Old 18 February 2009, 15:13   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Network printing problems

Need a bit of help with our little system at work. We have a computer sitting in the corner of the office which we refer to as our server which holds our work files. It also has two printers attached to it, which are accessible down the network (ethernet) by all other pc's in the office. It runs XPpro (we can't justify the cost of server2003 and all the CAL's etc)

The problem:-
I've just replaced one of the workstation pc's with a new one and have succesfully got everything set up & working except for one of the printers, a dymo labelwriter.

Basically, the dymo software loads fine and i can print to the dymo until I reboot this particular pc at which point it shows the dymo as offline. All other pc's are unaffected and still work and can print to the dymo which tends to rule out a network problem. I can still access all of our files and the other printer from this pc, so again, the network itself and firewalls must be functioning ok.

Strangely, the dymo printer port (IP_192.168.1.111) dissapears from the list of available ports, but if I try to add it, the pc says it already exists. Also, if i select 'go online' I get a message saying 'operation could not be completed'.

It seems to me as though it is losing track of the dymo network link or at least can't see it at bootup. Any thoughts on what to check or try? The dymo helpline tell me it's a network problem and therefore cannot assist and MS knowledgebase isn't much help either.

Keith
Old 18 February 2009, 16:47   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Does the new workstation use Vista, but the old one didnt ? If so .. you may need to go to Dymos web site to get compatible drivers for the new o/s, to work in the new workstation even though the printer is hooked to a server that hasnt changed . I have found sometimes that despite commonality between the way printers are supposed to communicate over a network, sometimes it isnt the case
Old 18 February 2009, 17:23   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
.... until I reboot this particular pc at which point it shows the dymo as offline.
I had a similar problem a month or so ago where the printer was offline when I booted the machine but I couldn't make it online although windows appeared to think it was. My solution was to go to start>printers right click the offending printer and delete it. Go and un-install any associated programs. Reboot the system and then shut it down so it's clean of the printer. Rebooted and reinstalled the printer driver and software and it all worked happily. Easy to do, so worth a try.
Old 18 February 2009, 18:53   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Strangely, the dymo printer port (IP_192.168.1.111) dissapears from the list of available ports, but if I try to add it, the pc says it already exists.
But you have another printer set up on that port too? so it will exist (or have you got the other printer set up on a different IP addy/port?)

If it helps at all I have Dymo printers set up as shared printers so e.g. they are accessed as \\Desktop4\Dymo310 rather than over IP ports (although I use IP ports at home under Linux). Doing it this way you can configure individual users/machines with access rights - could it be the same for IP ports? and the new machine is not configed for the Dymo printed (or actually the dymo sharing is not configed for the new machine?).

I assume you can ping 192.168.1.111 ?
Old 18 February 2009, 19:58   #5

Thanks for the thought JW but I've been through the process of delete, reboot and reload a number of times now and it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference.

Polwart - I should have checked my settings a bit more carefully before posting. It is in fact set as a shared printer \\serverpc\dymo330 and not as an IP. I was confusing myself with our other office printers which are true network printers with NIC's. The dymo uses usb. This still doesn't explain why the \\serverpc\dymo330 port doesn't show on the list, and won't allow me to add it either saying it already exists. The workstation uses xp so no issues with software, they both use the same driver. I can only assume it can't see the printer share at bootup so hides it from the list in a 'windows trying to be clever' way.
Old 18 February 2009, 20:05   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Polwart - I should have checked my settings a bit more carefully before posting. It is in fact set as a shared printer \\serverpc\dymo330 and not as an IP. I was confusing myself with our other office printers which are true network printers with NIC's. The dymo uses usb. This still doesn't explain why the \\serverpc\dymo330 port doesn't show on the list, and won't allow me to add it either saying it already exists. The workstation uses xp so no issues with software, they both use the same driver. I can only assume it can't see the printer share at bootup so hides it from the list in a 'windows trying to be clever' way.
Ah - OK, well I didn't want to confuse the issues at all. But I have two Dymo printers in the office. Both are set up as shared and as far as I can see have identical settings - but for reasons I never got to the bottom of everyone can print to one of them but not the other... ...I gave up as I had an alternative. I was convinced it was a security setting, but never worked it out.
Old 18 February 2009, 20:34   #7

So are both printers Dymos ? maybe your new machine has a dynamically assigned ip where your old one was fixed ?
Old 18 February 2009, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
So are both printers Dymos ? maybe your new machine has a dynamically assigned ip where your old one was fixed ?
Nope, one dymo and one brother. All pc's have fixed IP's so I don't think that can be the problem. I've checked firewall settings etc but can't see any reason it should be blocking access. Strange thing is that it works fine after software loading until a reboot happens.
Old 19 February 2009, 05:32   #9

Quote:
Nope, one dymo and one brother. All pc's have fixed IP's so I don't think that can be the problem. I've checked firewall settings etc but can't see any reason it should be blocking access. Strange thing is that it works fine after software loading until a reboot happens.
Well your machine must be resetting a network address/configuration when it reboots, and is not retaining the settings that the Dymo software gives it when you install it. Presumably the network H/W is in built into the motherboard , so there may be a setting in the BIOS which controls how the network hardware configures at startup which the software cannot change once the detection part has run during install

edit .. you mention firewalls, buth IMO there shouldnt be any turned on if you are using a router as a hub, the dhcp server in the router is your firewall,.. make sure the standard windows ones are turned off on your workstation because printer software usually opens a port through here to install its self, the pc might be closing that again when you reboot.
Old 19 February 2009, 08:53   #10

Thanks Bigmuz. This could be getting a little complicated for me. However, just to answer a couple of your points - our pc's are linked via a standard network switch with an uplink to the router for internet access. The router therfore doesn't provide any firewall protection between machines as it were. As such there's no dhcp control being provided by it either.

