Click Here to Login

Old 18 August 2013, 21:05   #1

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Moving to Southampton - advice!!!

In 3 weeks I start a new job in Southampton - hence need to move from sunny Northern Ireland to Southampton!
Initially I will be in rented accommodation until we get the house sold here, find and buy over there. I will go over alone initially with wife and 3 young kids following when property sorted.
My wife is from Hampshire, and went to Uni in Southampton many moons ago, I did a few courses at Warsash over the years and came up and own the Solent many times - so not totally blind but in truth we have little knowledge of the City and hence my post here as I know a pretty big forum following from in and around the Solent.

Areas - we have (internet based) narrowed our search to I suppose three particular areas - each with their own advantages/disadvantages bearing in mind I will be working/based in pretty much the centre of Southampton.

1) Hedge End/West End
2) Chandlers Ford
3) Portchester (I know this not technically Southampton!)

With regards to transport links/property prices/social life/crime/schools would be really interested to hear from any of you on those particular areas - feel free to pm
When I get over there in a few weeks I of course intend driving about, going to particular areas day and night to have a look and et a feel for particular areas.

Boating - I intend bringing the RIB over with me (probably not straight way though) - have looked at various RIB storage options (all a lot more expensive than Ireland), more than likely for a variety of reasons - local knowledge/handiness/ease of use/lack of help etc I will go down the dry stack route and Steve at KB Drystack has been very helpful and more than likely that is where the boat will go. It seems ironic that I bought this boat from Hampshire, brought it all the way back here - and am now going to take it all the way back!
Aware this would have the boat in Portsmouth but believe good road network so even if living in Southampton boat not too far away and does away with sped limit restrictions on Hamble. If end up in Portchester then obviously this an ideal base for the boat?
I would hope that the social side of boating/ribbing will enable making new friends and acquaintances particularly with the social side of ribnet!

Fishing - I do a lot of fishing! Will in due course looking for some marks for the best bass/cod and plaice fishing on the Solent

So basically any local knowledge much appreciated - and thanks.
Old 18 August 2013, 21:13   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
my kids live with the ex in Porchester....and have just finished/ are finishing school there.

I've no experience of Chandler Ford, but have spent time in Hedge end which felt a little 'cold' to me.

Porchester for me has more appeal due to its age/history and of course has the dry stack in it.
Old 18 August 2013, 21:18   #3

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Good luck with the move!

If you keep the rib on the Portsmouth side then you have plenty of good fishing around the forts and it is only a short run for you
Old 18 August 2013, 21:21   #4

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Don't know much about the desirable areas in Southampton but have recently researched some properties in West Totton which seems to be very popular and an easy commute into Southampton.

This dry stack seems to be quite reasonable and were very helpful when I was looking for a place to store my RIB Southampton Dry Stack - Boat Storage, Launching, Marina, Solent, Southampton Water, UK
Located centre of Southampton so easy to get there. Also found their rates very competitive. They are based on the Itchen so not too far to go before you can open the throttle.
Old 18 August 2013, 21:32   #5

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
In 3 weeks I start a new job in Southampton - hence need to move from sunny Northern Ireland to Southampton!
Initially I will be in rented accommodation until we get the house sold here, find and buy over there. I will go over alone initially with wife and 3 young kids following when property sorted.
My wife is from Hampshire, and went to Uni in Southampton many moons ago, I did a few courses at Warsash over the years and came up and own the Solent many times - so not totally blind but in truth we have little knowledge of the City and hence my post here as I know a pretty big forum following from in and around the Solent.

Areas - we have (internet based) narrowed our search to I suppose three particular areas - each with their own advantages/disadvantages bearing in mind I will be working/based in pretty much the centre of Southampton.

1) Hedge End/West End
2) Chandlers Ford

With regards to transport links/property prices/social life/crime/schools would be really interested to hear from any of you on those particular areas - feel free to pm
When I get over there in a few weeks I of course intend driving about, going to particular areas day and night to have a look and et a feel for particular areas.

Boating - I intend bringing the RIB over with me (probably not straight way though) - have looked at various RIB storage options (all a lot more expensive than Ireland), more than likely for a variety of reasons - local knowledge/handiness/ease of use/lack of help etc I will go down the dry stack route and Steve at KB Drystack has been very helpful and more than likely that is where the boat will go. It seems ironic that I bought this boat from Hampshire, brought it all the way back here - and am now going to take it all the way back!
Aware this would have the boat in Portsmouth but believe good road network so even if living in Southampton boat not too far away and does away with sped limit restrictions on Hamble. If end up in Portchester then obviously this an ideal base for the boat?
I would hope that the social side of boating/ribbing will enable making new friends and acquaintances particularly with the social side of ribnet!

