Old 20 November 2004, 10:45   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Landy goes to China ?

I wonder will at long last, are Landys going to be a 4x4 worth thinking about, The Chinese as announced on Sky News are taking over MG Rover.This is excellent news an injection of Asian engineering into the Rover Family, can only be good, good for everyone, especially the Rac and AA, as they hopefully will come to be more reliable in the years and months ahead.There will be no doubt that quality and relialibility can only improve as this part of the world is where it is at for building cars and engineering of them.Its a brave step on the part of the Chinese, its a big risk to take, as I have stated in previous posts, look at Defenders excellent offroad, cool looking, but are without a doubt unreliable and overpriced, you are paying for the unionised British workpractices, which hopefully the new Chinese owners will put and end to that.Its hard to get a good name, its harder to win a good name back, I hope this new venture will bring jobs to the UK and bring the Defender back into the Twentith Century with tech, and Asian Relialibility.There has to be something wrong when as Tim stated undertaking a j 24 tow from Italy to Ireland, he had 2 choices of vehicle a Range Rover 2002, and an L200 2002, the AA in Ireland wouldnt cover the Range Rover for the trip, but they would the Pickup.Hopefully senarios like this will dissapear, of course there will be losers aswell, gearbox dealers and scrap metal men will probably notice a fall off in profits now, but hey its still good news what will happen

GOODBYE GREEN BLOBS YOU HAVE TOLD THE TRUTH

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2004, 10:53   #2

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Err... LR aren't part of the Rover Group and haven't been for many years....
Old 20 November 2004, 11:19   #3

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Rover / Landrover

Thats right
2000: The connection between Rover and LandRover was broken. BMW sold LandRover (4x4) to Ford. MG and Rover Cars were bought by the `Phoenix Group' will Landrover continue to stand on its own , or will it be sucked back into Rover, now that they have been bought over?

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2004, 12:56   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Rover are now producing some brilliant cars - of course there will still be many people who will do nothing but slag them off!!! Bit like people who STILL say "All Alfas rust" despite the fact they haven't for a long time!

Read a recent review of 30k sports saloons - the winner was the MG V8 beating even the BMW 330 - and yet I wonder which one will people rush out and buy?

Rover have some seriously sexy cars coming out soon and the V8s are brilliant anyway.

Yes I know Rover USED to make some crap cars - but to be honest look at the shit other people were making as well - how many old Datsuns do you see on the road now? Were things like the sunny REALLY that much better?

Even the more exotic cars weren't perfect - the Porsche 911 had a 4 speed box and a toughned glass(not laminated) screen until quite late on - was the Toyota Celica laughed at because at 60,000 miles it needed the head off to change the timing chain?
Old 20 November 2004, 12:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
I wonder will at long last, are Landys going to be a 4x4 worth thinking about, The Chinese as announced on Sky News are taking over MG Rover.This is excellent news an injection of Asian engineering into the Rover Family, can only be good, good for everyone, especially the Rac and AA, as they hopefully will come to be more reliable in the years and months ahead.There will be no doubt that quality and relialibility can only improve as this part of the world is where it is at for building cars and engineering of them.Its a brave step on the part of the Chinese, its a big risk to take, as I have stated in previous posts, look at Defenders excellent offroad, cool looking, but are without a doubt unreliable and overpriced, you are paying for the unionised British workpractices, which hopefully the new Chinese owners will put and end to that.Its hard to get a good name, its harder to win a good name back, I hope this new venture will bring jobs to the UK and bring the Defender back into the Twentith Century with tech, and Asian Relialibility.There has to be something wrong when as Tim stated undertaking a j 24 tow from Italy to Ireland, he had 2 choices of vehicle a Range Rover 2002, and an L200 2002, the AA in Ireland wouldnt cover the Range Rover for the trip, but they would the Pickup.Hopefully senarios like this will dissapear, of course there will be losers aswell, gearbox dealers and scrap metal men will probably notice a fall off in profits now, but hey its still good news what will happen

GOODBYE GREEN BLOBS YOU HAVE TOLD THE TRUTH

Now if I had written such crap I would have been red blobbed - I get red blobbed no matter what!!!!! And STILL nobody will point out the things I have said to cause it - says it all really!!!!
Old 20 November 2004, 13:15   #6

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Have a greenie C.P. then as I hate the bloomin system too...

