Old 24 August 2014, 06:00   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Erm. Most bigger ribs have a shelf in the console above the flooded waterline so if you stuff, they're fine..... (Roll eyes)

Don't mean to be antagonistic. I thought most were like this, those I've seen are. Ribquest/ribcraft/Humber etc if 6m or more.

Re keys, fair point but I wouldn't leave keys with "staff" for exactly that reason.

And the tea some shouldn't "delaminate" at all.
They also did the same thing recently with an inboard powered boat
Try getting those electrics out of the flood area !!!

Old 24 August 2014, 06:04   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I would say that liability should be with the company that did the damage, you wouldn't expect to sort out yourself if your car was parked in a car park and the attendant damaged it
But cars are usually insured on a "named driver" basis and boats are (usually) insured for anyone. But even if the car park valet did damage your car it might be easier to claim from your own comprehensive policy and let them cross claim from the idiot responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberpaul
Re keys, fair point but I wouldn't leave keys with "staff" for exactly that reason.
so you can't use the service where the staff launch and recover your boat - so its pointless to comment on whether you think they are doing it right (or with the right steps to fix things when it goes wrong) if you think the concept is crazy.
Old 24 August 2014, 10:01   #23
Trade member

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
As a dry stack owner, I'm obviously interested in this thread. If you business is moving boats around and launching/recovering them, the law of averages says that even with well trained staff and proper procedures,mistakes can be made. That's why we carry adequate and very expensive insurance. To me, if you damage a boat in the course of business, you "put your hands up", apologise, learn from it so it doesn't happen again, but most importantly put it right at your expense. I don,'t know the full details of this case, but it seems that whatever the legal liabilities, this hasn't been handled very well.
Regards
Steve
Old 24 August 2014, 15:33   #24

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
The other issue businesses need to have in mind is their online reputation. Its easy to google a name and read threads like this.

So regardless of the ins and outs of insurance - they have created a poor reputation for themselves.
Old 24 August 2014, 15:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
As a dry stack owner, I'm obviously interested in this thread. If you business is moving boats around and launching/recovering them, the law of averages says that even with well trained staff and proper procedures,mistakes can be made. That's why we carry adequate and very expensive insurance. To me, if you damage a boat in the course of business, you "put your hands up", apologise, learn from it so it doesn't happen again, but most importantly put it right at your expense. I don,'t know the full details of this case, but it seems that whatever the legal liabilities, this hasn't been handled very well.
Regards
Steve
Thanks for your input I totally agree with what you say & I'm glad all marina operators don't operate in the same manner
Part of the reason for the entire thread is to make sure I wouldn't be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if I moved my boat
And also to see if anyone else had bad experience with largs which obviously they have
It's such a shame as it's an excellent spot to boat from
Thanks to every one else who have posted hopefully more people will come forward with experiences good or bad
Old 24 August 2014, 16:09   #26

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
And also to see if anyone else had bad experience with largs which obviously they have
I Agree .. they are very complacent I think

I had a look at the terms and conditions of the berthing .. theres a clear paragraph about their resonsibility for security, so any lack of that is a breach of their own conditions. Sadly, negligence is a harder matter to prove, although it shouldnt be.

Its the small things though .. even recently I used DDZ for something, and my boat came back with a well bent jockey wheel on the trailer.. I never even mentioned it as I knew there would be no point
Old 24 August 2014, 16:20   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Thanks for your input I totally agree with what you say & I'm glad all marina operators don't operate in the same manner
Part of the reason for the entire thread is to make sure I wouldn't be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if I moved my boat
Thanks to every one else who have posted hopefully more people will come forward with experiences good or bad
Sadly I think the limited competition in some parts of the country means that the service is not as good as you'll find in other places. I know of more than 1 boat storage place where I could drive in and remove any boat there with no keys/cards/pin numbers and if I had false plates on the car any CCTV would be pointless!
Old 24 August 2014, 17:30   #28

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Sadly I think the limited competition in some parts of the country means that the service is not as good as you'll find in other places. I know of more than 1 boat storage place where I could drive in and remove any boat there with no keys/cards/pin numbers and if I had false plates on the car any CCTV would be pointless!
Hmm .. right I think action is needed .. and Ive got some ammo ... time to find out who owns these 'havens' and why is it that some companies have exclusive rights to sell hardware from the site ? I have in my posession a letter from largs about another company setting up opposite to DDZ called Prosser Marine .. Why didnt that ever happen ? I wonder .. turns our prosser are now out of business .. but this was 2007
Old 24 August 2014, 18:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Hmm .. right I think action is needed .. and Ive got some ammo ... time to find out who owns these 'havens' and why is it that some companies have exclusive rights to sell hardware from the site ? I have in my posession a letter from largs about another company setting up opposite to DDZ called Prosser Marine .. Why didnt that ever happen ? I wonder .. turns our prosser are now out of business .. but this was 2007
When we first took our boat to largs (around 2005) prosser marine were renting a sales office from Ddz & selling boats I think the plan then was to build a dedicated shed for stan prosser to work from but something happened & he disappeared to kip then went bust a couple of years ago for the umpteenth time now he's a fair line agent at Cameron house on loch lomond
Old 03 September 2014, 14:45   #30

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Just back from Largs with the rib in the marina for a few days, with us self launching and retrieving at the beginning and end of the stay.
Friendly enough staff esp the guy on the tractor launch service which we did not need but was always up for a chat and lots of advice as to where to try and get to and what to see, security ok when we were there but Jeez I thought we had bought the pontoon when we paid the bill. Check price if you are going there! Nice for a few days cruising with no tidal restrictions.