Old 16 August 2005, 10:28   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
mp3 / ipod players

hi , was browsing on ebay for a mp3 player , i am after a small ish mp3 player with 1GB memory but am i right in saying that 1GB holds about 300 minutes or songs ?

i would like to know the best sort of mp3 player i should bid on , i dont know much about them but its needs to have about 300 songs worth of memory

any suggestions or comments much appreciated
thanks
Old 16 August 2005, 10:32   #2

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Hannah, youll probably find on ebay for example that the place is flooded with them, most of them come from japan and china and you have to pay shipping costs, usually around £8 or 9 quid, I won one about 6months ago for £27 quid all in delivered, (256mb), I can get around 4/5 albums on it, does me proud and seems pretty "olly" proof, the headphone were complete arse to, bought a nice pair of badboy sony ones for argos for 8:99
Old 16 August 2005, 11:09   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Hannah - amount of music depends on lots of things - the rate which it is sampled for example - 128bit is standard but higher bitrates mean better quality(hard to tell though) obviously the higer the bitrate the more space a track needs.

On AVERAGE you can say 1min = 1 meg so a 1GB player will do about 1000mins of music or 16hrs - more than enough!!!

Save yourself some money and get a 512mb version - they are so easy to put music onto you just keep swapping and changing.

As to the best type - stay away from the IPOD - the form of copyright on Apple Itunes is a pain - no doubt you being a typical teenager(nearly) you download from Emule or simiular anyway.....

Most of the cheaper MP3 players have a fixed amount of memory - you are better off getting one that can use SD cards - you can then have a few spare cards and can use them in digital cameras as well.

Go to your nearest Dixons or Currys or similar - find one you like which pref takes the SD cards and then shop aropund on the net for a cheaper one!!!
Old 16 August 2005, 11:27   #4

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
As to the best type - stay away from the IPOD - the form of copyright on Apple Itunes is a pain -
Don't understand what you mean by that!

I use a 40 gig ipod, and obviously use the itunes software to upload to the unit, but that doesn't restrict what you can put on it.
I save all my tracks as mp3, as it's the most versatile with all the other stuff I do, it works just fine.

I agree with the rest of what you say tho'
Old 16 August 2005, 13:16   #5

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
I use a creative Zen as it accepts more files than the ipod and although isn't quite as sexy does the same thing better for less.
Old 16 August 2005, 17:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
Don't understand what you mean by that!

I use a 40 gig ipod, and obviously use the itunes software to upload to the unit, but that doesn't restrict what you can put on it.
I save all my tracks as mp3, as it's the most versatile with all the other stuff I do, it works just fine.

I agree with the rest of what you say tho'
If you take the mp3s you have downloaded and try to use them on another player - or burn them to disk or put them on another computer you get problems. They are fine if you only use them on the same setup!!!
Old 16 August 2005, 20:41   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
I looked into an MP3 to transmit to a radio on a RIB,I was looking to go solid state(no moving parts)rather then 1gb plus with a moving hard drive.
The ipod/creative zen do have anti skip protection,I think it was around 25 minutes from memory,I never actually got aroung to trying one though so some of this could be part of the salesmans patter.
I am not sure I would want to subject a hard drive device to a lot of abuse(I was also going to use it for running)
Old 17 August 2005, 02:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboli
I looked into an MP3 to transmit to a radio on a RIB,I was looking to go solid state(no moving parts)rather then 1gb plus with a moving hard drive.
The ipod/creative zen do have anti skip protection,I think it was around 25 minutes from memory,I never actually got aroung to trying one though so some of this could be part of the salesmans patter.
I am not sure I would want to subject a hard drive device to a lot of abuse(I was also going to use it for running)
I really don't see the point in spinning disks when memory is so cheap and so big these days.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:11   #9

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
If you take the mp3s you have downloaded and try to use them on another player - or burn them to disk or put them on another computer you get problems. They are fine if you only use them on the same setup!!!
Codders - try looking at http://www.hymn-project.org/

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2005, 12:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
Codders - try looking at http://www.hymn-project.org/
I guessed there would be a way around it - there ALWAYS is - but much easier to avoid the probs in the first place!!!

Should be useful for anyone daft enough to buy one though......
Old 17 August 2005, 12:30   #11

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
On the subject of Copyrightnig etc, look out for Sony as well as Ipod. It behaves in a similar way to the Ipod in that you have to use their software to load up tracks and in fact doesn't let you load up tracks that are bought off Napster (which they didn't tell me in the shop....).

I have the 20Gb HDD Walkman and its great so long as you don't want to buy from Napster or, ahem, share tracks with other people...It does have a genuine 40 hour battery life, which I haven't seen on anything else.

I know you were only talking about 1GB players, but I guess the same software restrictions apply to all Sony players.
Old 17 August 2005, 15:58   #12

Sony are a nightmare when it comes to things like this - mate of mine just wouldn't listen and went out and bought a Sony DVD player for about £200 - of course he wanted to watch copied films etc - no chance!!! He went out and bought a cheapy for about £50 which would play anything you threw at it.....