Old 30 October 2009, 06:55   #61
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
The only thing I find find an issue with it (apart from always being 12 mins late for everything) is the fact the touch screen doesn't work when you have wet hands. Very irritating sometimes.
Sounds like the iPhone is actually improving your punctuality!

I've had my iPhone so wet that it completely ceased to function, but it dried out OK. I've since discovered that the touch screen works with the phone inside an Aquapack which is a bit of a result.
Old 11 November 2009, 07:03   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Broke the glass on the screen the other day. It still works OK for now, but looks a bit crap. Apple will swap me for a brand new iPhone for £140 but I think I'll just stick with the beat up look for now!
A bit of reading up, and it turns out that it's a £30 DIY fix if you're prepared to rip into a working iPhone. I got a replacement part off Ebay from iphonerepairsuk1 and did it myself. It's a bit fiddly, but if I can do it then anyone can.

If you watch the specific instruction video that they recommend, rather than the first one you come to, then you might avoid doing another thirty quid's worth of damage in the process. I now know how to replace both the glass/digitiser and the actual LCD screen that I trashed in the process . . .
Old 11 November 2009, 09:48   #63

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
This looks a great value app for iphone, a full 'live' satnav for £26.99.
http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/200...iphone-review/
Old 27 November 2009, 15:46   #64
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
If you like your racing car games download this for your iPhone it has fantastic graphics and the best bit it's free

REAL RACING GTi - by Firemint
Old 15 January 2010, 18:22   #65

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Ok so the time came when Vodaphone were handing 'em out .. still a hundred notes or so for a 32 Gig, but I took the plunge

Results .. vs Blackberry Storm2

The iPhone is dissapointing in that it is not charged by 'ANY' of the ipod connectors I have in 'any vehicle with an apple adaptor fitted ..... what a waste of fooking time that is .. so in reality .. I cant use it to play music incase I run its battery down too much and then cant use it as a phone .. brilliant so objective one .. is defeated.

As a business phone AFAIK you can only display by first name second name or vice versa .. rubbish ... a sore point only alleviated by the fact that you can search the whole device for the name you are looking for, but of course that all takes time, and impossible whilst on the move .. yes.. yes... I know Objective 2 defeated

Syncing contacts is another story too.. only outlook 2002 or later seems to work, which means saving your other smart phones contacts in that format to work... I know there are other formats. but not in my PC

On the upside it sounds better than the blackberry as a phone and the software is crash proof .. so far.. and very slick. Because it holds all my music it is a plus, and atleast I can play it if I needed to ,.. and also sync with all me other pods via Itunes, BUT ... windows 7 has a much improved GUI for music so Itunes better look out

Over all it hasnt solved the one device does all things which is what I was looking for, I'll still need a dedicated music player because of the lack of dependance on it being charged, additionally, i'll now have to get in vehicle chargers too .. what a pain .. that,.. I was hoping to avoid I just assumed if I had a bona fide 'ipod' connector for my in vehicle stereo it would have charged the phone ipod yes .. but iphone no.... Grrrr

As for all the apps .. yeah some people have too much time any money to waste

I'm still keeping the situation under review.. and will post up if I find a way to make the dream option happen ... whats that> ...... Google phone ? ........ no mate never heard of it
Old 17 January 2010, 20:44   #66

Something better to report .. the Kenwood ipod adapder cable does charge the phone .. on first plug in it said it didnt but on second hook up it does .. dunno why .. that makes me a lot happier as two of my main motors are fitted with double din DNX 7240BT 's http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...ion/DNX7240BT/

Which is a good combination unit for gps, handsfree, reversing cam hook up, etc

So at least thats a bit of weight off my mind

Now where was I .. battery life ......

Edit .. although those kenwoods are fixed installs you can upgrade all the nav stuff via their internal DVD units including all the maps, and points of interest such as speed cams etc as they are garmin based
Old 18 January 2010, 18:05   #67

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Had mine about a month now, 3gs 16gb and pretty happy with it.

Yes you do need a specific 3GS charger that charges off the 5v usb pin and not the 12v firewire pin like ipods and the 3g do.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 18:29   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Yes you do need a specific 3GS charger that charges off the 5v usb pin and not the 12v firewire pin like ipods and the 3g do.
I think it's the same for all iPhones - the 3g doesn't charge via the Firewire pin either. I don't know why Apple made the iPods with two charging methods in the first place.