I think Gav is doin a spot of fishing since the weather's too bad for the Hyuscat

missus
Old 20 November 2004, 13:21   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Thats right
2000: The connection between Rover and LandRover was broken. BMW sold LandRover (4x4) to Ford. MG and Rover Cars were bought by the `Phoenix Group' will Landrover continue to stand on its own , or will it be sucked back into Rover, now that they have been bought over?
I doubt Ford will sell LR. SUV's are the core of Ford's profitability. However how much longer LR's are built in Solihull as opposed to the US, Turkey or China is another matter!
Old 20 November 2004, 18:30   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Rover are now producing some brilliant cars - of course there will still be many people who will do nothing but slag them off!!! Bit like people who STILL say "All Alfas rust" despite the fact they haven't for a long time!

Read a recent review of 30k sports saloons - the winner was the MG V8 beating even the BMW 330 - and yet I wonder which one will people rush out and buy?

Rover have some seriously sexy cars coming out soon and the V8s are brilliant anyway.

Yes I know Rover USED to make some crap cars - but to be honest look at the shit other people were making as well - how many old Datsuns do you see on the road now? Were things like the sunny REALLY that much better?

Even the more exotic cars weren't perfect - the Porsche 911 had a 4 speed box and a toughned glass(not laminated) screen until quite late on - was the Toyota Celica laughed at because at 60,000 miles it needed the head off to change the timing chain?

OK Cod,
I agree the V8's aren't bad and the new proposed TF and 75 coupe look (see Topgear) good but explain some of MG Rover's recent models. I am talking about the Streetwise and lets not go into the ShityRover sorry CityRover. The MG SV or whatever its callled hasn't exactly gone down a storm, 80 grand as well. I think MG Rover are improving but they have got a fair way to go yet.

Alex
Old 21 November 2004, 00:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
OK Cod,
I agree the V8's aren't bad and the new proposed TF and 75 coupe look (see Topgear) good but explain some of MG Rover's recent models. I am talking about the Streetwise and lets not go into the ShityRover sorry CityRover. The MG SV or whatever its callled hasn't exactly gone down a storm, 80 grand as well. I think MG Rover are improving but they have got a fair way to go yet.

Alex
The MAIN reason the SV hasn't gone down a storm is purely because of prejudice - it is an awesome car and about as worth 80k as any 80k car could be!!!

Rover have been seriously short of cash for quite some time so new models are hard to develop - hopefully things are changing.
Old 21 November 2004, 11:54   #10
TIM

Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Have a greenie C.P. then as I hate the bloomin system too...

I think Gav is doin a spot of fishing since the weather's too bad for the Hyuscat

missus

the weather has never been bad enough, for us NOT to go out.... the hysucat laughs at the worst the irish sea can come up with
Old 21 November 2004, 18:49   #11

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
the hysucat laughs at the worst the irish sea can come up with
I bet you two have a mighty laugh.

(Yerra 'tisn't proper sea at all around Dublin Bay Ye're probably jumpin ferry wakes to get a bit of fun )

Us
Old 03 December 2004, 12:33   #12

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
"Rover are now producing some brilliant cars - of course there will still be many people who will do nothing but slag them off!!! Bit like people who STILL say "All Alfas rust" despite the fact they haven't for a long time!"

Codprawn- Rover should have been buried the day Isigonis got fired.They have'nt produced one good car since 1980. Even BMW gave up. Surely its not that difficult-- you get a good original design, a good engine and transmission then just bolt it all together. If it good - it will sell ,.If its crap then just sell up. I was reading the other day that only Toyota make money.I am not surprsied look at the Prius......
Where did all that innovation and engineering go that the brits inherited from
19th. century??
Old 03 December 2004, 12:36   #13

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Where did all that innovation and engineering go that the brits inherited from
19th. century??
...Gaydon Motor Museum! It makes me cry to see what piss-poor management and Government threw down the toilet..