Old 18 March 2007, 21:10   #41

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Yea the stand alone I just bought is much better but still not the best, but the older stuff (by 2 years) was shit,.... nothing beats the incar stuff provided by the top names.

Tom Tom used to get their maps from 'Teleatlas' that also supplied to BMW AUDI etc, and there was no way Teleatlas was giving licence to Tom Tom to sell its 'latest' maps,.. which was a system you could buy from Tom Tom for 300 notes when the dealers charged £3k for a sat nav option in a new car from the same map suppliers!

Still its better than a map and a torch
Don't know about that - a few of my mates are running around in top cars - Bentlys - Astons - Ferraris etc - they all have the same trouble with the data on the maps. There is a new section of road in swansea that was finished 4 years ago - it's STILL not on any of them!!! Not on the latest autoroute either.

By the way you can also use Autoroute on a laptop connected to GPS - I was using this in 2000 - it is NOT as good for normal city driving but is better if you are just touring around and don't have an exact destination in mind. It is also easier to use if you need to take a big detour or similar.

I also use OS maps for navigation on my Ipaq coupled with aerial photos - it's amazing -= you can actually SEE the junction you are driving around!!!
Old 18 March 2007, 21:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
I still want nautical GPS for my ipaq, but not found the nautical maps for the solent yet!
Get Ozi explorer and you can scan in paper charts!!!
Old 18 March 2007, 21:17   #43

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
There is a new section of road in swansea that was finished 4 years ago - it's STILL not on any of them!!! Not on the latest autoroute either.
You are lucky we have to warn our customers not to follow any of the satnavs they all send people down a road that was cut in half by the canal 200 years ago, unless they are on a horse as there is a horse tunnel under the canal
Richard
Old 18 March 2007, 21:24   #44

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Don't know about that - a few of my mates are running around in top cars - Bentlys - Astons - Ferraris etc - they all have the same trouble with the data on the maps. There is a new section of road in swansea that was finished 4 years ago - it's STILL not on any of them!!! Not on the latest autoroute either.
Well if your posh mates want to find out where they are going then tell them to get an Audi or BMW system then, cos I've had both, and their maps were/are spot on ! Volvo on the other hand mince(while since I checked right enough)

Also you could ask a policeman........if you can find one
Old 18 March 2007, 21:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuk3 View Post
You are lucky we have to warn our customers not to follow any of the satnavs they all send people down a road that was cut in half by the canal 200 years ago, unless they are on a horse as there is a horse tunnel under the canal
Richard

It looks like Satnav is the latest great excuse for driving like an idiot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Of course the SatNav forgot to tell her not to drive into a swollen river....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08032007/39...railway-0.html

This driver was told to turn left - so she did - straight up the railway line at a crossing!!!

Funnily enough both drivers were women........
Old 19 March 2007, 08:02   #46

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
TomTom is the best sat nav going.....
Go on.. explain that statement. I have TomTom and Garmin 2610 and I use GPS on bike, in car and truck. Explain why "TomTom is the best".
Old 19 March 2007, 12:12   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Go on.. explain that statement. I have TomTom and Garmin 2610 and I use GPS on bike, in car and truck. Explain why "TomTom is the best".

Cos I can use free speed camera databases - cos you can muck around with different voices - and it's seamless and quick recalculations of the route when you take a wrong turn are fantastic. Also it's cheap and they do loads of european maps.

Maybe it's down to personal pref but most people I know prefer it to the mega expensive in car systems or road angel.
Old 19 March 2007, 12:56   #48
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Cos I can use free speed camera databases - cos you can muck around with different voices - and it's seamless and quick recalculations of the route when you take a wrong turn are fantastic. Also it's cheap and they do loads of european maps.

Maybe it's down to personal pref but most people I know prefer it to the mega expensive in car systems or road angel.
fully agree got it running on a Dell PDA (624mhz) and it is so quick at calculating a trip and more importantly recalculating when you miss a turn etc.

and yep the free speed cam is handy (if you ever creep over the limit) and john Cleese voice makes me smile.

tried to use a Road Angle one the other day was in a mates van gave up trying to get it to navigate any where and got my tom tom out the car
Old 19 March 2007, 14:25   #49

My brother put Ozzy Osbourne's voice on without me knowing - gave me quite a shock....
Old 19 March 2007, 14:48   #50

Quote:

For speed camera I use an overlay in the POI file on the Garmin. No verbal indicator, but as I don't use "sound" on the bike I can live with that.

Ditto “comedy” voices. I use mine as navigation tools.. if I want comedy I’ll go to the Glee Club..

Cheap? Just bought another 2610 for £189 (Inc VAT) my first one cost nearly £600… Go figure .. including the latest version of Mapsource. How much is an equivalent TomTom with European mapping?

Loads of maps.. unless you happen to want to visit Ireland or “East” Europe. Do they provide more than Mapsource?

How is the TomTom routing/recording capability against the Garmin?

oh...and my Garmin has never fallen of its mounting on the bike... unlike the TomTom rider....
Old 19 March 2007, 15:23   #51

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
For speed camera I use an overlay in the POI file on the Garmin. ..
Do you? Where did ya get that, Jono?
Old 19 March 2007, 15:43   #52

..info on its way to you JW...