Old 26 January 2010, 08:28   #81
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
John by the sound of things I think you might be needing one of these:

http://www.firebox.com/product/2534/...286&via=nlprod

Can't have you running out of juice half way through the seduction now can we?

I've actually found that I don't often run the battery down to 0% in a day, and just get into the habit of charging it each night. It's certainly a long way from my old Nokia that would go for almost a week between charges, but it's a lot more than just a phone too.

If I need more power I would probably get a PortaPow USB Battery - less than half the price for almost twice the power.
Old 26 January 2010, 12:34   #82

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by

If I need more power I would probably get a [URL="http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/usbliionbatterypack.htm"
PortaPow USB Battery[/URL] - less than half the price for almost twice the power.

Yes that looks like I better idea especially if you are away from the mains for the weekend. I think the option I found would have been better if it was part of a protective case rather than just a clip-on addition.
Old 26 January 2010, 17:17   #83

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've actually found that I don't often run the battery down to 0% in a day, and just get into the habit of charging it each night. It's certainly a long way from my old Nokia that would go for almost a week between charges, but it's a lot more than just a phone too.

If I need more power I would probably get a PortaPow USB Battery - less than half the price for almost twice the power.
You know .. thats one feature I really miss from my Blackberry .. the auto on off function where you set up an on and off time for weekdays and weekends, it works beutifully and really saves on battery useage. Also it stops any spam calls at 7 am on a Sunday interfering with your cosy lie in
Old 27 January 2010, 12:28   #84
Administrator

For all the slick interface with bells and whistles, there are still things like this that should be on the iPhone.

Another one is call management where you can send individual callers, or any calls with blocked line ID, or just unknown numbers, straight to voicemail. I had that on a Nokia (or it could have been an old XDA) five or more years ago. Can't even get an app that does it on the iPhone.
Old 27 January 2010, 16:35   #85
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Another one is call management where you can send individual callers, or any calls with blocked line ID, or just unknown numbers, straight to voicemail.

If you double click the on/off button on the top of the phone this does the trick
Old 27 January 2010, 16:53   #86
Administrator

Actually I normally just leave it on silent!
Old 28 January 2010, 21:48   #87

Ok for serious business users .. the 3GS is going in the bin unless I can find a way to sort out the mess that is 'contacts' , Ive said before only two options to sort contacts ie first name last name, or last name first name is just not good enough

Silky O/S aside and the fact its got all my 'toons' on it wont save it from the dark phone hell that is the drawer in my desk muhaha ... this phone will make me crash when trying to call someone .. the phonebook implementation is garbage.. so I'm asking here if anyone syncs with anything other than outlook.... which I hate anyway that might help me get around the problem

Also switching Blue tooth on and off takes about 4 screen presses /configs to activate and its a pain cos it keeps trying to share media via blue tooth thereby fooking with your hands free connectiuon for the phone, although maybe thats just the oem connector cable to the head unit in my vehicle, but I doubt it. The Blackberry didnt have a problem, but then it didnt have all my music in it

Overall its a nice phone .. but if you need to dial up someone quick and swap vehicles and bluetooth connections think again .. lack of contact support is unbelievable .. I assumed it was so good at everything this rudimentary item would be a given .. not so
Old 28 January 2010, 21:56   #88
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Muz - I don't own one - but I know a few people who do, including some who have huge contact lists, so I am sure that there must be an app to make it easy...

...but I'm not clear what functionality you are looking for? maybe I'm confused cos' I only have about 20 contacts in my phone, and I only have 2 names!
Old 28 January 2010, 22:23   #89
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
and I only have 2 names!
Trust me, you have more
Old 28 January 2010, 22:36   #90

Quote:
Muz - I don't own one - but I know a few people who do, including some who have huge contact lists, so I am sure that there must be an app to make it easy...
I'm guessing there must me too .. I have about 480 odd which in the blackberrys.. let you display in more formats ,.. each of those contacts could contain land lines mobiles faxes or emails. The problem is that there are some companies I use who I dont know any contacts, but other companies I use where I only use the known contact, but what ever is my preferred 'tag' in a blackberry,.. the phone lets me use that .. for the contact

I just spent 2 hours tonight formatting my outlooks contact database to be in a way in which I thought the iphone would use it and see it as a fist name second name option etc etc but it didnt work, so .. and this is the crucial bit .. outlooks default fields are not mapped to the iphones default fields.

Towards the end of my outlook formatting .. a nasty feeling came over me that apple are hardly the best of microsofts bedfellows and heyy look what happened I'm sure I could work it out and manually configure it.. but if the software in the phone was up to the job ,.. it would do it for me

*edit* Even my old Nokia N95 let you have fist name , last name or vice versa and 'company' as a default choice .. none of which was as good as the blackberry, but at this level it makes the iphone contacts as useable as a giveaway phone, free from Tesco with with a 2 for one offer on andrex toilet rolls .. however I shall reserve judgement untill I have scoured the app world and google,.. just in case
Old 28 January 2010, 22:47   #91
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I'm guessing there must me too .. I have about 480 odd which in the blackberrys.. let you display in more formats ,.. each of those contacts could contain land lines mobiles faxes or emails. The problem is that there are some companies I use who I dont know any contacts, but other companies I use where I only use the known contact, but what ever is my preferred 'tag' in a blackberry,.. the phone lets me use that .. for the contact

I just spent 2 hours tonight formatting my outlooks contact database to be in a way in which I thought the iphone would use it and see it as a fist name second name option etc etc but it didnt work, so .. and this is the crucial bit .. outlooks default fields are not mapped to the iphones default fields.

