Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Keeping me busy / TIG

Hello All

As some of you know I’m going to have some involuntary time on my hands come the end of this month, so I’m trying to fill it with stuff to do that is worthwhile, but doesn’t involve spending any cash unless I can use it to earn some more afterwards.

Obviously that means I can’t spend all my time out on the water, as I’ll end up spending all my redundancy money on fuel – Big Shame. And can’t get on and do the long list of jobs I need to do to the boat – Again Big Shame.

It does however mean that I also can’t get on and do the long list of jobs around the house that my wife has put together, as until I have another job to go to I can’t just hand over my switch card to B&Q.

Obviously I’m available to do any project management etc that anyone needs doing, and would welcome any suggestions regarding useful courses etc to keep me busy whilst I'm prostituting myself to any corporation that may have a position.
I’m also trying to avoid night school, as I don’t want to be home all day, then go out in the evening as soon as the wife and kids get home from school.

One thing I’ve wanted to do for a while is learn to TIG weld. I was taught to Gas weld and stick weld years ago, and like to think I do a pretty good job most of the time with the 250Amp MIG in my garage that I taught myself to use. Using the Lathe, MIG, Pillar Drill and other gear in my garage I can make most things, but get annoyed when I have to pay somebody to weld up the Stainless and Aluminium for me. I can’t think of a better way to spend @£1400 than on a single phase TIG that I can use afterwards to earn some pocket money, so does anyone know where I can learn to use one, or have some advise over which one to buy. No inverters please as I want to weld both Ali and Stainless and understand they are no good with Ali.

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:06   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Nasher, if you can gas weld, you can tig weld. Buy the unit and practise. BOC lent me a wee video on tig and it was worth watching. If you chivvy your local depot, you may get lucky.

I use an inverter and although it won't weld ally, it is a good cheap way of giving it a go.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:14   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
make the stainless poly bottle holders for the A frames you can sell loads of them.

Also a bolt on stainless bracket for an A frame that would be pre drilleed to hold VHF GPS antennas
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 10:34   #4

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Nasher

If you want to go the Teach Your Self route, a TIG inverter is available from Halliday Tool Loan (Un)Ltd.
I have Argon, MS and St/St rods in stock. You will need to get some new tungstens, cos mine is are little short and you will probably go through more of them than filler rod to start with.
Sorry its not an AC machine, so no ally.
As JW says, if you can do gas you can do TIG - with a little practice.
When you get the hang of it you can teach me.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:46   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Hello All

One thing I’ve wanted to do for a while is learn to TIG weld. I was taught to Gas weld and stick weld years ago, and like to think I do a pretty good job most of the time with the 250Amp MIG in my garage that I taught myself to use. Using the Lathe, MIG, Pillar Drill and other gear in my garage I can make most things, but get annoyed when I have to pay somebody to weld up the Stainless and Aluminium for me. I can’t think of a better way to spend @£1400 than on a single phase TIG that I can use afterwards to earn some pocket money, so does anyone know where I can learn to use one, or have some advise over which one to buy. No inverters please as I want to weld both Ali and Stainless and understand they are no good with Ali.

Thanks

Nasher.
Got the wrong end of the stick a little there - inverters WILL weld ali - you just need an AC one!!!

They ain't cheap though!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INVERTER-TIG-W...QQcmdZViewItem

Is an example.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-Butt...QQcmdZViewItem

This one is a lot cheaper £990 - Butters are a good make - looks like a reputable British dealer.
Old 17 March 2006, 13:40   #6

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
. BOC lent me a wee video on tig and it was worth watching. If you chivvy your local depot, you may get lucky.

I think i may have a copy of this somewhere!!
Old 17 March 2006, 15:16   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Talking of welding just been reading up on an amazing process called "friction stir welding".

Invented by Cambridge University who hold a patent on it. Now I had heard of friction welding but this is a bit different. Specially designed for welding thin sheet alloys that normally can't be welded - saves on rivetting on aircraft wings etc which adds weight and drag.

Basically the process looks as old as the hills - best machine to use is a big old milling machine. A blunt tool with a point is used.

Also ideal for fuel tanks etc - may have a bash with my 4 ton milling machine!!!

Videos of it in action here.

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2003/FSW/aaa.html

Amazing how such a crude old fashioned looking process is better than the hi tech methods!!!
Old 23 March 2006, 13:02   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
It's not too hard to learn: I learnt at school as part of my A-level design technology. By the end of the year I had sucesfully welded a small aluminium pontoon boat together.