Old 04 January 2012, 15:37   #2

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Blimey, isnt the vessel in trouble the old cable and wireless boat??
Old 04 January 2012, 15:59   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Wonder if this will make the TV show?
I imagine the whalers are using this as an opportunity to leave the area. That they ignored fellow mariners in distress would almost certainly make the TV show. Sad as I am pretty sure if the Japanese ship were cracked the Irwin would stop for them.
Old 04 January 2012, 16:24   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
I imagine the whalers are using this as an opportunity to leave the area. That they ignored fellow mariners in distress would almost certainly make the TV show. Sad as I am pretty sure if the Japanese ship were cracked the Irwin would stop for them.
I don't think any such suggestion has been made. One press report suggests that one of the whaling boats is following them to Australia at a distance of 5 miles, its not clear if this is "shadowing" in case the situation worsens or if it is somehow seen as "hostile". Nothing I have seen suggests that Japanese boats have ignored a distress call.

I'm sure the hull breaking up will feature in the programme though - in an over dramatic "the Steve Irwin battles high seas for 24 hours to get to their colleagues in peril... will they make it in time..." type way... ...nobody will question whether a race boat is the best choice of vessel to take to the Southern Ocean and continuously pound day after day or why the Japanese boats are much bigger and stonger built!
Old 04 January 2012, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I don't think any such suggestion has been made. One press report suggests that one of the whaling boats is following them to Australia at a distance of 5 miles, its not clear if this is "shadowing" in case the situation worsens or if it is somehow seen as "hostile". Nothing I have seen suggests that Japanese boats have ignored a distress call.

I'm sure the hull breaking up will feature in the programme though - in an over dramatic "the Steve Irwin battles high seas for 24 hours to get to their colleagues in peril... will they make it in time..." type way... ...nobody will question whether a race boat is the best choice of vessel to take to the Southern Ocean and continuously pound day after day or why the Japanese boats are much bigger and stonger built!
Well yeah that.

Beleive it or not I don't have cable TV and use a good old fashioned aerial. So we don't get it at all. So I have only seen parts of the show elsewhere, as the channels flip by. TV's a worse mindsuck than the internet.
Old 04 January 2012, 17:20   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Well yeah that.

Beleive it or not I don't have cable TV and use a good old fashioned aerial. So we don't get it at all. So I have only seen parts of the show elsewhere, as the channels flip by. TV's a worse mindsuck than the internet.
Jack, Whilst its hard to imagine an american without cable TV, its quite common on this side of the pond (indeed we can't even get Cable if we want it here - and Satellite requires planning permission and a very special dish!). However, all your american trash TV is eventually shown on the free "terrestrial" channels over here!
Old 04 January 2012, 17:36   #7

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Most of the crew has now been pulled off the Brigitte Bardot and the boat is in tow approxiamtely 120 miles of the coast of Australia. Apparently the side pontoon has now come off completely. What a shame as that boat could have really wreaked havoc on the Japanese boats.
Old 04 January 2012, 17:54   #8

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
Quote:
Really, you would think that? the guys running the boats are probably just trying to keep jobs, even after the japs were rammed by the ady gill they still hung around to offer help.
Old 04 January 2012, 17:56   #9

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
The boat was pursuing the Japanese factory ship Nisshin Maru in six meter (20-foot) swells when the wave slammed into its port side, cracking the hull and severely damaging one of its pontoons, said Watson.

A "wave hit it" chance in a million! I thought that boat had been round the world!
Old 04 January 2012, 18:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
Really, you would think that? the guys running the boats are probably just trying to keep jobs, even after the japs were rammed by the ady gill they still hung around to offer help.
Who knows, the whole thing is so overhyped its hard to know exactly what happens. I would guess the mother whaling ship might depart and leave their miltary assets to render aid to the Sea Shepards though. Otherwise the most effective Sea Shephard tactic of 2013 would be taking an unseaworthy vessel into the southern ocean and having it break apart near the whalers to get them to stop.
Old 04 January 2012, 18:01   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Well I for one enjoyed all the previous series and am equally looking forward to the new installments. I am sure it will be as dramatic as ever and involve alot of 'couch captain' comments from me....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2012, 18:02   #12

Quote:
Jack, Whilst its hard to imagine an american without cable TV, its quite common on this side of the pond (indeed we can't even get Cable if we want it here - and Satellite requires planning permission and a very special dish!). However, all your american trash TV is eventually shown on the free "terrestrial" channels over here!
That's just 'cause your Scottish though Last time I was in London (1990s) I'm pretty sure there was some form of cable!
Old 04 January 2012, 18:03   #13

Town: Chichester
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon 450
Engine: Yammy 50hp
Quote:

I am now remembering the guy a couple of seasons ago lowering the leg on the shiny merc verado into the rocks, and turning the key! Good times!
Old 04 January 2012, 18:13   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarms View Post
I am now remembering the guy a couple of seasons ago lowering the leg on the shiny merc verado into the rocks, and turning the key! Good times!
Exactly. Well worth a watch....

The primary school teacher from where-ever did a fantastic job of completely destroying that defence-less gearbox.......
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2012, 18:18   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
That's just 'cause your Scottish though Last time I was in London (1990s) I'm pretty sure there was some form of cable!
You can get cable "up here" - just not in all streets. We make do with what I call "Council Telly" - although ironically if you go to an council housing scheme you will find almost every house has cable / satellite and a plasma screen!
Old 04 January 2012, 18:49   #16

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
We should send an ambassador from ribnet to teach them how to use a rib safely. I remember watching at least 3 people get injured from not holding on, one was sat on the bow in rough weather!

I would of course love to it but i am...err... not old enough?

Also i remember looking on sea shepherds website to see that the Japanese are going to stop whaling as it's no longer profitable?
Old 04 January 2012, 18:49   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
TV's a worse mindsuck than the internet.
Anyone on here without ANY television?

I gave it up about 20 years ago...
Old 04 January 2012, 19:09   #18

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
for those without any telly or cable ,you tube have a lot of clips from the show
wale wars or sea sheperd.
Old 04 January 2012, 19:39   #19

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Anyone on here without ANY television?

I gave it up about 20 years ago...
I get very close sometimes. Could happily live without it except for a couple of comedy shows that humour me.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2012, 19:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
We should send an ambassador from ribnet to teach them how to use a rib safely. I remember watching at least 3 people get injured from not holding on, one was sat on the bow in rough weather!

I would of course love to it but i am...err... not old enough?

Also i remember looking on sea shepherds website to see that the Japanese are going to stop whaling as it's no longer profitable?
Does RYA PB2 qualify in the Southern Ocean?

(even as a yank I got the lingo occasionally )