Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 February 2009, 11:13   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Network printing problems

Need a bit of help with our little system at work. We have a computer sitting in the corner of the office which we refer to as our server which holds our work files. It also has two printers attached to it, which are accessible down the network (ethernet) by all other pc's in the office. It runs XPpro (we can't justify the cost of server2003 and all the CAL's etc)

The problem:-
I've just replaced one of the workstation pc's with a new one and have succesfully got everything set up & working except for one of the printers, a dymo labelwriter.

Basically, the dymo software loads fine and i can print to the dymo until I reboot this particular pc at which point it shows the dymo as offline. All other pc's are unaffected and still work and can print to the dymo which tends to rule out a network problem. I can still access all of our files and the other printer from this pc, so again, the network itself and firewalls must be functioning ok.

Strangely, the dymo printer port (IP_192.168.1.111) dissapears from the list of available ports, but if I try to add it, the pc says it already exists. Also, if i select 'go online' I get a message saying 'operation could not be completed'.

It seems to me as though it is losing track of the dymo network link or at least can't see it at bootup. Any thoughts on what to check or try? The dymo helpline tell me it's a network problem and therefore cannot assist and MS knowledgebase isn't much help either.

Keith
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 12:47   #2
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Does the new workstation use Vista, but the old one didnt ? If so .. you may need to go to Dymos web site to get compatible drivers for the new o/s, to work in the new workstation even though the printer is hooked to a server that hasnt changed . I have found sometimes that despite commonality between the way printers are supposed to communicate over a network, sometimes it isnt the case
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 13:23   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
.... until I reboot this particular pc at which point it shows the dymo as offline.
I had a similar problem a month or so ago where the printer was offline when I booted the machine but I couldn't make it online although windows appeared to think it was. My solution was to go to start>printers right click the offending printer and delete it. Go and un-install any associated programs. Reboot the system and then shut it down so it's clean of the printer. Rebooted and reinstalled the printer driver and software and it all worked happily. Easy to do, so worth a try.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 14:53   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Strangely, the dymo printer port (IP_192.168.1.111) dissapears from the list of available ports, but if I try to add it, the pc says it already exists.
But you have another printer set up on that port too? so it will exist (or have you got the other printer set up on a different IP addy/port?)

If it helps at all I have Dymo printers set up as shared printers so e.g. they are accessed as \\Desktop4\Dymo310 rather than over IP ports (although I use IP ports at home under Linux). Doing it this way you can configure individual users/machines with access rights - could it be the same for IP ports? and the new machine is not configed for the Dymo printed (or actually the dymo sharing is not configed for the new machine?).

I assume you can ping 192.168.1.111 ?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 15:58   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Thanks for the thought JW but I've been through the process of delete, reboot and reload a number of times now and it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference.

Polwart - I should have checked my settings a bit more carefully before posting. It is in fact set as a shared printer \\serverpc\dymo330 and not as an IP. I was confusing myself with our other office printers which are true network printers with NIC's. The dymo uses usb. This still doesn't explain why the \\serverpc\dymo330 port doesn't show on the list, and won't allow me to add it either saying it already exists. The workstation uses xp so no issues with software, they both use the same driver. I can only assume it can't see the printer share at bootup so hides it from the list in a 'windows trying to be clever' way.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 16:05   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Polwart - I should have checked my settings a bit more carefully before posting. It is in fact set as a shared printer \\serverpc\dymo330 and not as an IP. I was confusing myself with our other office printers which are true network printers with NIC's. The dymo uses usb. This still doesn't explain why the \\serverpc\dymo330 port doesn't show on the list, and won't allow me to add it either saying it already exists. The workstation uses xp so no issues with software, they both use the same driver. I can only assume it can't see the printer share at bootup so hides it from the list in a 'windows trying to be clever' way.
Ah - OK, well I didn't want to confuse the issues at all. But I have two Dymo printers in the office. Both are set up as shared and as far as I can see have identical settings - but for reasons I never got to the bottom of everyone can print to one of them but not the other... ...I gave up as I had an alternative. I was convinced it was a security setting, but never worked it out.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 16:34   #7
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
So are both printers Dymos ? maybe your new machine has a dynamically assigned ip where your old one was fixed ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 17:39   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
So are both printers Dymos ? maybe your new machine has a dynamically assigned ip where your old one was fixed ?
Nope, one dymo and one brother. All pc's have fixed IP's so I don't think that can be the problem. I've checked firewall settings etc but can't see any reason it should be blocking access. Strange thing is that it works fine after software loading until a reboot happens.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2009, 01:32   #9
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Nope, one dymo and one brother. All pc's have fixed IP's so I don't think that can be the problem. I've checked firewall settings etc but can't see any reason it should be blocking access. Strange thing is that it works fine after software loading until a reboot happens.
Well your machine must be resetting a network address/configuration when it reboots, and is not retaining the settings that the Dymo software gives it when you install it. Presumably the network H/W is in built into the motherboard , so there may be a setting in the BIOS which controls how the network hardware configures at startup which the software cannot change once the detection part has run during install

edit .. you mention firewalls, buth IMO there shouldnt be any turned on if you are using a router as a hub, the dhcp server in the router is your firewall,.. make sure the standard windows ones are turned off on your workstation because printer software usually opens a port through here to install its self, the pc might be closing that again when you reboot.
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2009, 04:53   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Thanks Bigmuz. This could be getting a little complicated for me. However, just to answer a couple of your points - our pc's are linked via a standard network switch with an uplink to the router for internet access. The router therfore doesn't provide any firewall protection between machines as it were. As such there's no dhcp control being provided by it either.

I think your point about startup preventing the software from 'mapping' the printer is along the right lines. The NIC is a built-in type (Dell pc - I know I know I should have learnt by now!) However, the other printer and mapped drives connect fine, so why should just the dymo be problematic?

Cheers

Keith
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.