Old 05 July 2009, 02:18   #11
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Did this a year or two ago on a Dell Inspiron 8200. The hard drive is a standard 4200rpm 2.5 inch drive. I bought the adaptor case which you fit the new hard drive into and then slide it into the accessory slot on the laptop, where the floppy drive or second battery normally resides. Then use Norton Ghost to copy everything accross and make the new disk bootable. Finally take the old original disk out of the side of the lappy and pop the new disk in its place.
Or as Codders implies, you can do it all on a desktop if you have a drive with enough spare capacity to take the Ghost disk image (or your laptop doesn't have a second bay).
1. Take drive out of laptop, may need to remove from carrier
2. Connect to desktop using USB -> 2.5" hard drive adaptor (there's also ones you can connect directly to disk controller card)
3. Save image to desktop drive (after checking you have enough space)
4. Connect new drive
5. Ghost the image back onto the new drive
6. Install new disk in carrier

I was going to do this with an old laptop of mine but unfiortunately the drive died beforehand. However, the laptop did take the disk upgrade with no trouble.

Don't know what the BT Digital Vault is like in terms of restore but the external USB drive is a good option for quick local backup/restore even if you don't cart it around.

Tel 01395 227727
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 08:17   #12
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The problem is getting the right version of Ghost - the last one I saw was designed for idiots - you could back up files etc but it was all done under windows - no DOS based interface for cloning drives or anything. Why take a great product and ruin it???

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote