Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
Yep Jap stuff always scares me!
But going fast in a defender which is just a bit on the agricultural side, that scares me too!
could you email me some details on who did the work on the defender, cost etc.

i have heard the td5 can be pepped up to produce 170 or 200 hp with relative ease but wanted to chat to someone that has had that done and what they think.

i know the engine in the defender is lower on power to start with for some reason

cheers
chris
Old 14 September 2005, 13:27   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Chris,

what you need is one of these, it pulls my twin axle caravan with ease (kills the Street Credibility dead though!!!), and my rib no probs, plus NO COMPANY CAR TAX (till 2007 I think) and towing weight upto 3000kgs and it's automatic. Also getting a PRO DRIVE Booster pack fitted to it in about 2 months time when it is releast giving an extra 50bhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00701_1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	14425  
Old 14 September 2005, 14:01   #23

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
could you email me some details on who did the work on the defender, cost etc.

i have heard the td5 can be pepped up to produce 170 or 200 hp with relative ease but wanted to chat to someone that has had that done and what they think.

i know the engine in the defender is lower on power to start with for some reason

cheers
chris
Remap the ECU
www.turbochip.com

Plug in box
www.tunit.co.uk
Lots more doing similar, these are the best I have found for what they do!
I'm shore Codders will have something to say about this subject
Old 14 September 2005, 16:11   #24

Town: Reading, Hants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy
what you need is one of these, it pulls my twin axle caravan with ease (kills the Street Credibility dead though!!!), and my rib no probs, plus NO COMPANY CAR TAX (till 2007 I think) and towing weight upto 3000kgs and it's automatic. Also getting a PRO DRIVE Booster pack fitted to it in about 2 months time when it is releast giving an extra 50bhp.
so what is it?

cant make it out,

what i would love is a ford f350 with 8 litre diesel engine like my mate has in the usa, now that thing does have some serious power and is an extended cab that is bigger inside then my disco and it has a flat bed you can get a car on as well...well almost....parking is the only prob....
Old 14 September 2005, 16:14   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
so what is it?
Isuzu Rodeo Denver Max, 3.0 TDi, economical considering the size of the engine, averaging 30/35mpg.
Old 14 September 2005, 17:58   #26

if you come out to your car in the morning and find the engine missing, it will be bacause i have managed to find a way of shoehorning it into the disco!

looks like a nice beast anyway and economy is certainly better than mine

will have to have a gander one day soon

chris
Old 14 September 2005, 18:20   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
A mate of mine has rammed a 6.2ltr GMC diesel in a mk3 Landy. It sounds awesome. Heaps of torque for you there Chris. MPG would not be to hot
Old 14 September 2005, 19:05   #28

no but i bet it does sound good, i can imagine that with straight thru pipes...mmmmmmmmm....
Old 14 September 2005, 19:11   #29

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
A mate of mine has rammed a 6.2ltr GMC diesel in a mk3 Landy. It sounds awesome. Heaps of torque for you there Chris. MPG would not be to hot
Actually this conversion has fallen out of favour now - it is a VERY low tech diesel - the Yanks may make great V8 petrols but as they would say "diesels suck"!!!

People talk of gutless - I drove a Pajero the other day - a 2.8 auto - now that WAS gutless - and it wallowed like an old barge - I honestly felt sick in the thing.

An Auto Discovery can feel a bit gutless UNLESS you drive it properly - use the box like a manual - most people forget that one - it save the brakes on downhill runs as well.

The reason the Defender has different power settings etc to a Discovery is intended use - the Defender has the aerodynamics of a barn door so it will NEVER be that great on the motorway - having said that my V8 110 will do 105mph on the GPS but the fuel consumption goes stupid - far better to let it sit between 60 and 80mph - 60 if I can stand it!!!
Old 14 September 2005, 19:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
An Auto Discovery can feel a bit gutless UNLESS you drive it properly - use the box like a manual - most people forget that one - it save the brakes on downhill runs as well.
Revving TD5s never sound that good down hill, would rather take my foot off the throttle and let the revs drop to idle and save on fuel and eardrums and pay for new brakes. But using it in manual dont help much except holding gears on uphill climbs to stop it shifting up and holding gears in corners, or holding a gear so if you stomp your foot down so it tears off like a scolded cat....i wish!. If i need to race around i use my car or a bike. But the disco with the boat or caravan on the back it is very lacklusture. I have started a separate thread to get peoples feedback on chipping the td5. two options out there are chip to 160 to 170 from 136 or go with chip and intercooler to get around the 200 mark, would love to drive one with that done to gauge the difference, and failing that chat to people who have had it done.

