Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
To be fair, you post a hell of a lot of stuff that nobody pays any attention to

Cod - you posted on e-borders. As far as I can see, since the IoW, Mull, Skye, etc don't have a Border there is no relevance to e-Borders. It is the same sort of approach - but not the same system (that would be way to efficient a project - lets reinvent the wheel). However contrary to the thread title a passport will not be required. Photo ID will be - but then we have had to provide that on internal flights for a long time anyway. The original article specifically says passports are not required.

It is quire bizzare - I don't see how much useful information they will get - and even if there are very rare suspicious movements it will be impressive if they can actually filter it well enough. But I think tracking people crossing by ferry to Skye is particularly entertaining - since most people drive across a bridge with no checks at all.

The article makes no suggestion that pleasure boats will be affected, and although it mentions private jets - I suspect this is "charters" rather than someone flying on a PPL.

Here is what the actual quote says:

• New police powers to collect advance
passenger data on some domestic
air and sea journeys and international
freight movements are currently
planned and subject to consultation.
Announcements on these powers will
be made during the course of 2009.

Old 31 March 2009, 10:03   #22

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Is everyone quite sure this isn't a set up for an "April Fool"
Trouble is the 'JOKE' is on the whole population,and personaly I'm not laughing,just another small step in the errosion of our hard faught for Civil Libertys....Maybe Jackie Smith would be better prepared for her duties if she did'nt have so many late nights up watching 'BLUEYS'!Ha!
Old 31 March 2009, 13:19   #23

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Is this true the government want passports/or ID for crossing the Solent? or the Scottish islands?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sle-Wight.html

If so how does this affect charter/private boats
Do you actually read the daily mail ? Do you go onto thier website in the hope of learning something ?

Tabloid papers are a disgrace but what is worse are the people who read them. Sorry, i'll just go off and take my pills now.
Old 31 March 2009, 14:14   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Do you actually read the daily mail ? Do you go onto thier website in the hope of learning something ?

Tabloid papers are a disgrace but what is worse are the people who read them. Sorry, i'll just go off and take my pills now.
I hate the Mail with a passion.

But it's not just them saying it. Basically they want to know who is leaving the country to go anywhere - probably cos they are too stupid to catch them coming in!!!

Currently passports are not checked as a matter of routine when people leave the country.

This is a telegraph article.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/17...-by-Government

"Exit controls for departure to other countries within the European Union were scrapped by the last Conservative Government. The rest were scrapped by Jack Straw, when he became Home Secretary, after Labour won the election in 1997.
However, passport inspections at ports have gradually been reintroduced as the Government looks to prevent anyone on a Government watchlist fleeing the country.
Gwyn Prosser, Labour MP for Dover and a member of the all-party Home Affairs Select Committee, said: "I think e-borders are absolutely necessary," he said. "Governments of all complexions have always been criticised for not knowing who is in the country. This is a very sophisticated way of counting people in and out."