Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 September 2008, 23:34   #31
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Since it is clear that DD is fiercely committed to remain in a state of total ignorance, I won't waste my time responding to any more of his posts.
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 02:33   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Since it is clear that DD is fiercely committed to remain in a state of total ignorance, I won't waste my time responding to any more of his posts.
You may be surprised at the breadth of knowledge that the "Tubby One" has...although the rumours are that he does, indeed, have a very small weener......
__________________

__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 02:39   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
In Scotland I'm afraid .. 'Dick' size .. really doesnt come in to it with reference to controlling our deer population .. you really do sound like a git now ... come up here and learn something about it and the husbandry that goes with it that helps to manage the place.. instead of making such a brain dead comment
I have both Fallow and Roe deer roaming over my land and even through my garden, so well understand how destructive they can be. I would prefer to “live and let live” despite my wife’s protestation at the devastation that they bring upon her attempts to create a formal garden.
However when the need for a cull arises because of the inevitable conflict with humans arises, I much prefer the idea of that being carried out by a professional for whom the task is just a trade rather than someone who gets “enjoyment” from the killing…
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 08:02   #34
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 157
some of my gear.

If it was not for my 1/4 moose from the hunt there would be many a winter my two girls and I would have very little meat on the table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0170.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	37573  
__________________
dverstege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 09:33   #35
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I much prefer the idea of that being carried out by a professional for whom the task is just a trade rather than someone who gets “enjoyment” from the killing…
The fact that the taking of wildlife is not a commercial activity in North America is the single biggest reason why there is such an abundance of large wildlife in North America (even in the heavily populated US) while it has been virtually obliterated throughout most of Europe. The comment about ""enjoyment" from the killing" tells the rest of us who do hunt that you clearly have no idea of what hunting is all about.

That said, the fact that you are no longer using this message board to send deathwishes to people you disagree with (as far a I know), suggests that you are making some progress...
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 10:21   #36
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Toronto
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 71
Probably I have to be ashamed too ... Well I am not a hunter. But I kill fish on a regular basis. I do have pleasure when I find it and catch it but do not when I have to smash it with a bat to kill it instantly. Now it is a meal. I do believe the same goes to the hunting process.

Personally if it is legal and regulated I do not see any problem with it. Even more ... non commercial hunters and fisherman tend to conserve nature better than the people who don't go H&F.
__________________
dim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 11:43   #37
exspyrd trayd membir
 
The Garfish's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
I instructed archery for many years
dat duzunt himpress uz mait. weer inglish. archerry iz inn ower blud. jus axe dem frogg bastuds acrors de fkin channul inn franse. ower archerrs kild millyons ov de fkkers att de battul ov wortelew.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
perhaps Dirk would be so kind as to regale us with stories of his personal moose hunting experiences.
hee az a catt too doo iz moose huntin. an sum moose trapps wiv cheeze inn dem. heez a layzy bastud,

garF
__________________
luk arfter numbir wan, downt stepp inn numbir too
The Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 11:51   #38
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim. View Post
I do have pleasure when I find it and catch it but do not when I have to smash it with a bat to kill it instantly.
Don't do it then. Or simply catch and release.

You are either going out to get food (i.e. the prey is going to die sometime), or you are participating for sport (i.e. catch and release will allow both sides of the equation to happily carry on, at least usually), or, in the case of some hunters I know, you're simply going out to kill things (which has not yet been a part of this conversation. Hopefully won't be.)

Much of the problem here lies in people taking a firm stance against an issue they know nothing about. I have had people chastise me for spearfishing, saying you can get fish at a supermarket rather than put a metal pole through the poor fish. They usually rethink it when the issue of bycatch is brought up (Commercial fishing often takes less than half of what is brought up - the rest is discarded, usually dead, as it's not commercially valuable.) Spearfishing allows me to target a particular fish; no bycatch, no undersize fish, just the one I take.


Quote:
non commercial hunters and fisherman tend to conserve nature better than the people who don't go H&F.
True. At least usually true.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 12:17   #39
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Toronto
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 15hp, 2str
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Or simply catch and release.
No. Not my way. I would prefer to take my limit (which is normally less than permitted by MNR) and stop targeting that fish. C&R is a wrong concept. You should not exercise your reaction and etc. on an alive subject. Unless that subject agrees to go through that exercise with you. It is Ok to sparring on the ring with your partner but try it on street with unknown person - you'll be nailed by police and charged after.

PS I am not starving but simply prefer my catch over farm raised mutants.
__________________
dim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 13:25   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
The fact that the taking of wildlife is not a commercial activity in North America is the single biggest reason why there is such an abundance of large wildlife in North America (even in the heavily populated US) while it has been virtually obliterated throughout most of Europe. The comment about ""enjoyment" from the killing" tells the rest of us who do hunt that you clearly have no idea of what hunting is all about.

That said, the fact that you are no longer using this message board to send deathwishes to people you disagree with (as far a I know), suggests that you are making some progress...

...and your presumption that we have "no idea what hunting is all about" shows your ignorance. I fully understand the nature of hunting for survival.. it's killing for "fun" that I disagree with. I still stand by my comment that anyone who chooses to hunt higher mammals (Bears in this case)with a bow and arrow for "fun" deserves to be on the receiving end of a Bear's teeth and claws...
__________________

__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.