Old 17 October 2012, 19:58   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Marine Biology, Ecology, Oceanography.

My Eldest is 16 and taking his GCSEs at the end of this school year with a view to 6th form, University, and a career in Marine Biology, Marine Ecology or Oceanography.

After his exams this summer he wants/needs to do some work experience, which the school starts arranging now.
Despite the connections they have in local business circles, and the crippling amount of cash we bung them every term, they are at a complete loss to help him with experience that will be relevant to his chosen path, have admitted defeat and asked if we can help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know any companies or organisations local to Portsmouth that we could start working on?
Or indeed is anyone on here involved in anything relevant and would be able to accommodate him for a week in July or even longer during the summer?

Obviously I’m going to say he’s a sensible mature lad(not at all like me then), that likes being outdoors, knows how to look after himself, enjoys his cadet force activities, is learning to dive etc.

So far we’re looking at The blue reef aquarium on Southsea seafront, Marwell zoo etc, but we know somewhere like that is just going to stick him on a till in the shop or have him shovelling you know what.

He really wants the experience to be relevant, fulfilling, and help him narrow down what he wants to do a bit more, so we’d appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 17 October 2012, 20:09   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Have a chat with the Uni's in your area, their research depts., are usually really cooperative and welcome any volunteer work that is properly targeted and where they can see that it will be an investment rather than filling a hole. It will also build relationships between your boy and the relevant college for future grad work. Speak to their postgrad tutors, research fellows and college PR dept. Also do not forget to get in touch with HR at the colleges as this is the way many volunteers get in touch with sponsors for future disciplines/ degrees.
Try the Naval colleges too. They will fall over themselves to get eager and genuine volunteers on their career path.
The local authorities will also have a very active marine bio/eco volunteer interest. All from gathering data to clearing banks to sampling pollutants.
Try local petrochemical companies too......the simply lap up potential graduates........and sponsor them through college too.
Don't underestimate Environmental Charities either.....many are very well funded.
Old 17 October 2012, 20:19   #3

All good stuff

Thanks.
Old 18 October 2012, 06:44   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Hi Simon,

think the 'Uni' suggestion is an excellent one, but I will also be speaking with a couple of clients today who I will ask re the possibility of work experience etc..... Both are national so may have something local to you..... will PM you.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 06:53   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Try National Trust sites, volunteer work. I did that with an Environmental science degree undertaking an assessment for them whilst helping on a site for 6 months.
Old 18 October 2012, 06:58   #6

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
Southampton Uni has an oceanography department and whole facility in dock gate 4 in Southampton. Might be worth contacting them....
Old 18 October 2012, 10:22   #7

Thanks all, your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Dan
Many thanks for what you are doing, I’ll be in touch later when there is less chance of our MD coming in the office to see me.

Butty

Southampton is on his shortlist, we’ve done the half day ‘taster’ on their research vessel out on the Solent which made him even more keen, I enjoyed it too.
We asked at the time about Work experience, but they tend to keep any positions available to students who’ve just done their A levels and are starting at the uni that summer.

Unfortunately Southampton is also a bugger of a place for a 16yr old to get to every day from Clanfield where we live without lots of help.
Portsmouth is so much easier.

I’ve called Portsmouth uni this morning and am awaiting a call back, although they don’t do the courses he wants.
National trust will get a call when I get 5 mins later.

Nasher
Old 18 October 2012, 11:55   #8

Town: Southampton
Length: 5m +
Hi Nasher,

National Oceanography Centre | from coast to deep ocean these would be worth a try, but like you say getting there is a bit of a problem. I am in Swanmore and had the same problems when i was younger.

Andy
Old 18 October 2012, 12:28   #9

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Try EMU Limited. They are a survey company doing a lot of Hydrographic stuff at the moment but they may still be doing environmental sampling etc.

Offices in Durley, Trafalgar Wharf and lab in Hayling iirc
Old 18 October 2012, 13:23   #10

Length: no boat
I work at the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton. If you want any info, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Gerry
Old 18 October 2012, 13:37   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Simon, Portsmouth Uni have half decent marine biology department at Eastney. (Nothing compared to Southampton!). A friend of mine did marine biology there; I'll ask if he has any contacts there.
Old 18 October 2012, 16:12   #12

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Our company secretary is one of the worlds foremost marine biologists, I reckon she knows everyone, so if you continue to be stuck drop me a reminder and I will ask if she knows someone close to you.
Old 18 October 2012, 17:36   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Try the Environment Agency.

Email enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk and ask for the email address of the local Environment Manager to you.

Get your youngster so send an email to them asking for work experience and they should be able to help you.

Chris
Old 20 October 2012, 09:31   #14

All

Many thanks for all your help.

I'll be in touch individually with one or two of you I'm sure, but in the mean time He's a few email and letters to put together.

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 20 October 2012, 14:36   #15

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
You should not discount any Uni too early as if your boy can get work experience over the Summer holidays he could possibly stay in a Hall of Residence.