Old 01 August 2015, 21:12   #1

Length: 3m +
Life jacket advice please

I recently bought 2 seago automatic gas lifejackets second hand, which arrived and looked great (hardly any marks or signs of use etc).

So i decided to manualy blow them up using the mouth-piece and check that they hold air..... And here lies the problem.
They blow up solid and look fine, but within about an hour you can tell the lungs are not as firm and by morning they were completely deflated

Is there any way of repairing/sealing these?
Thanks
Old 01 August 2015, 22:02   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I think that's fairly standard we had one go off in a damp locker & it was flat when we found it
I haven't tried inflating one for a long period but I suspect that's why they have the manual tubes for topping up
Unless someone knows better of course but it wouldn't worry me unduly
Old 01 August 2015, 22:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I think that's fairly standard we had one go off in a damp locker & it was flat when we found it
I haven't tried inflating one for a long period but I suspect that's why they have the manual tubes for topping up
Unless someone knows better of course but it wouldn't worry me unduly
To be honest, this is what I was thinking. Im only going to be using them inshore and on inland waters, certainly wouldn't be in the water for an hour plus! I probably wouldnt have thought it as a problem if I hadn't have seen in the instruction booklet it says to manually inflate and leave overnight to check.
Lets face it, if someone goes overboard the jacket is there to keep them afloat while I finish laughing and drag them back into the boat
If i was going out to sea I would be more concerned.
Im interested to know whether general concensus agrees with this or whether I should be looking at changing them
Thanks
Old 01 August 2015, 22:14   #4

i've only ever had one go off, left it on deck of boat while hosing it down..doh.

it stayed solid for 2 days until i took it to the chandlers for a service.

i have no experience other than this single time.

it was a KRU jacket if that makes any difference.

cheers
Old 01 August 2015, 22:34   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzdid View Post
To be honest, this is what I was thinking. Im only going to be using them inshore and on inland waters, certainly wouldn't be in the water for an hour plus! I probably wouldnt have thought it as a problem if I hadn't have seen in the instruction booklet it says to manually inflate and leave overnight to check.
Lets face it, if someone goes overboard the jacket is there to keep them afloat while I finish laughing and drag them back into the boat
If i was going out to sea I would be more concerned.
Im interested to know whether general consensus agrees with this or whether I should be looking at changing them
Thanks
Should stay up more than an hour - whilst your description probably covers 99% of your likely use its certainly not everyones and even on inland water you might be surprised how long you need it for if something goes really badly wrong (like you all end up in the water).

General advice is not to use mouth when inflating to stop bacteria and moisture getting in (use a small pump instead). Any moisture will be particularly temperature sensitive and like tubes they will vary with temperature.
Old 01 August 2015, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Should stay up more than an hour - whilst your description probably covers 99% of your likely use its certainly not everyones and even on inland water you might be surprised how long you need it for if something goes really badly wrong (like you all end up in the water).

General advice is not to use mouth when inflating to stop bacteria and moisture getting in (use a small pump instead). Any moisture will be particularly temperature sensitive and like tubes they will vary with temperature.
Ah good point about inflating by mouth thanks poly!
After an hour you could see a slight difference, the lungs were not quite as solid. It actually went down overnight, not sure exactly how many hours it took as i was in bed, maybe i should inflate when im off work and check hourly.
Might be an idea to replace in the near future. Makes you wonder when you see adverts for them that state 'never been inflated', whether they hold pressure.
Old 02 August 2015, 09:13   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The "service test" for a gas inflation LJ is 24hrs inflated. Your's fails.
That said, I'd be even more concerned about the inflation mechanism and CO2 cylinder. Is the mechanism in date and have you weighed the cylinder?

There was a recall on Seago lifejackets quite a few years ago:
Product: Seago 150, Seago 175 and Seago Junior Lifejackets
Personal protective equipment
Brand: Seago
Code: 6307200000
Risk: Drowning

A slow leak could be around a valve. Or it could be a seam beginning to open up....

Old 02 August 2015, 09:37   #8

Thanks willk i will have a look to see whether mine were recalled. I wonder whether seago would repair/replace if so?
I would definitely be replacing the firing mechanism and cylinder anyway. I was going to use the existing one to jump in the drink and try it out. Unless this is not advised?
Partly because i want to demonstrate to the family for their own confidence, partly because im curious to see one in action myself, and yes partly because I am a big child when it comes to these things :-D
Old 02 August 2015, 09:41   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The cylinders can be reused, so an extra expense if you fire one. If it's rusty it's past it's best. They have a weight stamped on them, if they are that weight then they are still full and OK. I'm sure Seago will still honour a recall.
Old 03 August 2015, 21:54   #10

Inflate as poly says with a pump. Then apply soapy water to all seams, inflation valve and its seams and the cylinder valve (keep the water sensor dry!). Look for bubbles.

As others have said 24hours is your aim. Remember if you were unconscious you can't top up manually.

Don't dual inflate. So if mouth inflated don't pull the cord!

Loose cylinders are a common issue...