Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
MAIB Report on Tug Endurance

This is tragic in the true sense of the word.

No-one emerges with any credit. The really alarming issue for me is the 'safeguards' that are supposedly in place to minimise the chaces of situations like this occuring in this day and age were found to be completely useless.

The 'professionals' in the form of the surveyor, Surveying Authority, Port Authorites and Licensing Authorities were all found to be desperately lacking and it's very difficult to comprehend how an unqualified, unlicensed owner/skipper/boat/tow could travel amongst some of the most populated and policed waters in the UK almost with impunity.
Old 05 June 2014, 15:32   #2

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
That is a sobering read.
Old 12 June 2014, 20:28   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Awful practice

i'd be very surprised if the Tugs insurance company accepted liability for compensation based on the negligence of the Skipper and the unauthorised use of the Tug.

Sadly they didn't have a clue about towing and I suspect this was a cash job for a vessel that wasn't worth insuring for the passage. If the tow had been insured you can bet your arse the insurance companies surveyor would not have permitted the passage without severe weather restrictions, suitable towing lines, tow plan and emergency tow lines in place.

I suspect there was no demurrage arrangements either or they'd have been heaved to as soon as they got the line on to the tow

It's shame that that guy died because they didn't have the knowledge to rig an emergency tow and I'd be surprised if he was on any more than 70 quid a day.

I'm obviously very sorry when someone dies at sea but this guy didn't give himself a fighting chance. You dont jump with the tow line you throw a heaving line onto your target vessel before you transfer yourself

Tugging is dangerous work at the best of times but this was just Russian Roulette
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote