Old 14 March 2007, 15:03   #21

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Hoover, Flymo, Coke, tired now, off to lie down
Jetski... actually the Yamaha brandname.
Biro
Bic
Dyson
Blu-tac
Sellotape
Old 15 March 2007, 07:13   #22

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
- Pedantic mode on -

Jetski was actually by Kawasaki (Yamaha = WaveRunner), though I guess by saying it was a Yam actually proves your argument in one way

- Pedantic mode off -
Old 15 March 2007, 10:49   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Hi Mate

I have already got a system fitted and now have the ipod working, although not tested on water yet but with the Verado it should be OK. I look forward to seeing your new system at Ribex, and maybe enjoying a pint or 6?

Ollie

See you there!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2007, 18:35   #24

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB007 View Post
Get yourself a wireless FM stereo transmitter - works excellent for me on boat and in car [NB: I don't think they are legal yet but apparently will be as long as they are CE Marked, unless anyone knows different!] - got mine from www.misco.co.uk Look for a battery powered one, not 12V like this

[Andy
Just picked up a battery one in a petrol station for £10.00 after looking at this thread. Only had a quick play with it but looks OK could be a bit close to Radio 2
Old 15 March 2007, 20:56   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wasn't just on about phones - there are loads of MP3 players on the market - many were out long before the IPOD as well - it's just that many people these days think an IPOD is the ONLY MP3 player!!!
Thats because it is. I'm no 'brand fan' but nothing else does it as good. Its exceptionally well made (stainless case) looks good and works almost flawlessly. It has the biggest storage capacity (at the time I bought mine), and with 400 cd's I never even took up 20% of its memory.... to my amazement Its one of the best things I ever bought ! To think I can take my entire collection with me wherever I go.. fantastic
Old 17 March 2007, 16:54   #26

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Mp3 Me Baby!!

Quote:
I wasn't just on about phones - there are loads of MP3 players on the market - many were out long before the IPOD as well - it's just that many people these days think an IPOD is the ONLY MP3 player!!!
Cod needs a ipod... its a natural fit cause of the rhyme. I am switching over to a ipod because they drive the market. Its a status symbol for the kids, that is one reason there are so many sold. They work well from what I am told and Apple has been extremely effective in their marketing strategy as well as their business plan. There are much more accessories made for the ipod so in my estimation it is the only one to buy. I don't have time to hunt down what I need for any other mp3 player so the decision is a slam dunk. I am converting all my music to mp3 files and getting rid of all my cds, they are obsolete essentially. In the very near future we will have all our favorite music, movies and photos as well as god knows what on these damn things, who knows where technology is going to end up? Why bother with cds or anything else when you can carry it all in a shirt pocket? I have 4000 songs in my catalog for the boat this summer, only 11,000 to go, plus the pictures and videos, amazing little device..
I will have the latest and greatest ipod on War Machine this year, the cd player is a dinosaur..
Old 17 March 2007, 18:11   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
And why exactly would I need an IPOD when I can use MP3s on my phone or on my Ipaq? I can also use the internet and have numerous maps and charts along with sat nav and speed camera id - what more do you want?

It amazes me loads of people carry things like pdas and blackberries etc around with them but never use their MP3 features!!!

As to amount of data - ok maybe something with a hard disk in it stores a bit more but a 4gb SD card will hold about 800 tracks - enough to be getting on with!!!
Old 17 March 2007, 18:13   #28

And talking of Ipods and the sort of reasons I would never have one - a mate of mine has just asked how does he get all his songs off his IPOD to use elsewhere? He downloaded them through Itunes I think. It is a serious question - anyone know of any free software to do this?

Of course with a normal MP3 player you would just copy and paste the files over......
Old 17 March 2007, 20:24   #29

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
And talking of Ipods and the sort of reasons I would never have one - a mate of mine has just asked how does he get all his songs off his IPOD to use elsewhere? He downloaded them through Itunes I think. It is a serious question - anyone know of any free software to do this?