Fishing - I do a lot of fishing! Will in due course looking for some marks for the best bass/cod and plaice fishing on the Solent

Hi Paul

Go on then, spill the beans and PM me who your gonna be working for....

Im only around the corner if you need any help btw.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 18 August 2013, 21:41   #6
NSS

Length: no boat
If you have three young kids, I'd respectfully suggest you look into the local schools in your target locations (if you haven't already), or get the opinions of those on here who may have kids of school age in those areas.

Better to have to drive a few miles extra to get to the boat (and/or work) than find yourself wanting to move half a mile just to get into the catchment area of a better school in a year or two's time.

There are three Local Education Authorities (LEAs) in the Solent region, Hampshire, Southampton and Portsmouth.

Look out for properties advertised as being "in the catchment area of XYZ school" - they tend not to do that if the local school is carp! ;-)
Old 18 August 2013, 21:53   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
From Portchester the M27 in the morning rush hour is quite busy as is the traffic into Southampton. Chandlers Ford down the M3 into Sarfhampton just as busy. The sensible option would be a mountain bike and the train from Portchester, about 25 minutes from memory.

Cams Hill just to the West of Portchester next to Fareham had a good reputation as a school. Fareham is another option to Portchester and a mix of new and old houses. Older Fareham houses likely to have sufficient room to park the rib at home as many peeps on here do.

Don't stray over the Portchester border into Paulsgrove, not a nice area. Had a great view from my house in Portchester up on the hill and could see Hayling Island to Calshot on a good day.

Chandlers Ford has a lot of new housing so small houses with tiny gardens. Tends to be a bit of an overflow from Winchester.

Hythe opposite Sarfhampton is another option if you are happy to catch the ferry across the water each day.

Hedge End another overflow for Southampton and Portsmouth with lots of modern housing. West End has some older housing stock so bigger houses often on steep hills.
Old 18 August 2013, 23:30   #8

Gents - that's brilliant information so far. Thank you and keep it coming!
Old 19 August 2013, 08:13   #9

Town: fareham
Boat name: slugger
Make: avon
Engine: outboard
Moving to Southampton - Advice

Why not try further West of Portchester and look at Stubbington, Lee on the Solent or Locksheath. I commute into Southampton centre each day from Stubbington and in term time it takes 40mins, school holiday times about 30mins.
All the above places are nice and near to the water and have some good schools, property prices not too bad either.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:08   #10
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudlarker View Post
Why not try further West of Portchester and look at Stubbington, Lee on the Solent or Locksheath. I commute into Southampton centre each day from Stubbington and in term time it takes 40mins, school holiday times about 30mins.
All the above places are nice and near to the water and have some good schools, property prices not too bad either.
I'd second that, and add Warsash, Hamble and Whiteley (though the first two of those can be a bit more pricey depending on position and what sort of property you're looking for).
Old 19 August 2013, 11:26   #11

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:

1) Hedge End/West End
2) Chandlers Ford

Good luck with the move!!

there are of course good and bad areas everywhere, personally as someone who has lived in Hampshire for the last 10 years i would stick with southampton areas over porchester but thats personal preference.

As someone has said already, with kids, schools will i guess be important. Chandlers Ford has some very good schools which maybe of interest. there are some lovely parts of chandlers ford too with big houses and big gardens all depends on budget! obvoiusly if kids are going to private schools its less of an issue.

Transport from Chandlers ford / Hedge end / West end will be largely the same. having moved last year out from Hamble i dont miss the 10 miles along the M27 into Southampton! it really was a pain in the backside almost every day if your comuting in rush hour. that said, Hamble is a pretty nice place to live!

for boat storage, if you living in the southampton area it would annoy me going to portsmouth for the boat when there are so many places closer.

Southampton dry stack
Saxon wharf dry stack (MDL)
Hamble point Dry Stack (MDL)
Hamble Yacht Services Dry Stack (Hamble)
Universal Marina (dry stack)
Drivers Wharf

+ various other on water marinas in the local area.

yes, there is a speed limit on the hamble (as there is on the itchen) but no different to the Portsmouth harbour speed limit.... its 6 and 2 threes to be honest!

fishing.... cant help there, ive never tried it!

i guess area will depend on where your working and when your commuting as well as schools and areas, there are plenty of areas in southampton i would want to avoid but they will present themselves when you start to drive around looking...
Old 19 August 2013, 11:41   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudlarker View Post
I've family in Lee ...and have lived there . Its great , the schools are good but hugely over subscribed .

