Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 February 2009, 13:43   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
You can argue the it's harmful and costs us money so we should ban or restrict many activities that sometimes require treatment, rescue or policing. This could include boating, diving and surfing just to mention a few relevant ones to us lot.
It also could be extended to drinkers, cake eaters, people that eat fish and chips etc etc etc.
While I suspect smoking would be classed as a class B drug if introduced today to the UK I would defend the right of smokers to smoke as long as the harm they are doing is only to themselves (while I also think they are insane doing so)
I think making it more expensive and antisocial is the way to go and it will eventually die out, banning it is not the governments job as that way lies more regulation banning and restricting more and more minority activities that the majority don't like because they don't understand or believe the scare stories in the media.
Remember the calls for charging for rescue after "Captain Calamities" multiple rescues? He was a very small minority of one but the public started listening to the media whipping up demands for rescue charges, qualifications, essential equipment etc etc.
__________________

__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 16:59   #12
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
You can argue the it's harmful and costs us money so we should ban or restrict many activities that sometimes require treatment, rescue or policing. This could include boating, diving and surfing just to mention a few relevant ones to us lot.
It also could be extended to drinkers, cake eaters, people that eat fish and chips etc etc etc.
While I suspect smoking would be classed as a class B drug if introduced today to the UK I would defend the right of smokers to smoke as long as the harm they are doing is only to themselves (while I also think they are insane doing so)
I think making it more expensive and antisocial is the way to go and it will eventually die out, banning it is not the governments job as that way lies more regulation banning and restricting more and more minority activities that the majority don't like because they don't understand or believe the scare stories in the media.
Remember the calls for charging for rescue after "Captain Calamities" multiple rescues? He was a very small minority of one but the public started listening to the media whipping up demands for rescue charges, qualifications, essential equipment etc etc.
So what do you do for personal pleasure or relaxation Bruce.. are you suggesting that a smoke or a drink is now out dated .. or that the method of either is coming to an end.. and if it is .. how will we relax if so ? since many would argue that .. as a dying man used to say it was their final pleasure ?
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 17:08   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
I am not advocating that they ban or restrict but there has been a campaign for many years to reduce smoking in particular by pointing out the dangers and making it a less sociable habit to have. What I am saying is that the reasoning for a ban on something can be extended to all sorts of things as above, its not a route I would be happy going down.
While I would defend the right of people to smoke if they so wished I cannot say, and I suspect most smokers would agree privately, that ultimately it is an unhealthy habit that should be discouraged so that it eventually dies out.
Would you as a smoker be happy if your kids started?
Personally I have never tried smoking, always thought it was crazy
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 17:36   #14
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I am not advocating that they ban or restrict but there has been a campaign for many years to reduce smoking in particular by pointing out the dangers and making it a less sociable habit to have. What I am saying is that the reasoning for a ban on something can be extended to all sorts of things as above, its not a route I would be happy going down.
While I would defend the right of people to smoke if they so wished I cannot say, and I suspect most smokers would agree privately, that ultimately it is an unhealthy habit that should be discouraged so that it eventually dies out.
Would you as a smoker be happy if your kids started?
Personally I have never tried smoking, always thought it was crazy
I agree it is an unhealthy habit .. my wife smokes and I hate it and I wouldn't like my kids to do so either , but an odd cigar is a pleasant aromatic experience which I am now devoid of enjoying in any public establishment

where do you draw the line ?

Funny how non smokers love cigar smoke smell, but cigar smokers hate cigarett smoke smell ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 18:06   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
I am quite happy with the current situation. I can go anywhere in public and not be have to breathe in smoke. What folk do in non public places and their own homes is up to them.
Cigars admittedly are far less "acrid" a smell but they are just as unhealthy.......
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 05:46   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
Incidentally what a lot of folk are missing in the new legislation is that is not actually aimed at the people in pubs that smoke. It is mainly to satisfy H&S legislation for the people that work in the pubs and clubs.
The pub and club ban is mainly to protect them from the effects of smoke in the same way someone in a factory is protected from fumes and chemicals from the work processes at their workplace.
Its quite possible to have a pub or club that is for smokers only but obviously the "volunteering" part of going there does not apply to staff.
You also cannot discriminate against non smokers when hiring for smokers pubs and clubs as
1. what if they quit at some point and
2. Ordinary Firms could then discriminate against smokers when they hire and only take non smokers, for various reasons this could become very widespread if allowed.
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 15:44   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
What would have been wrong with extractor fans???
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 16:41   #18
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
You also cannot discriminate against non smokers when hiring for smokers pubs and clubs as
1. what if they quit at some point and
2. Ordinary Firms could then discriminate against smokers when they hire and only take non smokers, for various reasons this could become very widespread if allowed.
agreed ...the oil companies i beleive were looking at it .......one of the few places you can still smoke apart from the scottish parliment ....
being a heavy smoker i actually enjoy going out for a meal in the clean air......weird

I
__________________
my other toy has T*TS
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 17:19   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What would have been wrong with extractor fans???
Been tried, doesn't work for various reasons including the fact that they are switched off regularly because of the noise and the draughts plus someone still has to maintain the equipment. You really don't want to know is like after a little use. The tar is disgusting inside and highly carceogenic.
Old folks homes, prisons and mental hospitals are all exempt from the legislation as well.
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 17:40   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
one of the few places you can still smoke apart from the scottish parliment
? where can you smoke in the parliament building?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.