Old 17 July 2007, 19:43   #1

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
ISP Advice

After 12 years of 'putting up' with AOL I am moving. Got my MAC code on order but not picked my new ISP yet. Looking for some advice please.

I use a home PC which will be the primary machine for the connextion its running XP. I want to be able to connect wirelessly with a MAC and also with my XBOX360.

I download music and upload pictures.

I am a techno dinasaur so it needs to be a simple install and support service.

Any thoughts?

Ollie
Old 17 July 2007, 20:04   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Is their a good ISP out there ?

You horror stories about all of them.

I've used AOL for years now and its adequate. My connection speed has slowed down lately and I use Internet Explorer instead of the AOL stuff. But it always works.
Old 17 July 2007, 20:09   #3

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Orange broadband I cant fault it, easy to install, great customer support and best of all the price £5 a month as I have an orange mobile phone.
Old 17 July 2007, 20:21   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
After 12 years of 'putting up' with AOL I am moving. Got my MAC code on order but not picked my new ISP yet. Looking for some advice please.

I use a home PC which will be the primary machine for the connextion its running XP. I want to be able to connect wirelessly with a MAC and also with my XBOX360.

I download music and upload pictures.

I am a techno dinasaur so it needs to be a simple install and support service.

Any thoughts?

Ollie
I use plus net seems to work well and is ok for my playstation connection
Old 17 July 2007, 20:46   #5

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Have a look at Zen Internet, Global Internet and Waitrose. The were the tops in the last couple of Which? tests.
Old 17 July 2007, 21:09   #6

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Plus net for us, been 6 years now absolutly no probs www. hosted with them aswell and IRL registered thro' them
Old 17 July 2007, 21:16   #7

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
We've had Pipex (in Surrey) for years - no probs until recently ... now tends to spontaneously lose connection quite regularly.

At least you have a choice though ... on IoW it's WightCable or WightCable!
Old 17 July 2007, 21:28   #8

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Go with virgin media if you can it is a cable service and does not rely on your BT phone line, very good service, and ive never had a drop out on it been very impressed with it, and at the moment, its only £10 per month, bit of a bargain really for a 2Mb service, which is more than plenty for what you want to be doing with it by the sounds of things.

If you want to use it wireless then you will need to get something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103185
this will work with the Cable modem that Virgin media will supply you with.

If you decide to go down the ADSL route (internet down you BT phone line) then you will need the following wireless kit: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/118662

Any questions feel free to PM me and ill do my best to help.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2007, 21:37   #9

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Another vote for Plusnet from me - I'm actually with Free Online, who are a part of Plusnet, and not had any problems in 4+ years - good price and good service.

Have a look here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

for other options and comparisons. Looking at their comparison page for some of the suggestions in this thread:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...p_84=1&isp_6=1

Zen seems to come out the best, though they are more expensive than others.

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 July 2007, 22:01   #10

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
My company create websites and I cannot fault Zen and usually recommend customers to them. I use this for me as well.

They are really helpful - reasonably priced - not the cheapest but very reliable. They are the sort of company that say to you that the price has come down - rather than you having to chase the latest deal.

Really good.

I have had really bad experiences with Pipex, Demon or Thus as they are known as (accounts are a nightmare - they have no idea what they are doing).

Some clients use Tiscali which has been OK.
Old 17 July 2007, 22:02   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Go with virgin media if you can it is a cable service and does not rely on your BT phone line, very good service, and ive never had a drop out on it been very impressed with it, and at the moment, its only £10 per month, bit of a bargain really for a 2Mb service, which is more than plenty for what you want to be doing with it by the sounds of things.

If you want to use it wireless then you will need to get something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103185
this will work with the Cable modem that Virgin media will supply you with.

If you decide to go down the ADSL route (internet down you BT phone line) then you will need the following wireless kit: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/118662

Any questions feel free to PM me and ill do my best to help.

Rich
The lower speed connections are fine but there are serious problems with my 20mb connection - or were. Sometimes I get the full 20mb - other times down to less than 1mb. NTL curry division said I needed a new modem and had a line fault. Of course I ran my own tests and found that it was an NTL routing problem. You used to be able to get around this by using different proxy servers but they have shut most of them down BEFORE fixing people's problems.

Never mind I have found a proxy server they have forgotten about and it is flying along but what chance would a normal user have???
Old 18 July 2007, 07:00   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong...

There are only really two Broadband suppliers - Virgin Media (formerly NTL) and BT.

Virgin Media (formerly NTL) use the same cable infrastructure used to distribute cable TV and bandwidth is shared with your neighbours, so some "throttling" can occur when all the people in your segment (usually your road or street) are using the service.

BT supply direct (BT and BT Yahoo) as well re-packaging the service through suppliers such as AOL, Orange, Plus Net, Zen, Global, Waitrose and Pipex. It's a single (not shared) connection back to the local exchange, but bandwidth is dependant on distance from the exchange.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2007, 07:55   #13

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong...

There are only really two Broadband suppliers - Virgin Media (formerly NTL) and BT.

Virgin Media (formerly NTL) use the same cable infrastructure used to distribute cable TV and bandwidth is shared with your neighbours, so some "throttling" can occur when all the people in your segment (usually your road or street) are using the service.

BT supply direct (BT and BT Yahoo) as well re-packaging the service through suppliers such as AOL, Orange, Plus Net, Zen, Global, Waitrose and Pipex. It's a single (not shared) connection back to the local exchange, but bandwidth is dependant on distance from the exchange.
There's also LLU (Local loop unbundling) which allows operators to make the last connection from the exchange to you without BT. IIRC the service provider puts their own kit in BT exchange. Generally, this is only broadband and not the regular voice lines. It's one of the reason's TalkTalk had such a nightmare because they were unbundling exchanges, not just setting up connections.

The other issue on telephone lines is that of 'contention ratios' - ie how many people are sharing the bandwidth at various points on the route. Pay more for less contention.

There'is another option if you really want speed and certainty - leased lines, but you can add a couple of noughts to your usual phone bill for that.
Old 18 July 2007, 08:17   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
My company create websites and I cannot fault Zen and usually recommend customers to them. I use this for me as well.

They are really helpful - reasonably priced - not the cheapest but very reliable. They are the sort of company that say to you that the price has come down - rather than you having to chase the latest deal.

Really good.

I have had really bad experiences with Pipex, Demon or Thus as they are known as (accounts are a nightmare - they have no idea what they are doing).

Some clients use Tiscali which has been OK.
Thus , businessserve or whatever new name they have, in my experience load of crap I'd keep well away
Old 18 July 2007, 09:35   #15

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Well thanks everyone for a great response.

I think I am going to go with Zen. They won the Mac users award so great for that and do well in customer support and satisfaction results.

Spoke with them this morning and they have a setup sheet specifically for the Xbox 360.

Ticks all my boxes.

Kind regards

Ollie
Old 18 July 2007, 09:57   #16

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Well thanks everyone for a great response.

I think I am going to go with Zen. They won the Mac users award so great for that and do well in customer support and satisfaction results.

Spoke with them this morning and they have a setup sheet specifically for the Xbox 360.

Ticks all my boxes.

Kind regards

Ollie
Think you've made the right decision - I've never regretted it.