Old 19 January 2008, 11:21   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
..... the software is pre installed and normally we wouldn't trust it ....but they wanted it installed today.
If you took the chance, it's your fault. If the client insisted you leave it as it is to speed up installation, it's their fault. Easy.

Old 19 January 2008, 11:51   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
If you took the chance, it's your fault. If the client insisted you leave it as it is to speed up installation, it's their fault. Easy.
We don't take chances - the client was being difficult - things are very rarely black and white!!!

Old 19 January 2008, 13:16   #13

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hi Tim,In this situation you have to decide what is reasonable,and if its a black and white situation 1.you had a problem and called him to diagnose the fault and he told you his fee be it per hr or a price,if he didnt do his job then he shouldnt be paid but you will need to write and tell him why and send it recorded delivery.if however he said i charge x per hr regardless wether i fix it or not then you pay.i find it strange that the work he did was a while ago and he was happy to then send a bill.if an engineer did any work and he was happy with what he had done he would agree the bill before he left which make me think you are being taken for a ride .I personally would not pay it if its as simple as you imply but you can only be the judge of that.In the courts it will boil down to whats reasonable so if you can hand on heart say hes taking the piss, Dont Pay but also dont leave it write to him you could always give him a reference to this thread so he can see what everyone else thinks
Old 19 January 2008, 13:21   #14

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
We don't take chances - the client was being difficult - things are very rarely black and white!!!
Codprawn is right if you are offering a service the customer doesnt care how you get there or how long it takes but they do care how much it costs and he is obviously making sure the customer is happy at any cost
Old 19 January 2008, 14:30   #15

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Codprawn is right if you are offering a service the customer doesnt care how you get there or how long it takes but they do care how much it costs and he is obviously making sure the customer is happy at any cost
I do think customers care how long it takes but I'll agree with everything else you've said, I know as I've had first hand experience how things can degrade though a lack of customer care and I can tell you who'll be the one to loose out as well.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 17:20   #16

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Maybe I ahould put it into a better context than - "does a doctor get paid if his patient dies".

I once had a problem with one of our fleet cars - the gearbox suddenly started playing up - wouldn't go into anything other than 3rd and 4th. The car had done 100,000 miles and I thought it was possibly a gearbox failiure. 2 mechanics I have a lot of respect for both said that it was probably the hydraulic clutch - on many modern cars the master and slave are sealed and must all be replaced as one unit!!! I had this done and guess what - the car was still the same.

I know they spent hours working on it so I paid the bill even though the problem wasn't fixed.

An old codger of a mechanic told me it was probably one of the 4 springs on the clutch plate itself had failed. I thought this unlikely but changed the clutch - and he was right all along!!! The clutch was barely worn but 1 spring broken.

Sometimes problems are only solved by a process of elimination - and sadly that can cost money. You should always ask yourself - would I work for nothing??? Again as I said it is sometimes difficult to work out if the person is any good or not.
Old 19 January 2008, 20:44   #17

Town: Fareham
I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade, I work in a high production Paper Cup manufacturing environment, each machine pumps out up to 300 cups a min. (432000 cups a day). Yes they go wrong, anything from total breakdowns to a small crease in the side of a cup. Now to identify a total breakdown in a machine is usually an easy job, however the cause of the breakdown can be more difficult, the crease in the cup can be your worst nighmare and you might well replace or adjust 101 things to rectify this fault.

Isn't that like diagnosing engines too. You could have to most experienced person trying to fault find an engine, they can't expect to get everything right all the time. They still expect to be paid for their trouble, whether you like it or not.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2008, 04:59   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I've been in situations where I've had invoices from big companies like Volvo, who have charged for parts & labour worth over five figures and they have waived them, totally, since their engineers couldnt fix something, that took me 3 seconds to work out. Whilst their fitters were deep into workshop manuals, they forgot to check the simple and obvious things first. I appreciate an enginneers time is expensive, cos thats my day job too, and thats why I suggested paying something, but the quality of advice is what youre supposed to be paying for, not what nice trousers the guy wears.

In my experience, in my plant trade, the older boys who know the most dont tend to shout about it, but would see it as a personal failure if they couldnt sort something that theyed had taken on, thats what drives their thirst for knowledge, and it becomes a matter of personal satisfaction, when they have defeated the problem that is before them. This to my mind engenders a degree of respect for the fitter, whereas charging for a look, poor advice or lack of a result by and large does not, save for people who are paid to look then charge like loss adjusters, or surveyors
Old 20 January 2008, 13:24   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
worth over five figures
correction 4 figures 3555 was the amount
Old 20 January 2008, 15:10   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
My old union rep said to me:

"Engineers are paid for what they know as well as what they do"

You get this kind of thing all the time especially with electrical faults. It may be a lost connection that turns out to be a corroded connector etc. However it took 3 hrs to find due to no drawing or access problems. You could be there all day for a broken wire! The customer then turns around and says 'is that all it was? could've fixed that myself if I'd known where it was.' They then resent paying the 00's of labour for a recrimp or some soldering etc which takes 5 mins. This is precisely the point, they probably wouldn't have a clue how to diagnose the fault, hence the phone call to the engineer in the first place!
They can be known to hover over you and the moment you find the fault they want you out so they can fix it themselves, fair enough it's their property but sometimes they don't want to pay you for the time you have put in. A difficult situation to be put in. This not to mention the jobs you turn up at where the owner or customer has had a go or a 'tinker' themselves and is then less than honest about it!

Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote