Old 09 March 2007, 15:20   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Mosquitos

On a different matter i wish to present a theory that I have had to live with for some time.
Essentially I believe that if the Mosquito can spread Malaria, swamp fever and other diseases, I cannot see why it cannot spread AIDS.

Think of the dirty needle where the mossie can puncture the skin of one perhaps AIDS infected person, suck out Blood, replace with its own saliva (To fill the vaccume), leave that person and land on the next and do the same thing. On a numbers game in a room with people infected, throw in a few mossies and then what. I have heard several arguments about sample by volume etc, but nothing has convinced me to believe differently...

What do you people think.....

Old 09 March 2007, 15:53   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Medical world has denied this generally thus far...

Scary thought mind you Aidan!

K & P

Old 09 March 2007, 18:23   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have thought this for a long time Aidan - it is highly unlikely but has to be possible. Same as you CAN get aids from a bog seat - if you happen to have a cut on your leg in the same place as some aids carrier who sat on the seat before you for example.
Old 09 March 2007, 18:49   #4

yes guys, I have carried this theory with me for years, what if i am right.....
Well there is little they can do about it as DDT did not work.

I have bounced it off several doctors and "clever people" and all I got back was it couldnt happen" followed by a smile and nothing concrete to go with it.
Shower of Gobshites.... Anyway no one to this day can give me an argument
as to why it cannot happen.
Obviously to develop full blown AIds requires further developments, but all it takes for HIV pos is a pin prick, now how small is a pin prick...
Mosquito small?
Guess what, it matters as when you go for a Bank Loan and Insurance, guess what.... NO I am sorry, cos you were bitten by a mosquito, or have HIV or what,,,, I dont know but If I was in a room where many people had aids and there were a few Mosquitoes, I wonder how happy I would be???
Old 10 March 2007, 08:35   #5

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Very interesting and I dont know the answer -I have suffered from Malaria on two occassions as my blood is really liked by mosquitos. The mosquito- dont foget it is only the female species that is looking for your blood as she needs it to fertilize her eggs- ( I suppose that must have something to do with it?)

The mosquito homes in your exhaled CO2 and 'tests' your blood to see if its suitable . The question that comes to mind then is if 'a mosquito samples an HIV positive blood- does the mosquito get AIDS??' - or does it have an imune system?? Could the lowly mosquito be telling us something on how to cure HIV infections?

Anyway change of subject for about th 3rd time Codders , how is the tub going??

Jonathan
Old 10 March 2007, 08:50   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I thought AIDS could only be transmitted if the bug was kept warm and if it got outside a certain temperature range it died, maybe a mossie runs too cold (or too hot - try flapping your arms fast enough to make a buzz that high in pitch...)

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 09:02   #7

Haven't used the tub much lately - been full of Flu - too busy and the weather has been crap but hoping go out next week.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I thought AIDS could only be transmitted if the bug was kept warm and if it got outside a certain temperature range it died, maybe a mossie runs too cold (or too hot - try flapping your arms fast enough to make a buzz that high in pitch...)
It can survive for 24hrs or more outside a body in reasonable conditions. Remember mozzies only come out in nice warm weather as a rule!!!
Old 10 March 2007, 10:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post
Very interesting and I dont know the answer -I have suffered from Malaria on two occassions as my blood is really liked by mosquitos. The mosquito- dont foget it is only the female species that is looking for your blood as she needs it to fertilize her eggs- ( I suppose that must have something to do with it?)

The mosquito homes in your exhaled CO2 and 'tests' your blood to see if its suitable . The question that comes to mind then is if 'a mosquito samples an HIV positive blood- does the mosquito get AIDS??' - or does it have an imune system?? Could the lowly mosquito be telling us something on how to cure HIV infections?

Anyway change of subject for about th 3rd time Codders , how is the tub going??

Jonathan
Interesting thought and thought reversal on the "if they dont get it, then why not" Or else they do get it or else it doesnt matter if they get it or not but do they transmit it.
I am led to believe that their proboscus has two ducts, one to withdraw blood and the other to replace withs its own salive as in same volume to prevent being stuck by vacuume to the victim.

Again, the mossie has to make this saliva and I do not know much about Micro Biology but that can be quite a bellyfull of infected blood, if not the same weight of the mossie or more.

We are talking about mixing fluids, saliva and blood and the dirty needle syndrome. SO is infection by volume or what..

Its going to take alot of convincing for me to change my mind.
Meanwhile, there are tens of Millions dying each year from it.
Its not all from Drug addiction or sex, there has to be more to it.

There may not be much w can do about it, but if it is the case, there may be a cure in there somewhere as Jonathon mentioned.
We know that DDT does not help.

Furthermore with Increases in CO2 and the Mossie homing in, they will have to sharpen their infra red detection but the problem will get worse

Well done Ireland on Triple crown, though the bloody scots didnt give in easily...
Old 10 March 2007, 11:20   #10

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Anyway... you all will glad to hear that there is:

- an old herbal( ex chinese) remedy if you get malaria coming from a common weed and;
- there is now an effective vaccine that unfortunately is in short supply, but is syhthesied artificallly.

Aids that's another ball game ( excuse the pun Aidan - for once Ireland is a bit stonger than normal - the worst however must be Scotland being beaten by Itlay )

Aids - I do not see that there will be an effective, cheap cure. Hold on a minute , of course there is, tie a knot in it.....

Jonathan