Of course with a normal MP3 player you would just copy and paste the files over......
We've tried a few bits of software to do this over the years and failed with all of them. Their are bits of software out there that de regulate Itunes but they have a habit of screwing everything up. And if you've got 1000s of tracks to put on thats a lot of work to be mucking around with.

I have a seperate Hard Drive with backups of all my music in MP3 format. I've just checked it and its up to 37 GB of music now. Although my favourites only add up to some 2 GB. The other 35 GB is for a rainy day.
Old 17 March 2007, 21:44   #30

Does that mean my mate is stuck then? What happens if he wants to transfer to a computer or another IPOD? I honestly have never bothered with an Ipod for these very reasons.
Old 17 March 2007, 23:13   #31

Quote:
Does that mean my mate is stuck then? What happens if he wants to transfer to a computer or another IPOD? I honestly have never bothered with an Ipod for these very reasons.
Hrm ... this DRM thing is becoming a real issue
Old 18 March 2007, 00:50   #32

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
It is possible to take your iPod and install all tracks on a new PC or use the PC to install all tracks on a new iPod and its also a simple thing to back up all bought music ono discs, so unless you lose your pod, your PC and all back ups then you are ok.
Old 18 March 2007, 01:27   #33

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Cod, I think it odd you don't like I-pod...

Quote:
Being a Mac user I tunes works very seamlessly for me, I do not yet have my Ipod as I don't need it quite yet. I have not yet had any problems transfering music files. I don't anticipate any with the Ipod...Cod...
Old 18 March 2007, 09:23   #34

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
Have a look at Anapod Explorer, I think that will do the job.

--

The IPOD probably has a better battery life than a phone playing mp3s, and definately better than an iPAQ!

I prefer to use things for their main functions, i.e I use my blackberry for phone calls and email, and my ipod for music - although I have installed linux on my ipod, and have lots of games and other utilities on it now
Old 18 March 2007, 14:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Very nice .... thanks... solved a few problems straight away
Old 18 March 2007, 17:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post

--

The IPOD probably has a better battery life than a phone playing mp3s, and definately better than an iPAQ!

I prefer to use things for their main functions, i.e I use my blackberry for phone calls and email, and my ipod for music - although I have installed linux on my ipod, and have lots of games and other utilities on it now
Thanks - will pass onto my mate.

ipaq battery life isn't brilliant but in the car I have it in a powered cradle for the satnav - I just use a line in from my car player to the Ipaq - simple.
Old 18 March 2007, 20:00   #37

Quote:
ipaq battery life isn't brilliant but in the car I have it in a powered cradle for the satnav -
If thats Tom Tom stuff I found it woeful, the nav data was years out of date, and my ipaq kept loosing the memory card data to hold the tom tom stuff I binned it
Old 18 March 2007, 20:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
If thats Tom Tom stuff I found it woeful, the nav data was years out of date, and my ipaq kept loosing the memory card data to hold the tom tom stuff I binned it
TomTom is the best sat nav going. It can be a bit buggy but the data they use is the same as all the others - it is a lot more up to date than it was.

Mate bought a road angel - binned it and went back to his Ipaq setup - remember TomTom do stand alone GPS as well now - one of the best sellers.
Old 18 March 2007, 20:26   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I still want nautical GPS for my ipaq, but not found the nautical maps for the solent yet!
Old 18 March 2007, 21:03   #40

Quote:
TomTom is the best sat nav going. It can be a bit buggy but the data they use is the same as all the others - it is a lot more up to date than it was.

Mate bought a road angel - binned it and went back to his Ipaq setup - remember TomTom do stand alone GPS as well now - one of the best sellers.
Yea the stand alone I just bought is much better but still not the best, but the older stuff (by 2 years) was shit,.... nothing beats the incar stuff provided by the top names.

Tom Tom used to get their maps from 'Teleatlas' that also supplied to BMW AUDI etc, and there was no way Teleatlas was giving licence to Tom Tom to sell its 'latest' maps,.. which was a system you could buy from Tom Tom for 300 notes when the dealers charged £3k for a sat nav option in a new car from the same map suppliers!

Still its better than a map and a torch