actually ships
Old 14 May 2015, 14:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blootac View Post
DJI look like they are for those who are seriously into it though, a bit of a price jump.

The airdog looks pretty cool, more expensive than the lilly and more similar to the dji phantom prices. Not waterproof but you can put your own gopro on it, replaceable batteries and with a proper gimbal. Also pre-order.
DJI is cheaper than lily at launch though by quite a lot. Leaves enough for a gopro or one of the cheaper equivs if you prefer.

Of course the current DJI models you need to learn to fly and point. You could get into FPV which is another ballgame so we won't go there, although it is brilliant.

Gopro will probably be doing this too I would think, however it will be mega bucks as with everything they make.

Personally I'd say a phantom and sjcam 5000 plus is way to go if you want something now and want to learn to fly them. Failing that maybe get the lily now at a good price or see what else comes. No way they will sell for 1000 bucks, that is fairy land so I wouldn't worry.

Cheers
Old 17 May 2015, 11:56   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Glad I saw this thread, will hang on to my money and wait to se JKs test report in 9-36 months ;-)

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2015, 14:45   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post

The legality of using one is also worth considering, someone was fined 3500 quid not long ago for his drone flying out of control and crashed near a sub base.....the dude was only a few miles away from it to begin with so somewhat self inflicted. Even though he had no control over the model he got the blame as if you put it in air you are responsible.
actually it appears he was fined 800 quid and costs of 3500. The costs are so high because he plead not guilty then failed to turn up (and in England they assume you are guilty then). The court never considered whether he had still committed a crime if he was no longer in control.
Old 17 May 2015, 14:52   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
JK

Have you looked into the sales tax issue.?

I recently took delivery of some of these that were a pre order

https://www.thetileapp.com/

They did arrive (6 months after predicted release date) but I was stung with a £20 tax bill I had to pay. In fact I just got a letter through the door saying I needed to go to a local Royal Mail office and pay £20....without knowing exactly what I was paying for.!!

They wouldn't let me have the package until I paid the tax and it was soooo long after I'd pre ordered I'd forgotten that I'd ordered them.!!

Good luck with the pre order and I'd be looking for a review when you finally get your hands on one.

I suspect this may be one of those 'holy thread revival' moments.!!

James.
Old 17 May 2015, 14:55   #16

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
So how is the tile?!!! How long do they last without charging? Do they work everywhere? Etc
Old 17 May 2015, 15:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
actually it appears he was fined 800 quid and costs of 3500. The costs are so high because he plead not guilty then failed to turn up (and in England they assume you are guilty then). The court never considered whether he had still committed a crime if he was no longer in control.
You put it in the air you are responsible, period.

There is more to that case than is in the public realm.

Cheers
Old 17 May 2015, 15:14   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Glad I saw this thread, will hang on to my money and wait to se JKs test report in 9-36 months ;-)

That's just not cricket. I'm relying on 50 of you buying them via my affiliate link
Old 17 May 2015, 15:17   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
Have you looked into the sales tax issue.?
I'm expecting to pay 20% VAT plus the inevitable "handling charge" of £10-20.

By the time it eventually arrives the pain of actually buying it will be ancient history so it will seem like a proper bargain!
Old 17 May 2015, 15:19   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
New waterproof automatic drone camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So how is the tile?!!! How long do they last without charging? Do they work everywhere? Etc

Replied in original thread.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/rib-security-58497.html