Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Yes, I did overlook one of the central tenets of Liberal governance, which is:

Do something!, Do anything!

another such tenet is:

If it moves, tax it. If it still moves, regulate it. Once it stops, subsidize it.
Your Liberal. Our Labour.
Old 02 July 2007, 22:16   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hmmm... just to burst the bubble for those of you who think that the Kiwis are dead cool and have it all sorted....

The price of extreme sports in New Zealand is extortionate. Oh sure, paying in dollars, yen or pounds it looks OK, but when you're not on a package holiday, and you're in tune with the local economy, that nice guy who seems dead cool taking the cash off you for the ride is laughing all the way to the bank! $75NZ may be £38 to you, but locally it's like £187.50 in terms of purchasing power.

And when you leave New Zealand, the Government and Aukland Airport conspire to get the last few dollars off you in the form of $25NZ per person departure tax. We only had $40NZ left and I was made to cough up the difference in a mixture of currencies after I reufsed to use my visa card.

Whilst we were in NZ, on a couple of occasions the locals were embarrsed to charge the extortiante prices their bosses impose on tourists. The car hire girl crossed out our mileage limit and gave us unlimited mileage, and at Aukland airport, the price of two pizza slice was so stupid that when I stared unbelievingly at the girl on the counter she offered me as many free drinks as I wanted.

There's a serious "rip off the tourist" culture.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2007, 06:34   #23

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Quite why people can't work out the risks for themselves is beyond me.
It's called "informed consent" Cod. A member of the public in most countries can't can't legally absolve a company of liability unless they are truly aware of the risks they are about to become involved with. My guess is that many people on these rides listen carefully to the operator explain that they might die or be maimed, then sign the waiver anyway because they "know" that the operator wouldn't do anything to hurt them. They probably have never been on a jet boat, and most certainly haven't been shot up a river like that! Like lambs to slaughter!

I taught SCUBA for 25 years here, and in the Carribbean, from basic level programs to advanced technical courses. The simple reality is that the waivers I had students sign were worthless, especialy at the basic levels. How could a person off the street assume responsibility for risk when they couldn't possibly understand the dangers involved in the sport... That is, after all, what they were paying their money to learn after all, right?

As I said earlier, I am all for the pursuit of "extreme" sports... but a ride like that, where the individual has no ability to control events, is nuts. It's just a matter of statistics until another passenger gets whacked. Mind you, it's not like the human race is on the endangered species list or anything... Darwin had it right after all, didn't he...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2007, 12:03   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

As I said earlier, I am all for the pursuit of "extreme" sports... but a ride like that, where the individual has no ability to control events, is nuts. It's just a matter of statistics until another passenger gets whacked. Mind you, it's not like the human race is on the endangered species list or anything... Darwin had it right after all, didn't he...
The ONLY way I would go on that ride is if I was driving myself - I know I wouldn't have a clue but I am the world's worst passenger.

If people can't see the dangers for themselves they shouldn't be allowed out of the house - it doesn't take a genius to realise that hurtling sideways at rocks at 50mph is not a good thing to do!!!
Old 03 July 2007, 12:21   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I went on this 18 years ago, it blew a vary big hole in our budget!
But we did white water rafting, helicopter ride & jet boat all for the same price of one bungee jump!!! And they even fed us & ended the day socking the bones in a hot tub! they had stopped free bungee jumping if you did it naked B4 we turned up!
I loved New Zealand & would love to go back some day
Old 03 July 2007, 21:02   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
they had stopped free bungee jumping if you did it naked B4 we turned up!
Damn! Where did they tie the chord?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2007, 06:50   #27

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Damn! Where did they tie the chord?