I think your point about startup preventing the software from 'mapping' the printer is along the right lines. The NIC is a built-in type (Dell pc - I know I know I should have learnt by now!) However, the other printer and mapped drives connect fine, so why should just the dymo be problematic?

Cheers

Keith
Old 19 February 2009, 10:26   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Since you're down to grasping at straws, here's another time windows ran a program after installation but not after rebooting but it's a long shot for you.

I did a re-installation of Windows and then installed the Garmin Mapsource software. I've installed this software successfully umpteen times. I was installing it to drive D and during installation I had the option of choosing the directory for the install (Garmin's default was drive C) after installation everything ran ok. On rebooting it didn't. The cause was the installation had put some of the program files into the D directory and others into C. Fek knows why. Anyway, I copied the files from C into D and it found them and ran fine. However, I guess before rebooting Windows must have kept track of the files or it wouldn't have known where to find them.

Edit: I best say that before I sussed what was happening, I installed and uninstalled the software a few times and each time it failed to run after rebooting. I presume it split the files between drives C & D each time.
Old 19 February 2009, 17:47   #12

Quote:
Thanks Bigmuz. This could be getting a little complicated for me. However, just to answer a couple of your points - our pc's are linked via a standard network switch with an uplink to the router for internet access. The router therfore doesn't provide any firewall protection between machines as it were. As such there's no dhcp control being provided by it either.

I think your point about startup preventing the software from 'mapping' the printer is along the right lines. The NIC is a built-in type (Dell pc - I know I know I should have learnt by now!) However, the other printer and mapped drives connect fine, so why should just the dymo be problematic?

Cheers

Keith
Right .. so you have a standard switch for a hub then, and an RJ45 cable from there to your router for internet access, yes ? if so the router runs a DHCP server (or it should) which acts as a firewall for your whole network, be careful that it isnt an ADSL modem , (which might be connected to your server DIRECTLY via USB , if this is the case then your network uses your server machine as a gateway , in which case it needs to be firewalled )

If the former is correct get rid of any windows firewalls in Start > settings>control panel, turn them all off. Next , go to your LAN connection go to properties highlight the TCP/IP part select properties and set it to obtain ip automatically, reboot, reinstall your Dymo stuff, you shouldnt need to remove it, just reinstall, it should see the printer then reboot and see how it goes ?

If the latter is correct, do all above but make sure your turn on the firewalls in you local workstation again once/if everything is running.

I take it you dont have any antivirus software running when you install the dymo stuff ?, if so disable it too untill you get to the bottom of what the problem is

I've checked some BIOS setups and dont really see any settings that would not make your onboard LAN work properly apart from an on off setting, if it works at all which you say it does its more likely to be a user setting.

The main thrust of my point is

1 Set machines network Ip to be obtained automatically
2 get rid of AV software and firewalls for now
3 Since its a new PC, it may have something running that you are not familliar with, check for anything like this and turn it off, say some network control wizard or something

If it starts up with something that you want to disable go to start>run> type msconfig , and disable what you think it is from the start menu

See how that goes ? and - apologies if thats over simplified for your abilities, dont mean to teach my granny etc .. but these are amongst the most common reasons for it not to work , you might have changed a few of them but just not the right bit
Old 19 February 2009, 20:18   #13

Okey dokey and thanks very much for your help. You're assumption is right, a standard switch with RJ45 link to the router (Vigor 2600 or similar) which also acts as the gateway. DHCP is turned off as all machines and printers on the net have fixed IP's. I can't remember whether I've turned off the AV when doing the driver load, so I'll certainly give that a go tomorrow. The dymo driver has to be uninstalled with a dymo 'remover' tool, so I've been doing that each time anyway.

Unless it will really make a difference to the system, I really don't fancy buggering about with all the pc's and printers and changing them to obtain an IP automatically. And although I say it is a new machine, it is actually a couple of years old (from the boss's home), but with a new hardrive and fresh windows install, so I know there's nothing on it that I didn't install myself.

I'll turn off AV and firewalls over the weekend when I have time to play and see what I can achieve.

Cheers
Old 19 February 2009, 21:19   #14

Quote:
the router (Vigor 2600 or similar)
Is an excellent piece of kit

Quote:
DHCP is turned off as all machines and printers on the net have fixed IP's.
Should be on regardless of ip's but we'll get back to that

Quote:
Unless it will really make a difference to the system, I really don't fancy buggering about with all the pc's and printers and changing them to obtain an IP automatically.
Thats not what I said .. and dont do it ! I was only referring to your new machine!! .. I dont know if it was you or some IT Bod who set your gear up ! perhaps you could advise me on that one
Old 20 February 2009, 08:12   #15

Our system was originally set up by a local firm back in the days of RG58 cables and Netbios. As we've grown and updated I have taken over the administration, so what we presently have is all my doing

DHCP is definitely turned off in the router (have just checked). I can always see the printer via 'network neighbourhood' it's only the printer driver that seems to 'lose' it.