Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 November 2012, 12:13   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Music Licences

I saw this recently at a local business and though how useful it was, clearly it would be wrong to have music aboard when others might listen to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	74103  
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 12:45   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
PRS/PPL licenses are no joke these days. The business occupier is charged per 1/2hour for all hours opened. It can run into £100s per month for a bar or nightclub and, they have the power to close a place down with very little notice.

Free download of music has caused the extreme ramping up of PRS/PPL.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 13:00   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
What about those thumping bass sounds in the big truck, Mollers? No PRS licence needed there.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 13:03   #4
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
I have a friend that is office bound, he was "cold-called" a few weeks back by a friendly voice that asked him what she could hear in the background.
He replied that it was the radio but couldn't name the song.
The caller then asked whether it was on all day and if the song would come up again.......you get the drift.
Turns out the call was recorded and the office was fined quite heavily for playing music in "public" without a license esp. as the music was heard on the recording.
Watch yer backs
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 13:35   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
PRS/PPL licenses are no joke these days. The business occupier is charged per 1/2hour for all hours opened. It can run into £100s per month for a bar or nightclub and, they have the power to close a place down with very little notice.
Yes.

They "do" all types of business. They're basically debt collectors and make a nice living out of it. You CAN buy music that is exempt - but I doubt if you'd enjoy it much
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 13:46   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,789
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yes.

They "do" all types of business. They're basically debt collectors and make a nice living out of it. You CAN buy music that is exempt - but I doubt if you'd enjoy it much

Yes even way back in the dark days of the eighties when I was in the Hotel business they were at it knocking the door looking for royalties from the juke boxes we had.
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 13:59   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
they have the power to close a place down with very little notice.
Really? Under which legislation? As I understand it they have no statutory power to close someone down, I guess there may be some convoluted route but certainly not ön very little notice" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
...the office was fined quite heavily for playing music in "public" without a license esp. as the music was heard on the recording...
Similarly there is no power to "fine" someone. It is a civil matter.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 14:09   #8
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
I have a friend that is office bound, he was "cold-called" a few weeks back by a friendly voice that asked him what she could hear in the background.
He replied that it was the radio but couldn't name the song.
The caller then asked whether it was on all day and if the song would come up again.......you get the drift.
Turns out the call was recorded and the office was fined quite heavily for playing music in "public" without a license esp. as the music was heard on the recording.
Watch yer backs
Your friend could equally counter claim that he was in his 'cubicle' at work and that only he could hear his personal radio therefore he was exempt. As I understand it the key factor is how many people can hear it. They did the sales company i used to work for who responded by banning the playing of music on the sales floor in order to stave off the PRS claim. A fortnight later it was all forgotten and the radios went back on. As far as I know the PRS never got back in touch. They're just looking for an easy touch.

It's the death throes of a dying industry.
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 14:19   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,157
Doesn't make any sense, who is allowed to listen to the radio? Go to any property with a white van parked out side and you'll find a builder inside listening to the radio and drinking tea, now try and tell them to turn it off.
__________________
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 14:20   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What about those thumping bass sounds in the big truck, Mollers? No PRS licence needed there.
Got the Kenwood 50w per ch unit, but original Iveco speakers. 'Pump up the distortion, pump it up.......'.

Trucking to Barnsley on Fri.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.