Old 06 July 2005, 14:07   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Importing from USA

I am looking at importing some alloy wheels for my new Pick Up from the States, the cost of them is 1,324USD plus 250USD for Shipping. Does anyone know where I can find out what TAX/VAT I will have to pay in the UK on top?
Old 06 July 2005, 14:30   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Those helpful people at HMCE or whatever its called now have a webpage that should be of assistance:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_001454

Basically expect to pay 17.5% VAT, plus duty at whatever rate on the LANDED cost of your purchase. (so including freight.)

HTH,
Alan
Old 06 July 2005, 16:23   #3

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
There is a telephone number you can call to get the item category code which gives you the amount of duty. Remember that the VAT always comes last so say you have to pay 4% duty that is calculated first and the VAT of 17.5% put on the whole total after that. DO NOT FORGET, you get charged duty and VAT on the shipping costs as well, so add these to the value of the goods before doing the calculations. Yes RIP OFF Britain!!

I have just done some importing and had a horrible bill, I challenged it and the courier company had categorised it wrongly. The courier company then just paid the duty and VAT and sent me the bill, always worth double checking, I am now going through the process of getting it refunded. I will get you the telephone number tomorrow
Old 06 July 2005, 16:31   #4

Town: Newfoundland
RIP off Britain

Charging of duty and VAT on the LANDED price of something is common to all EU countries and most others. So not specifically rip-off Britain in this case at all. In fact count yourself lucky. Here in Canada if I buy a boat, or a car for example used I have to pay HST (Harmonised Sales Tax a.k.a VAT) on it at 15%. So one boat or car will have HST paid on it every time it is sold during its lifetime. Tax on Tax!