Anyway, I'm still liking the iPhone and O2 has been OK for me. My shiny new 3GS should arrive tomorrow
Old 18 January 2010, 22:21   #69

Quote:
new 3GS should arrive tomorrow
Never having had a 3GS untill now.. i'll be interested to know what you 've been missing ?

texting is the same on a BB and so is the app management except you can do it on the phone as opposed to being hooked up to a damn computer

Itunes its self is still a massive pain in the arse because of its limitations such as trying to share files 'in your own HOUSE' because of DRM I MEAN I ALREADY OWN THE CD'S WHY DO I HAVE TO RELOAD THE WHOLE LIBRARY WHEN I WANT TO SHIFT THE LIBRARY FROM ONE COMPUTER TO ANOTHER BY RELOADING THE WHOLE THING IT TAKES DAYS

Yes you can share a library ofcourse from a source pc .. but if that loses its boot record for example .. you are Fu*ked

Happy days
Old 20 January 2010, 13:10   #70
Administrator

The 3GS is appreciably faster to load apps, and render web pages. It also has a higher resolution camera with video, and a compass which should mean that nav apps work better at walking speed as they won't rely on GPS for heading. It's basically the same as the regular 3G, just a little bit better!

I don't get on very well with iTunes either. I only use it to back up my phone or update the firmware as I don't keep any music on my phone.
Old 20 January 2010, 20:40   #71

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I also hate iTunes for it's lack of flexibility- but on this particular issue, I do the following:
1. Export the library to file.
2. Copy the library file onto your new computer
3. Copy the media library (ie files) onto your new computer. They MUST go into the same location as they were on the old computer - the full path.
4. Import the library file onto the new computer.

If you're chucking out the old computer, don't forget to de-authorise the old one and also authorise your new one.
It might be possible to edit the library xml file to point to a new library path - I haven't tried. Perhaps also to import the library, then edit the library path after and it'll pick up the files already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I MEAN I ALREADY OWN THE CD'S WHY DO I HAVE TO RELOAD THE WHOLE LIBRARY WHEN I WANT TO SHIFT THE LIBRARY FROM ONE COMPUTER TO ANOTHER BY RELOADING THE WHOLE THING IT TAKES DAYS
Old 20 January 2010, 21:13   #72

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Joined the fold last week with the 32GB on Orange- life changing- i have never actually enjoyed a mobile before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
I think I'll let you do it again on mine Tim, then you might notice that it's Carlsberg and not Fosters...
That will be Carling and not Carlsberg
Old 21 January 2010, 16:13   #73
Administrator

Have you got the Navionics chart plotter app yet?

Twenty quid for full UK coverage, and it's been getting some decent reviews. Haven't bought it yet myself, but it can only be a matter of time
Old 21 January 2010, 17:21   #74

Quote:
Haven't bought it yet myself, but it can only be a matter of time
You mean once youve sold your old one .. and the competition is looking stiff
Old 21 January 2010, 18:03   #75
Administrator

I can hear Ebay calling!
Old 21 January 2010, 20:35   #76

Quote:
I can hear Ebay calling!
dont be a naughty boy now !
Old 21 January 2010, 20:43   #77

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:

Twenty quid for full UK coverage, ....
Got it, only £15 on app store for UK and holland and a bit of france/belgium fully charted.

amazing, it does pretty much the same as my £1.5K chart plotter with a £150 chart- accepting that size is not everything.
Old 21 January 2010, 21:45   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Got it, only £15 on app store for UK and holland and a bit of france/belgium fully charted.

amazing, it does pretty much the same as my £1.5K chart plotter with a £150 chart- accepting that size is not everything.
Its a phone Doug .. not a marine do it all as well and your plotter wont be scared by its arrival
Old 22 January 2010, 01:27   #79

John by the sound of things I think you might be needing one of these:

http://www.firebox.com/product/2534/...286&via=nlprod

Can't have you running out of juice half way through the seduction now can we?

Old 22 January 2010, 08:52   #80

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:

Twenty quid for full UK coverage, and it's been getting some decent reviews. Haven't bought it yet myself, but it can only be a matter of time
I have a bluetooth GPS unit that I had for a phone, so I thought I would pair that up to my Itouch and use the piste map app - no chance won't even see it! I do know they have restricted what you can do with the Bluetooth so that it isn't as good as the Iphone - has anyone else got that sorted? Or has anyone seen a piste map thing for the Blackberry Storm - that has a GPS!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote