Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 April 2013, 05:20   #1
gtb
Member
 
gtb's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 240
In car dash cam

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with specific in car cameras such as the Road Hawk?

I've been thinking about it for a while (always like a good gadget), and sods law, went to rescue my wife from an accident yesterday where she tells me the other driver was clearly driving on the wrong side of the road.

The police say the skid marks etc mean they believe her, but having the video would have proved it conclusively. I'm thinking maybe I should fit one after all...

Any particular makes to go for/avoid?
__________________

__________________
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 06:43   #2
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
Got a smart phone? There are some great free time lapse apps, that would do the job well. A mate of mine always uses his, and a photo every second or half second goes the job really well. And the apps let you set the delay between shots......
Just a thought to save you a bob or two....well worth trying...
__________________

__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 06:45   #3
gtb
Member
 
gtb's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Got a smart phone? There are some great free time lapse apps, that would do the job well. A mate of mine always uses his, and a photo every second or half second goes the job really well. And the apps let you set the delay between shots......
Just a thought to save you a bob or two....well worth trying...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm only looking at dedicated systems. I don't want to rely on my phone being there all the time as there are multiple drivers in our family, and me remembering to run the app.
__________________
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 07:22   #4
Member
 
Jonny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Honda 90 hp
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 63
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/in-ca...vue-dr400-hd-2

The D3 lot swear by these
__________________
J.M.Atack
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 07:44   #5
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
I've looked at in-car cameras several times having 'enjoyed' interaction with an out of control FFRR being driven by a complete a-h. For me they all fall at the hurdle of needing power from the ubiquitous unreliable inconvenient lighter socket with the resulting trailing wires. Too much hassle putting it in, taking it out, moving to another car ...

If there was one with a two hour internal battery I'd think more seriously about it.
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 07:59   #6
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
I went to insure my truck last year with a firm (who I didnt use in the end) that gave you a dash cam for free ... think it might have been LV but dont quote me on that
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 08:28   #7
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Im currently running a trial on an RH2 Pro fitted to one of our vessels.

Its on 24hours and has been running for about 2 months now with no probs.

Its expensive but we needed the remote storage unit and remote control.

Simon
__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 09:11   #8
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Im currently running a trial on an RH2 Pro fitted to one of our vessels.

Its on 24hours and has been running for about 2 months now with no probs.

Its expensive but we needed the remote storage unit and remote control.

Simon
What is it focused on? The fridge?

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 09:25   #9
gtb
Member
 
gtb's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I've looked at in-car cameras several times having 'enjoyed' interaction with an out of control FFRR being driven by a complete a-h. For me they all fall at the hurdle of needing power from the ubiquitous unreliable inconvenient lighter socket with the resulting trailing wires. Too much hassle putting it in, taking it out, moving to another car ...

If there was one with a two hour internal battery I'd think more seriously about it.
Yeah, I'll be permanently wiring it into the car. Even a 2hr battery would be no use.
__________________
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2013, 09:45   #10
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post

What is it focused on? The fridge?

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Ouch!!!. I resemble that remark!

No actually today its trained on the lovely looking (possibly topless??) girlfriend of the bloke fishing in a dory about 50meters off the Apex's beam... She's sunbathing while he gets his fingers smelling of fish!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________

__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.