Towards the end of my outlook formatting .. a nasty feeling came over me that apple are hardly the best of microsofts bedfellows and heyy look what happened I'm sure I could work it out and manually configure it.. but if the software in the phone was up to the job ,.. it would do it for me

*edit* Even my old Nokia N95 let you have fist name , last name or vice versa and 'company' as a default choice .. I mean the iphone isnt even close !
OK i see the problem - I shall ask my more social friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

Trust me, you have more
Old 29 January 2010, 06:28   #92

Ok .. so I found an app called 'Yo Contacts' .. so far so good .. come on Apple .. this stuff should be built in will report back after a days road rage and general phone abuse

Without doing anything it recognises the correct order I saved the contacts as.. so thats a start .. even when reversing fist name last name, the phone still had them the wrong way round before I used the app .. weird ?
Old 29 January 2010, 06:48   #93
Administrator

Muz, if what you really need is a business phone for lots of calls and emails then stick with the Blackberry. It's what they're good at. The iPhone, slick Jack of all trades that it is, isn't going to be serious competition (I think of it more as a very cool little computer that can also make phone calls). Throw in a bit of Apple's trademark bloody mindedness and no wonder you're banging your head against the wall.

If it's not already in the drawer of doom, you mind find it worth dropping a few quid on the "Groups" app that allows you to sort your contacts list better. It takes a bit of time to get it set up the way you want it, but works well. The other option is to use global search to find contacts - that and speed dial is how I make most of my calls.

[ EDIT: Missed your last post. Looks like Yo Contacts might do the trick! ]

The only way round Apple's stupid circle-dance for toggling Bluetooth is to jailbreak your phone and install SBSettings. I haven't done this, but it sounds like it would give you more of the control you crave!
Old 29 January 2010, 10:24   #94

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Ok .. so I found an app called 'Yo Contacts' .. so far so good .. come on Apple .. this stuff should be built in will report back after a days road rage and general phone abuse

Without doing anything it recognises the correct order I saved the contacts as.. so thats a start .. even when reversing fist name last name, the phone still had them the wrong way round before I used the app .. weird ?
OH Bollocks!! I've just binned my 7th BB Storm for an Iphone and spent god knows how many hours manually entering 571 contacts
Other than the transfering contacts issue I love it.
Cheers.
Andy
Old 29 January 2010, 15:26   #95
RIBnet admin team

Murray,

I've spoken to three iPhone users today who said:

1. No problem at all - have hundreds of contacts sorted by company etc. He uses a MacBook and transfers them from their apparently seemlessly.

2. Just use the 'search tool' as JK seems to.

3. Yes its a PITA. Apparently if you enter a contact with NO name, but a company name and save it then go back and edit it it sorts by Company but you can't do it the other way round!

It was quite entertaining to light the blue touch paper and watch the effect.
Old 29 January 2010, 17:42   #96

Quote:
Murray,

I've spoken to three iPhone users today who said:

1. No problem at all - have hundreds of contacts sorted by company etc. He uses a MacBook and transfers them from their apparently seemlessly.

2. Just use the 'search tool' as JK seems to.

3. Yes its a PITA. Apparently if you enter a contact with NO name, but a company name and save it then go back and edit it it sorts by Company but you can't do it the other way round!

It was quite entertaining to light the blue touch paper and watch the effect.
On point one .. this is whats becoming apparent, that if you dont sync with an apple product.. the default fields of your contacts program may not map directly to the iphones fields .. this isnt just an iphone issue though, I've had it with others too, but lack of flexibility doesnt help

On point two .. yes that is a fairly simple way of doing it, and thankfully it lets you search across all fields !! some phones dont, would you believe .. but the problem here is fiddlyness and speed.. every extra stare at the screen is not good for *ahem* driver & pc plod relationships

But thanks for your help/input anyway guys Its been an interesting journey as there is no doubt .. the user interface and software performance are top class

On a really great phone .. its all about speed and minimal button pushing.. which is about controlling it as much as it is about how fast it runs applications .. one phone I really loved was the first and second gen Sony Ericcsson P900 (not the last one which was a dog) It had a 4 way jog wheel on the side as well as a touch screen and I could operate everything on that phone with one hand .. it was no blackberry .. but it really worked and was fast

In regards to blue tooth operation, many other smart phones have atleast one user configurable button, as does the iphone, but its options are limited and dont include any bluetooth controls.

I think apple could do a lot to improve the phones flexibility therefor, it is a very nice piece of kit, and its shortcoming could easily be addressed by way of a software upgrade which may appear in due course. The tech is good and impressive, but its a bit Fur coat and no knickers when it comes to producing the results for hardcore phone users IMVHO I'll persevere for a bit yet to see if I can polish the contacts app up a bit .. and anyway .. I dont mind a wee bit of fur coat and no knickers ...............
Old 29 January 2010, 19:57   #97

blackberry storm piste map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have a bluetooth GPS unit that I had for a phone, so I thought I would pair that up to my Itouch and use the piste map app - no chance won't even see it! I do know they have restricted what you can do with the Bluetooth so that it isn't as good as the Iphone - has anyone else got that sorted? Or has anyone seen a piste map thing for the Blackberry Storm - that has a GPS!

You could try berryski --> berryski.com

Wouldn't let me post links. google it
Old 01 February 2010, 13:07   #98

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_goldman View Post
You could try berryski --> berryski.com

Wouldn't let me post links. google it
Too late, I'm back now! Had a look and it looks like it would have done the job - here's the link - Berryski
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2010, 07:25   #99
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Here's a fun app with speed cameras

Search on Itunes

aSmart HUD 3D +SpeedCams
Old 20 April 2010, 08:25   #100
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland