Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 October 2006, 12:25   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Megafast Broadband

We now have 20meg broadband from NTL - bloody hell it's quick. Just downloaded Firefox - a 5mb file - in 3 seconds - amazing or what???

NThell may treat their customers like crap but the broadband is amazing and no caps either!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 12:46   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
How much you paying for that???
__________________

__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 12:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Shh but 9.99 - should be about 30 =- they upgraded 10mb to 20mb for a trial period. Threatening to cancel works wonders.....
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 13:02   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,082
Your one of the lucky few that get the speed they should.

Im on 4mb, last few weeks its been terrible, probably because of all the other speed upgrades they are doing.
__________________
simmons0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 13:20   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
Your one of the lucky few that get the speed they should.

Im on 4mb, last few weeks its been terrible, probably because of all the other speed upgrades they are doing.
We did have some trouble a few weeks ago but not for long. We tend to do workarounds to get over some of the problems ourselves.

Is it NTL you are on?

It also helps we are very close to NTL's main tech centre - though to talk to them you have to go via New Delhi or somewhere!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 15:21   #6
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
This side of the pond

We have an optical cable B.B. connection and the limiting factor is the speed of the modem and computer I/O. Typical runs at 1000 baud. Sorry to hear that you also suffer from customer support from " non-reflective" people reading from a script. Drives us crazy. Even if you call your bank to ask about a credit card transaction you get a walla.
This service is part of a package deal that costs about 60 quid a month. Includes: cable TV( 100 channels including BBC), internet and telephone service( local calls are free) In addition we pay AT&T 7 quid a month for international service @ 2P per minute, 24/7. There is no tv Licence required over here. How does that compare for a similar set up in the UK? Thinking about moving back to the UK but not sure we can afford it; hence the ?
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 16:59   #7
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
We now have 20meg broadband from NTL - bloody hell it's quick. Just downloaded Firefox - a 5mb file - in 3 seconds - amazing or what???

NThell may treat their customers like crap but the broadband is amazing and no caps either!!!
Git. That's more than double the entire internet connection bandwidth into the Falklands....
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 17:38   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Git. That's more than double the entire internet connection bandwidth into the Falklands....
I know - mad isn't it???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 17:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
We have an optical cable B.B. connection and the limiting factor is the speed of the modem and computer I/O. Typical runs at 1000 baud. Sorry to hear that you also suffer from customer support from " non-reflective" people reading from a script. Drives us crazy. Even if you call your bank to ask about a credit card transaction you get a walla.
This service is part of a package deal that costs about 60 quid a month. Includes: cable TV( 100 channels including BBC), internet and telephone service( local calls are free) In addition we pay AT&T 7 quid a month for international service @ 2P per minute, 24/7. There is no tv Licence required over here. How does that compare for a similar set up in the UK? Thinking about moving back to the UK but not sure we can afford it; hence the ?
1000 Baud - what you using - tin cans and a bit of string???

Speed is nothing without good bandwidth as well - my home connection is now outpermorming many businesses we go to who have leased lines and fibreoptic connections!!!

Prices sound about the same as the UK - prices here have plummeted over the years. We get free phone calls to landlines all over the UK and there are all sorts of international deals as well.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 18:45   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
... Just downloaded Firefox ...
Have you tried SeaMonkey? If so, what do you reckon?
__________________

__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.