other options is to go for a 4.6 range rover with gas conversion
Old 14 September 2005, 20:53   #31

The 2.8 Mitzy engine is supposed to be a bit of a dog I've been told, the pump is problematic. To be honest my 2.5 L200 is noisy and gutless compared to the missus X5, but it's a truck, it suits my work needs and the kids love going surfing in it. Her Dad has a new Shogun which sounds and goes no better than my truck. They really need to bring those things into the 21st century. Speaking of engine braking. The X5 has an "Adaptive" gearbox, so called as it adapts to your style of driving. Dab the brakes going down hill, it kicks down and revs like hell. Not pleasant.
Old 14 September 2005, 21:31   #32

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

People talk of gutless - I drove a Pajero the other day - a 2.8 auto - now that WAS gutless -
PLEASE try a Pajero Evolution 3.5 V6 with a 5 speed Tiptonic Gearbox then tell me a Pajero is gutless. I spend many years as a MOD test driver and NOBODY was a bigger landy fan than me than I found jap 4X4's.get into the 21st century
Old 14 September 2005, 21:34   #33

Quote:
The 2.8 Mitzy engine is supposed to be a bit of a dog I've been told, the pump is problematic. To be honest my 2.5 L200 is noisy and gutless compared to the missus X5, but it's a truck, it suits my work needs and the kids love going surfing in it. Her Dad has a new Shogun which sounds and goes no better than my truck. They really need to bring those things into the 21st century. Speaking of engine braking. The X5 has an "Adaptive" gearbox, so called as it adapts to your style of driving. Dab the brakes going down hill, it kicks down and revs like hell. Not pleasant.
the x5 is a lovely car and tows well i understand but cant afford one with all the other hobbies i have. Love beemers my self, have one currently as my car and the build quality etc is brill. my shogun was a 3.5 v6 thingy which was great and reasonable power but got bored of driving it as the main car as the ride was very harsh so got the mrs a landy and i changed to a beemer. she loves the landy but i find it tough going....my beemer has an adaptive gearbox as well i think, nor sure, codders will put me right if i am our of line, it holds the gears in certain situations etc which is quite handy and will hold a gear thru corners if you are giving it a bit, will have to try the dab trick!!
Old 14 September 2005, 21:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
PLEASE try a Pajero Evolution 3.5 V6 with a 5 speed Tiptonic Gearbox then tell me a Pajero is gutless. I spend many years as a MOD test driver and NOBODY was a bigger landy fan than me than I found jap 4X4's.get into the 21st century
had a lwb 3.5 shogun for 3 years, had 4 steering racks, 2 steering boxs, 3 steering columns, numerous other bits of steering and suspension all to remove a clonk from the drivers side, thank god it was under warranty, and they never fixed it had tappits replaced, i was going to go for a evolution next but the problems i had and ride made me decide to go for comfort. have heard the 2.8s are a bit thirsty too.
Old 14 September 2005, 21:46   #35

Quote:
Agreed, but the Mitsubishi diesel is only one step on from the Fordson Major compared to the very latest diesel technology.
Old 14 September 2005, 21:53   #36

The Pajero Evolution is a totaly different beast incredably strong! but very thirsty but the performance off or on road.................
Old 14 September 2005, 21:56   #37

Quote:
The Pajero Evolution is a totaly different beast incredably strong! but very thirsty but the performance off or on road.................
The perfect tool fo the Penryn/Dakar!
Old 14 September 2005, 22:00   #38

Quote:
The perfect tool fo the Penryn/Dakar!
Old 15 September 2005, 00:44   #39

Quote:

Come off it!!! This is hardly a NORMAL Pajero!!! You may as well compare it to this!!!

And it is even more suited to the Daaker!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowler 4 (Small).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	14435  
Old 15 September 2005, 00:46   #40

And for people who don't know it is a Bowler Wildcat - based on a Land Rover and as tested on Top Gear - yours for aout £75000 and includes support for entry into the Paris Daakar - be nice for towing the RIB!!!