My step sister is having to send her kids to Rowner school instead of the school half a mile away .......

I've done the commute to Southampton town centre from LOS for several years..I wish I'd done it in 40 mins ....in winter I'd always put an hour each way minimum...
Old 19 August 2013, 13:11   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Engine: Inboard
Chandlers Ford is nice (well it would be I live there), the schools are good and access is excellent to the M3 / M27. Lacking decent pubs although a few good ones near bye. We're at the Saxon Wharf dry stack up the Itchen which I would recommend. Southampton Dry Stack, as already mentioned good too.

Several decent slips around if you prefer that.
Old 19 August 2013, 18:10   #14

Town: Fareham
I've lived in Fareham 47 years. There aren't many schools in the Portchester to Warsash area's that are bad. I have a personal dislike to living in either Portsmouth or Southampton probably because I'm more used to the quieter area's. Portchester is a nice place to live, I've walked all around this area as my best friend lives here and owns two red setters that we've walked miles, both along the fore shore and up portsdown hill. Like already said, there are many properties around here that have driveways where you can store your RIB. There are loads of lauching places too. If you like fishing like me then you don't always want to use the boat. You can fish the harbour really easy from the shore with good sized Bass your target along with Mullet.

Good luck with your house hunting and if I can lend you any assistance please let me know.

Some piccies of my son with a Bass at Portchester Castle a couple of weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130819_190707.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	84359

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130819_190807.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	84360

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 18:17   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going Southampton with an aching in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl down there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.

Old 19 August 2013, 19:28   #16

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Have you considered the West of Southampton? Places such as Ashurst, Bartley, Lyndhurst (traffic a bit of a nightmare in the summer) and even Brockenhurst are really nice and being in the New Forest Park gives you some protection from development. Romsey is also worth looking at.

I'm biased, but launching from Lymington and being instantly in the Solent is so much better than when we launched from (and lived in) Marchwood and had the drag all the way down Southampton water.

HTH

Neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2013, 13:58   #17

Neill, the wife has family in Petersfield so she really wants to be on east side of Southamoton or surrounding- ease of visiting, babysitting etc Also worried about new Forest traffic!

Really do appreciate all the help, advice and certainly will be in touch with some of you via pm. Appreciate it, especially the info re schools (non private) which is of prime importance to us with kids at 1.5, 5 and 7. Very good point re house listings mentioning school catchments- it's actually very noticeable when I went back and had a look!

Paul
Old 20 August 2013, 14:44   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Neill, the wife has family in Petersfield so she really wants to be on east side of Southamoton or surrounding- ease of visiting, babysitting etc Also worried about new Forest traffic!

Really do appreciate all the help, advice and certainly will be in touch with some of you via pm. Appreciate it, especially the info re schools (non private) which is of prime importance to us with kids at 1.5, 5 and 7. Very good point re house listings mentioning school catchments- it's actually very noticeable when I went back and had a look!

Paul
Hi Paul. Southern New Forest has the general traffic probs if you have to go anywhere near Lyndhurst. The Northern side and North East side is very quiet and I almost daily travel into Hamble from Northern side. Have a few choices from M27 which has been OK but I miss BHols and Friday pm coming back as it slows onto A31. I get no Forest Traffic as you put it. You have a choice then of Romsey and villages East of A36. Not sure on schools though
Old 26 August 2013, 12:19   #19

Have spent the weekend in and around Southampton. Temporary rental accommodation for myself sorted.
Drive around, and had a look around our proposed areas. Really like the look of chandlers ford, seems to have brilliant and easy transport into Southampton and excellent schools. Also great for the airport both for work and going to visit home! Properties at the moment selling very well/and in truth many at top of or exceeding my proposed budget!
Hedge end. Also really liked this area. Would perhaps be more house for the money than chandlers ford??? Again transport and schools would appear very good.
Portchester- like the area but in truth the potential daily commute worries me! Property also expensive but schools mainly good.
Identified a few other possibilities as well fair oak? And think botley??
Off to have look at dry stack in Portsmouth now- then back to the Emerald Isle with a lot to ponder
Old 26 August 2013, 18:33   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
I've spent my entire life (38yrs) about 4 miles from Botley. I'm really happy with where I live, wouldn't move, especially as I have a business that has a large local client base.

Botley is nice, and it's only a few miles from West End/Hedge End....and of course the source of the River Hamble.!!

I would start with the Schools, pick a good one, and work from there. The Solent is pretty excessible from most of the areas you have shown and interest in

More than happy to answer any questions you have, especially if you chose to want to move towards the Bishops Waltham/Waltham Chase/Shedfield area..