Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ

The video shows people being shot at and blown up. Do you really find this kind of thing entertaining?
I agree but you don't actually see any dead bodys. On 6 o clock news it is now common to be shown dead bodys while eating your tea.
Old 26 October 2012, 12:38   #23

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Sorry Tomas but after reading the article....i still say Bollox ....

In the early nineties, i underwent an "anti-piracy" training course where i learned how to protect/defend our ships (I worked on large crude oil tankers back then) The threat wasnt percieved to be Somali waters but various parts of Malaysia, Indonesia and the South China Sea. West Africa was also becoming a hotspot to watch for back then.
The course never focused on the fact that we would be dealing with disgruntled fishermen but clearly identified them as simple water-based thugs (toting AK47's)
Incidentally, the course was run by the RN so the information did carry a certain amout of credibility.

Various nationality fishing vessels have fished pretty much all of the African coastline for years yet many other coastal African nations havn't resorted to piracy?

I think its more likely that, after the Somali government was overturned in the early 90's, a lawless state was born and prevailed thereafter.
What we dont hear about is the pilageing and rapeing that goes on on the mainland of Somali as a direct relut of the this lawless state.
We hear about the water based version termed "Piracy" because it effects us directly through attacks on our ships but the same sort of behaviour takes place on land yet it goes largely unspoken about.

I believe the fishermen have just followed the rest of the Somali poulation only they have carried it over to the domain they know best... the sea.

Simon
Old 26 October 2012, 13:07   #24

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
The bottom line is that these countries hold little value to human life, either their own or others to the reward far out weighs the risk so it will carry on.

I don't sympathise with them at all, but I do think that there are too many massive european ships fishing in the indian ocean with the means that enable them to wipe out entire shoals leaving less and less for the surrounding countries. I'm no tree hugger but I've dived there alot and spoken to many locals about the problem and until something is done more and more people will turn to other ways to survive.
Old 26 October 2012, 14:14   #25

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I'm fairly certain that standing orders on NATO ships prevent them firing on any manned boat unless fired upon - I would imagine that in 98% of cases a couple of warning shots from a warship would make a Somali crew want to give up - those boats that are destroyed would therefore have been devoid of life and just being sunk so as to prevent their use.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2012, 19:05   #26

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Hostage couple to face Somali pirates - Crime & Courts | IOL News | IOL.co.za
Old 26 October 2012, 19:13   #27

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Those people (and I use the term loosely) kidnap people got ransom, and off them if they don't get it. Live by violence, die by violence. Okay in my book.
I agree and what about the afghan lot that push there kids in front of army vehicles to get compo
Old 26 October 2012, 19:19   #28

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
If I were on a yacht or merchant ship in the area & a gang of people armed with AK47's, machete's & RPG's were on the verge of attacking me & holding me for months/years or killed and the navy of whatever flag turned up & dealt with them by whatever means I'd be happy !!!
These people are pirates & have no right to be given any consideration.The only reason they're out there is to board other people.
You see the slight little issue here ( and this is why our defence system is civilised ) is that you are on the boat as well. You may have been jammed below deck and taped up. I don't think that you'd be praying for that firepower to be unleashed before being boarded by the "rescuers" and rescued.

On another note, do fishermen turn to piracy? Doubt it. Most of the traffic by Somalia is tanker and container.......hardly overfished. Piracy is simply terrorism. Can't imagine North Sea fishermen boarding tankers with AK's....though it did get close, but that WAS a fishing gripe. And homes in North Wales did get burned. French truckers aren't opposed to squaring up either.
Old 26 October 2012, 20:10   #29

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
French truckers aren't opposed to squaring up either.

Simon