Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 March 2006, 18:16   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
I know this stretch of water well, the big mistake was to "cut" the corner on the castle side. Lights and alcohol aside, if they'd come out of the middle of the Percuil and then lined up for Falmouth the chances of a collision would have been miniscule. Cutting the corner under the castle was effectively driving around a blind bend. Also, at night there is a huge amount of ambient light given off over Falmouth and the Docks so spotting anything unlit and small in the water is very difficult. There was another similar situation in the same stretch of water a couple of weeks later, fortunately the outcome was not fatal.
The water taxi colided with an unlit fishing boat which sank on falmouth week fireworks night as well (or is that what you were referring too) I still say lights LIGHTS LIGHTS - you are f**king not all there if you go out at night without them... and in my opinion deserve to have your boat sunk !!!
__________________

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2006, 18:37   #42
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
... and in my opinion deserve to have your boat sunk !!!
A bit harsh!
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2006, 19:11   #43
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
A bit harsh!
You wouldn't be thinking that if someone had just taken off using your tubes as a ramp and his prop had decapitated a family member.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2006, 19:16   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
.. and in my opinion deserve to have your boat sunk !!!
Sounds about right.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 04:05   #45
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
The water taxi colided with an unlit fishing boat which sank on falmouth week fireworks night as well (or is that what you were referring too) I still say lights LIGHTS LIGHTS - you are f**king not all there if you go out at night without them... and in my opinion deserve to have your boat sunk !!!
I totally agree, but in the St.Mawes incident there were other factors which resulted in the collision, primarily cutting the corner in my mind. The thing that I find most shocking was the fact that these guys were local, experienced boatmen. Not clueless 2nd hand car dealers out in their 1st boat.
__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 08:36   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Before we digressed to talking about lights we were talking about drink boating which I think is an important issue.

The MAIB placed greater emphasised in their conclusions on alcohol than they did on using lights and knowledge of the COLREGS both of which were far more instrumental in this accident.

If I were paranoid I would jump to the conclusion that this is a government conspiracy to further control generally law abiding people Not being paranoid (well maybe not) I think it is another example of PC thinking, drink kills, speed kills, cars kill etc and I worry where it will end.

Once those in authority start to control something the more and more control they will try to exert, no drinking, compulsory life jackets, boat MOTís, driving licences, driving tests, sea (road) fund licence, seat belts, mirrors Des
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 08:45   #47
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
I think you will have to accept that its coming - its only a matter of time before these kind of restrictions exist. With more and more people having disposable income and more and more people taking to recreation on the water there are going to be more accidents and that will be followed by more regulations.

The only thing we can hope for is that it doesn't get too much of an inconvenience to our current way of life.

But in all honesty I would have no problem with boat MOT's and compulsory training (ie a level 2) not overly keen on compulsory life jackets but that's just my own personal taste i like to reserve my life jacket for when I'm pushing the envelope - not pottering around in an estuary with the kids.

The other thing you have to consider is the ability to police such regulations - un-enforcable rules are pointless - the ocean is a very big place.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 09:07   #48
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Before we digressed to talking about lights we were talking about drink boating which I think is an important issue.

The MAIB placed greater emphasised in their conclusions on alcohol than they did on using lights and knowledge of the COLREGS both of which were far more instrumental in this accident.

If I were paranoid I would jump to the conclusion that this is a government conspiracy to further control generally law abiding people Not being paranoid (well maybe not) I think it is another example of PC thinking, drink kills, speed kills, cars kill etc and I worry where it will end.

Once those in authority start to control something the more and more control they will try to exert, no drinking, compulsory life jackets, boat MOTís, driving licences, driving tests, sea (road) fund licence, seat belts, mirrors Des

Bloody hell I am in TOTAL agreement!!!

I don't smoke or drink but if there is one thing I REALLY hate it is this government BANNING things.

I mean - smoking in pubs/clubs - I detest smoking but as the majority of people in pubs/clubs smoke then let them.

It's like with drugs - I reckon they should legalise the lot. If the little shits could buy their heroin in Tesco it would come down to the same price as a bag of sugar - you never hear of anyone stealing to fund their sugar addiction do you??? Drug related crime would cease overnight and with a bit of luck all the druggies would overdose so much they would die and stop sponging off the state!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 09:38   #49
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Id rather my kids couldn't go into Morrison's and buy a 2kg bag of smack thank you.

I too hate restrictions on my life but at the same time if a law or regulation is just enforcing common senses it shouldn't really affect those who are sensible anyway.

Unfortunately this is not often the case and they do go too far. But it will be a better man than any of us who can confidently stand there and say for sure what is definitely right and wrong.

For now I thank my lucky stars its not codprawn who gets to make those decisions...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 09:48   #50
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Id rather my kids couldn't go into Morrison's and buy a 2kg bag of smack thank you.

I too hate restrictions on my life but at the same time if a law or regulation is just enforcing common senses it shouldn't really affect those who are sensible anyway.

Unfortunately this is not often the case and they do go too far. But it will be a better man than any of us who can confidently stand there and say for sure what is definitely right and wrong.

For now I thank my lucky stars its not codprawn who gets to make those decisions...
Well I would have thought you would have brought your kids up to avoid such things? I was offered drugs when I was about 8 or 9 and I had the sense to say no!!!

Maybe on sale in Tesco openly is stretching things a bit but do you realise heroin was LEGALLY available in Britain until about 1950? When they banned it there were only just over 300 registered drug addicts in the whole of the UK - how many are there now???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4647018.stm

Look what happened with prohibition in the US - al Capone and his cronies would never have been able to compete if they had Tesco over there selling booze!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.