Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 12 April 2010, 18:42   #1
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,345
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Marital Advice

I'm not sure why I thought of this just now... something I read her tweaked my memory.

I am posting this in case any of you young blokes (see, I'm trying to speak proper Inglitch...) might find it useful...

Many years ago, I was living in sin with a girlfriend. After many months, she announced one night that we should get married. Being a youngster, and carefree, I didn't really see the point.

I must tell you that sometime during the previous year, she and I had jointly purchased a little 12.5' SIB with a 25 HP engine, which we used for diving and camping. Specifically, I bought the boat, and she bought the engine.

Anyway, back to my main point...

I resisted the suggestion to get married, and so she advised that she felt if I didn't want to marry her, then perhaps she should move back to her own place. I responded with something like "Well you gotta do what you gotta do..." and resigned myself to a cold bed again.

Then she added that she was going to take "her" engine with her!

So, of course, I reconsidered my options and within six months we married.

So three kids, four boats and many years later, we happily divorced.

While contemplating my future with a very good diving friend, he pretty much said I was an idiot for marrying her (something I disagreed with incidentally) but added this sage comment...

"You stupid ass, you always could have rowed the boat, but she would've had a Hell of a time swimming with the motor!"...

So the moral of this for all of you young men (and women, I suppose)... don't be talked into a marriage before you are ready, but if you are, and it all goes to Hell in a Hand-basket, make sure you keep the boat, and not the engine!
__________________

__________________
Pump it up and RIDE!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 01:52   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I'm not sure why I thought of this just now... something I read her tweaked my memory.

I am posting this in case any of you young blokes (see, I'm trying to speak proper Inglitch...) might find it useful...

Many years ago, I was living in sin with a girlfriend. After many months, she announced one night that we should get married. Being a youngster, and carefree, I didn't really see the point.

I must tell you that sometime during the previous year, she and I had jointly purchased a little 12.5' SIB with a 25 HP engine, which we used for diving and camping. Specifically, I bought the boat, and she bought the engine.

Anyway, back to my main point...

I resisted the suggestion to get married, and so she advised that she felt if I didn't want to marry her, then perhaps she should move back to her own place. I responded with something like "Well you gotta do what you gotta do..." and resigned myself to a cold bed again.

Then she added that she was going to take "her" engine with her!

So, of course, I reconsidered my options and within six months we married.

So three kids, four boats and many years later, we happily divorced.

While contemplating my future with a very good diving friend, he pretty much said I was an idiot for marrying her (something I disagreed with incidentally) but added this sage comment...

"You stupid ass, you always could have rowed the boat, but she would've had a Hell of a time swimming with the motor!"...

So the moral of this for all of you young men (and women, I suppose)... don't be talked into a marriage before you are ready, but if you are, and it all goes to Hell in a Hand-basket, make sure you keep the boat, and not the engine!
All three items were replaceable.!!!
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 03:10   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
So three kids, four boats and many years later, we happily divorced.
Not the most recent Mrs Stoo I trust?

I blame Ribnet for a lot of marital discord. Mine is forever grumbling about it: "what are you doing on the bl**dy ribthing again?, come into the sitting room, I need to talk to you about X,Y,Z, whatever..."

I explain to her that given my choice of either enduring more bitching, whining, grumbling, complaining, belittling, sniping and pettiness or talking to her, - I'll stick with Ribnet.

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 08:15   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I explain to her that given my choice of either administering more bitching, whining, grumbling, complaining, belittling, sniping and pettiness or talking to her, - I'll stick with Ribnet.
Fixed
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 08:30   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I've decided to Come Out on Ribnet
This could end up like those Political Interviews where the Interviewer asks one question and the Politician almost answers an entirely different one.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 09:15   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This could end up like those Political Interviews where the Interviewer asks one question and the Politician almost answers an entirely different one.
So you've seen him in the mask
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 09:24   #7
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Was ribnet useage quoted in the divorce proceedings?

I reckon my other half would likely raise it.

Though i would counter with, "It may be pointless to you but watching "prancing on ice" or "Y factor" or "Britain's got not talent" is actually detrimental to my health through stress levels!"

I may be sat next to her in body, but in mind i am far away from the wide screen. Even after being told to put the laptop down, i use the iphone on my knee. I cant last more than 5 mins of reality/voting tv.

P.S. Boat is in my old man's name. It's going nowhere.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 11:52   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This could end up like those Political Interviews where the Interviewer asks one question and the Politician almost answers an entirely different one.
You mean that's not the way it's supposed to work???

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 18:02   #9
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Mine is forever grumbling about it: "what are you doing on the bl**dy ribthing again?, come into the sitting room, I need to talk to you about X,Y,Z, whatever..."
Tell me about it
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 17:39   #10
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I blame Ribnet for a lot of marital discord.
I found this here www.bbc.co.uk/news/rib.net and ... I quote

"NAMED, SHAMED & BLAMED .. boating forum owner admits his website is to blame for marital disharmony"

"A Spokesman for the site, a MR John K**n*tt whom we have pixilated out for his own protection has blamed the site owner, who he says is known locally as 'Polwart' .. for intervening in a large number of matrimonial disputes and causing general unrest by "citing both sides of the argument, and generally sitting on the fence without providing a conclusive solution" Earlier today our boating correspondant GarF Eee was unintelligably available for comment "

OMG!
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.