Old 17 December 2012, 03:31   #31

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I actually recommend to people not to use the switch built into the router but use a reliable standalone switch instead. You will still need to link one port of the switch to the router.

This makes the network more robust and often much faster. The switch will effectively isolate high speed devices from the router which often do not run at full network speed.

If you use say an 8 (16 and 24 or more ports versions are also available) port gigabit switch instead of the 4 ports (often not gigabit) on the router, you will have 7 high speed ports available which is important if you transfer large amounts of data around the network such as for network storage ie audio/visual servers.

The other thing with switches is that they can be easily cascaded to provide more ports where you need them, ie near a PC or behind the TV where you may have TV, bluray, game consoles, music etc all connected.

Old 17 December 2012, 07:24   #32

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
What a great community we have on RIBnet!

OK guys thanks, for your help! I understand that all I need is a switch. I just needed to know in layman's terms what the different bits and pieces did so that i didn't buy the wrong part.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2012, 20:28   #33

On your advice I bought and have installed an 8 port Gigabit switch. What a difference! Sped up my whole network including internet traffic too.

I can upload and download/stream video, photo's and music between all my devices including an iPhone and an Android.

All I need to complete my system is the AV receiver with network facilities so that I can get internet radio and I'm complete!

Anyone use a Denon AV receiver? If not I'm going to play safe and buy a Yamaha.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 December 2012, 03:15   #34

Glad that sorted you although surprised the Internet traffic was much quicker - there was possibly something else going on with the router too or it simply feels faster because everything has been sped up.
Old 24 December 2012, 04:12   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
although surprised the Internet traffic was much quicker -.
Well he used wireless a lot IIRC .. if the router is a 'G' on the wireless side, that will only be transferring data at 54 Mbit max.. where the switch will be operating at 100Mbit most likely, and I would assume the ports on the router would run at 100 also so that would explain it. Wirless 'N' can go much faster however.
Old 24 December 2012, 04:53   #36

I only use wireless for the TV and phones. The two desk tops are hard wired and are the mainstay of the household, it's these that are faster. I play a few online games and all of a sudden I've either got really good or the connection speed has increased because I'm on fire and whipping ass.

When I get a couple of RJ45 leads delivered I'll hard wire the TV and the AV amp (when I get it).

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 December 2012, 05:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Well he used wireless a lot IIRC .. if the router is a 'G' on the wireless side, that will only be transferring data at 54 Mbit max.. where the switch will be operating at 100Mbit most likely, and I would assume the ports on the router would run at 100 also so that would explain it. Wirless 'N' can go much faster however.
Most internet connections are generally still far slower than wireless and still typically remains the bottleneck. There are exceptions of course.
Old 26 December 2012, 10:51   #38

Update

Just to update this thread. I purchased a Denon AVR2113 AV receiver this morning. I was looking at all the usual contenders. Pioneer, Onkyo's and Yamaha's as well, but decided to go for the Denon because it was such better value for money once the price point came down from what they were selling them for.

Looks Slow but is Fast